Tipping

PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
When paying with a credit card at a restaurant, do you tip on the credit card slip, or in cash? Is one better than the other?
Minneapolis, MN
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• janeylizjaneyliz Registered Users Posts: 777
    Tipping's a bit different over here, as it's not an 'automatic' thing - and a lot of people don't leave a tip. Especially if there's a service charge on the bill anyway.

I like the tip to go to the person who served me, and not into the restaurant owners pocket - which often happens if you put it on the payment slip. Also, there's something odd in the UK with income tax and also VAT (our version of sales tax) if you add the tip to the final credit card bill. I just can't recall what at the moment.
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • bergasaurusbergasaurus Registered Users Posts: 375
    I do cash when I can, but I don't always carry it.
    No cones since 08/25/09. Occasional low poo.
    Fine, normal to low porosity (still not sure which), ii, 3a/3b curls
    Playing with products: HEBE Mousse, BRHG, AOMM, HESMU. Nothing blows my mind just yet. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Registered Users Posts: 439
    Cash so that it's more likely to go to the person that served me.
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    If I'm paying with a credit card it's usually business-related, so I have to include it on the credit slip. Otherwise I usually pay cash.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    If I have the tip amount in cash, then I use cash.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Like the other ladies, I tip in cash if I have it, but if I don't, I'll tip on the card. I figure better to have a tip that you pay tax on than none at all!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    I almost always tip on the cc slip, probably 99% of the time.

I don't like to carry too much cash, both for safety reasons and to curb spending. And my credit union doesn't have a ton of ATMs, so cash is hard to come by without some ridiculous ATM fee. So I'm very stingy about using cash for transactions of any kind.
  • KraytKrayt Registered Users Posts: 765 Curl Neophyte
    If I pay by credit card, tip goes on the slip.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    Always in cash. I want to make sure my server gets the tip. I don't trust that to happen when it's left in someone else's hands. And having been a waitress, I liked getting my tips immediately.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Registered Users Posts: 3,413 Curl Neophyte
    I always added on the cc slip. But, I've never considered that it might not actually make it's way to the server. I'm going to try to tip with cash more now.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    I tip on the slip because where I go to school there are no Chase banks and I refuse to use another banks ATM and get charged!
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    In theory I would tip in cash if I had it but 99.9% of the time I don't have cash or the right change.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    In theory I would tip in cash if I had it but 99.9% of the time I don't have cash or the right change.

Yeah I can see good reasons for tipping in cash, but DH and I never carry cash so it's always on the credit card slip.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    I tip in cash, unless I don't have enough on me.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • kg91308kg91308 Registered Users Posts: 327
    DH usually pays when we go out to dinner on his cc and also puts the tip on there. Whenever possible I try to leave cash for the tip. As an ex-waitress I always appreciated it because at the end of the night you had to claim you tips for taxes and credit card tips are tracked. Can't track cash so you don't have to claim it. Also, if you work in a place that requires you to "tip out" your bartender or hostess at the end of the night, you do it regardless of if the tips were cash or on a cc... it is based on a % of how much you did in sales for the night. And all the restaurants I worked at, you left with all of your tip money at the end of the night, every night. So it's nicer to leave cash, but definately pt it on the cc before you don't leave a tip. And please remember that if your food takes a long time to arrive, it's not your waiter-waitresses fault, they do not cook your food; cooks are paid hourly most places, still tip your server if they did their job well! (so glad I don't have to wait tables anymore)
    Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to! :toothy10:
  • fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    CC
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    I always put the tip on the credit card slip.

I used to wait tables and any tips on credit cards were given to you in cash by the manager on duty when you cashed out at the end of your shift. I doubt that has changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    We usually tip on the CC we charge the meal on. We also do not carry much cash.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    cc
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    I'm feeling a lot less guilty. Thanks! :D
    Minneapolis, MN
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    misspam wrote: »
    I always put the tip on the credit card slip.

I used to wait tables and any tips on credit cards were given to you in cash by the manager on duty when you cashed out at the end of your shift. I doubt that has changed.

This.

And there's plenty of ways to get around claiming all of your tips. I doubt any server who knows the business is claiming every penny of tip he or she gets, credit card or not.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    Almost always tip with cash -- I rarely use my cc in restaurants.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I do both, depending on the price of the meal and how much cash I have on me, if it's a personal meal. I'm a good tipper, having been a waitress in a former life, and if the meal is at all pricey, I likely don't have the cash.

If it's on the expense account, I always put it on the cc slip so I can be reimbursed for it.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    We pay our credit card off each month. The reason for using it is (a) cash back and (b) convenience. If our main reason is cash back, then I am not about to cheat myself out of what can go on my credit card bill just for the convenience of cash for the server. We just hope the system works in favor of the server.
    3b/c
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I use my credit card and pay it off each month. I save my cash for when my kids need it - which seems like ALWAYS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    I didn't vote in this poll but for some reason nc.com claims I picked the credit card answer.

Almost always cash. I generally give myself a set amount of cash each week and spend that, so even if I'm paying with a credit card for a meal for some reason I still have cash on hand.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file