Anyone from San Francisco?

dariequeendariequeen Registered Users Posts: 83
I'm looking at colleges in/near San Francisco (Standford, Berkeley, USF.) I would LOVE to take a college tour out there but we're on a budget and the airline fares are so expensive! :P

It would be great if anyone who has attended any one of those schools could share a bit of their experiences :D

And also, for those of you who live there (or vacationed): Is it a nice town to live in as a college student? Is it safe? Fun? How's the weather (I'm from Chicago, I'm getting tired of this freezing weather! :D)? What's your favorite/least favorite thing about San Francisco?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hair type: 4a/b, low porosity, coarse, medium density
Products: Terressentials Mud Wash, DB Peach Kernal Hair Milk, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner, Coconut Oil

Comments

• JayneeJaynee Registered Users Posts: 2,039 Curl Neophyte
    Well, I didn't go to school at any of those schools and I've never lived there, but I've lived about an hour north of SF my entire life, so I've spent lots of time there.

The first thing that comes to mind for a college student is that it's very expensive to live there. I don't know what on-campus housing is like at those schools, but it may be worth it, because rent is extremely high in the Bay Area. But, it's a really fun city with so much to do and decent public transportation to get around (parking and driving is a hassle).

As far as safety, it depends on the neighborhood. I suggest doing some research in the city you'd be going to school in, and learning the areas that are safest (which will most likely be the most expensive as well). As with any big city, SF has it's scary neighborhoods and super nice neighborhoods, and everything in between.

Weather is foggy. Summers are mostly foggy with sunny days here and there and Fall is usually pretty nice. No snow or any extreme weather.

I love San Francisco, though I wouldn't live there because I like having open space around me, it's a very crowded city (buildings and people). But it's a lot of fun, there are great restaurants everywhere you go, shopping, museums, shows, you name it, they've got it. I've spent a little bit of time in Berkeley and it's a funky city, definitely more of a liberal vibe (lots of "hippies") with lots of funky shops and good restaurants.

I hope that helps a little :)

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Stanford is in Palo Alto. It's not really near San Francisco.
  • ursulaursula Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Curl Neophyte
    I got my PhD at Berkeley. Of course, life as a grad student is very different from life as an undergrad, and I've always felt that Berkeley would have to be a very intimidating place for a college student. But I guess it depends on your personality. If you're very independent and looking for the big-school (and it's huge--I think 30,000 undergrads) experience, it's worth checking out.

The campus itself is much more beautiful than I expected. Berkeley as a city is manageably small but still worldly (Curlygirlie18's characterization is about right), and you have SF right across the bay. If you plan to live off-campus--which, as Curlygirlie18 pointed out, is really expensive--do your research. There are a few dangerous areas in the East Bay, especially in Oakland.

My final decision for grad school came down to Berkeley and Stanford, and once I visited it was an easy choice for me. For college, though, I would probably choose Stanford. From what I've seen, Palo Alto isn't a city in the same way that Berkeley is; you have to really own a car, and getting to SF isn't that easy. But, for undergrads, I'm sure the isolation helps create more of a sense of community. I'm sure a much higher percentage of Stanford students live on-campus than do Berkeley students. Stanford has a pretty campus, too. You can look at some pictures to get a sense of the architecture--it's reminiscent of Taco Bell!

Not surprisingly, the public/private school experiences are very different. Expect a lot of red-tape at UCB, but it's also much cheaper. I would also do some research about the issues the UC system is experiencing right now. I haven't been really keeping up to date with the news, but I know the school's finances are in the crapper. Because the state is bankrupt, fees have been skyrocketing.

The weather is ideal, in my opinion. Usually between 60 and 80; winter is the rainy season. The East Bay (Berkeley, Oakland, etc) is usually 5-10 degrees warmer than SF, where you get the fog and wind.

I love the Bay Area and I miss it a lot.

I don't know much about USF or UCSF.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • gekko422gekko422 Registered Users Posts: 4,869 Curl Connoisseur
    Eilonwy wrote: »

Eh, 30 miles. In the Bay Area, that's near SF.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    gekko422 wrote: »

Yeah, but I wonder how easy it is for a college student to get from PA to SF without a car. Maybe there's some kind of direct bus or something?
  • gekko422gekko422 Registered Users Posts: 4,869 Curl Connoisseur
    Very easy. There is CalTrain, Light Rail, buses, Bart, all kinds of public transportation out here. Plus, if she went to Stanford, she wouldn't want to live in SF anyway, cheaper to live on the Peninsula.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    Very easy. There is CalTrain, Light Rail, buses, Bart, all kinds of public transportation out here. Plus, if she went to Stanford, she wouldn't want to live in SF anyway, cheaper to live on the Peninsula.
    The trains are so easy. I've traveled to the Bay Area a bunch of times on business so therefore haven't had a car. No matter where I've stayed, I've always been able to catch a train into SF to meet my friend.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • dariequeendariequeen Registered Users Posts: 83

Yeah, but I wonder how easy it is for a college student to get from PA to SF without a car. Maybe there's some kind of direct bus or something?

Yep! I've heard that it's actually pretty easy to get from Palo Alto to San Francisco... About a 30-45minute ride?

Ursula & Curlygirlie18 - Thanks SO much for all the information. I am definitely very independent and looking for a school in a big city (or fairly close to one.) I think that I would rather go to Berkeley, but they don't admit that many out of state students... I think they only accepted 10% out of state students =/ I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though!

gekko422 - Ehh, yes I'm hoping that the colleges I'm looking at guarantee dorms (I think one or two of them do.)
    Hair type: 4a/b, low porosity, coarse, medium density
    Products: Terressentials Mud Wash, DB Peach Kernal Hair Milk, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner, Coconut Oil
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    The trains are so easy. I've traveled to the Bay Area a bunch of times on business so therefore haven't had a car. No matter where I've stayed, I've always been able to catch a train into SF to meet my friend.
    Hm. I spent a few years in the Bay Area, and somehow I got the idea that getting to Palo Alto was inconvenient...Maybe because I never went there :lol:

Dariequeen, I sent you a PM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file