I joined!!

HIMgurlHIMgurl Posts: 4Registered Users
Hello everyone,

I have been visiting this forum for awhile and I finally decided to join. I recently had the big chop, about three weeks ago. And I have finally gotten use to having short hair somewhat.

The problems I am running into is:
how to care for natural hair
finding out what products work
figuring out what my hair type is

Right now the CURLS products are working for my hair, I need more moisture. My hair was always on the dry side even when I had it relaxed. I like the CURLS products but half way through the day my hair starts to frizz out again. It will look and feel dry.I have to use a lot of product to make through eight hours. I feel like this is wasteful and the CURLS products are not cheap!! Right now my hair looks really kinky and frizz but thats not how it use to look. I think thats just the look it has after using products. Its normally really curly and smoother looking after washing or co-washing. Which leads me to believe I am closer to the 3c/4a side, even though it doesn't look like in the pictures. Any suggestions ladies product wise??

On a side note, when I wanted curls pre big chop, I would use a leave in conditioner and oil. Braid or knot it and goto bed and wake up with pretty well defined curls. My hair use to always hold and take any curl or twist I did. But right now it looks like a poodle and I have no idea what to do!! Nor do I understand why it looks so different from the new growth I had during the in between relaxer months. I'm hoping that this fuzz will grow out and improve. In some areas the curls are in ringlets and well defined. In others its straight fuzz and frizz. I can't even feel any kind of curl pattern to it. So it could be that those strands are still relaxed and grow slower..?? I have no idea!!!

I know that the whole hair type thing is not has important as having healthy hair. But I would like to know what type I have. According the CURLS forum I fall under type 4 hair (they never said which a, b, or c). After doing research I think type 3C is closer to what my hair will look like after growing a bit. I'm sure that there is type 4 in there too.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...1259532487.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...1259532396.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...2lkZS5qcGc.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pictures, but that the best I could do at the time. I need to take pictures of how it looks after washing. I need serious help ladies!!

I posted this in another forum on here...sorry!!

Thank you
Hair Type: 3c, 4a?? not sure
Products: CURLS
3c.jpg
This is my hair inspiration picture!! Mel C and her sister. I hope to have hair like the sister on the left!!

Comments

• NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You and your curls are beautiful. Congrats on your BC. I think you look more like a 4A right now.

For moisture on my daughters hair I use shea butter mixed with coconut oil and Giovanni Direct Leave-in.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    congrats on joining the site and on your BC!

i think by looking at your pics, youre more of a 4a too, but thats not really important.

if you dont think the CURLS products are working for you, dont repurchase them after you run out. in the meantime, could you maybe add some oil to the leave in? maybe that will help make your hair look and feel less dry. my personal favorite product is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence moisture balancing conditioner[/buylink]. i cant say enough wonderful things about that conditioner!

what do you do to your hair at night? if you havent started already, maybe try sleeping on a satin pillowcase or wearing a satin bonnet to bed. that might hold your curls better too.

after i did my BC, i had a few rouge pieces that were straight and wouldnt curl too. i would always just cut them off instead of trying to work with them.
  • HIMgurlHIMgurl Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thank you NikG20 and subbrock!!

I have shea butter so I will try using that and see if it helps. I really like the CURLS products but I will try another line when it runs out. I'd like to tried to stay with one product line but I realize that may not be possible. Any suggestions?? Where may I purchase [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence moisture balancing conditioner[/buylink]?? Never heard of it before!!

I use Doo Growth Mega Thick Oil (I prefer Wild Growth Light Oil Moisturizer from Sally's), [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curl-Ecstasy-Hair-Tea-Conditioner-p-888.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curl-Ecstasy-Hair-Tea-Conditioner]Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Conditioner[/buylink], Quenched Curls and Goddess Glaze. I massage each product into my scalp and hair before going to bed. I sleep in a silk/satin bonnet as well. I do the exact same thing to my hair in the morning.

The more leave in conditioner in my hair the better but I don't know how much to put in it yet without over saturation. It looks and feels great before rinsing out the deep condtioner. I just ordered Whipped Cream and Moist Curls Moisturizer/Detangler. So hopeful it will help.

Subbrock, did those straight pieces finally curl and get better? Your daughter is just adorable!! What is the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] that you use on her hair??
    3c.jpg
    This is my hair inspiration picture!! Mel C and her sister. I hope to have hair like the sister on the left!!
    for the most part, you have to buy elucence online. pleasantimage.com has the lowest prices for elucence products that ive ever seen.

you may not be able to stick with just one product line and tahts okay. i think most of us have to pick and choose what products we like from each line.

my straight pieces never turned curly, thats why i would cut them off instead of hanging onto them.

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kinky curly curling custard[/buylink]. actually, kinky curly might be a line that might work for you. and many whole foods stores are carrying her products, so you may not have to order them online.
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    Congrats on your BC HIMgurl. Don't worry about the piece that don't curl. I BCed about 8 months ago and still have random pieces that refuse to conform. LOL. Cut them off or try to get them to curl if you'd like. I don't even mind them, I pretend they are not there. If you'd like to try something affordable try Herbal Essences conditioners. I love the none of your frizziness and hello hydration. I use them both as rinse out and leave in, I add olive oil when I leave in. Also try reducing or completely eliminating sulfate poos. As soon as I stopped using them, my unruly, frizzy patches of hair became curly again. You have to be patient, it might take some time before you figure out what works for your hair.

Subbrock: I think we are hair twins! I LOVE your hair!
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • HIMgurlHIMgurl Posts: 4Registered Users
    I really wanted to love the CURLS products but its making my hair frizzy!! I applied quenched curls and goddess glaze all day, once the products dried my hair was frizzy. Diluted quenched curls seems to work better.
    3c.jpg
    curledlove- thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file