Internet without phone or cable?

Anthro IncarnateAnthro Incarnate Registered Users Posts: 555 Curl Connoisseur
Moving to a new place, have to set up all utilities from scratch. Opportunity to take a good look at what I really need or want.

I can and have lived without a landline, cable, and home internet (yes, all at the same time). Cell phone, antenna, and neighborhood coffeeshop were all I needed. I'm still okay without cable (I don't even own a tv right now) and a landline, but I'd like the convenience of broadband from my bed.

I would like to figure out the cheapest/best way to get internet without having to commit to other things like cable or a phone line. My cell service is through T-Mobile (love that they don't require annual contracts), and I'm wondering if their data plans would cover my internet needs.

Anyone have experience with this or any other ways to get broadband without a pile of bills? Other than stealing wi-fi from the neighbor, of course.
póg mo thóin

Comments

• duckyducky Registered Users Posts: 927
    I have internet from a cable provider. I know I pay more than if I had internet + phone + cable television, but I would rather pay a little more than have stuff I don't need. If I want to watch a show, I'll find it online. I haven't had a land line in almost five years.

I don't know about internet through cell service - I've never done it. I'll probably stick with ethernet - I doubt I'll ever have TV or a land line again. DH and I tried to go through AT&T, since they had the best deal on just having internet, but after they sent us two broken modems, we decided to go with someone else.

Good luck!
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    Do you have Clearwire in your area?
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to get dry loop DSL through Verizon, but that was a few years ago.

I go through a cable company now, and you don't need phone or cable to get it. I think we pay about $30 a month for it.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    I have a dongle from Vodafone that plugs into the USB plug on my Mac and connects to the internet through the mobile phone network so I don't have to have a landline or cable for my internet to work.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    I think Netzero offers internet access only. It's what we had before switching to another provider. (because we wanted to bundle phone, cable and internet together).

Good luck!
    Sherry
  • XyzXyz Registered Users Posts: 685
    I use my cell phone as a modem. I have Sprint PCS. You can get the Lotus phone, which is pretty cheap right now with the rebate, and it plugs into your laptop and you can get internet anywhere. My modem service is only $39 per month. The only problem is that you do have to sign a two year contract for the phone - not the internet service.

I have a mac, so I think their data services work with any computer.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I've had cable internet, without phone or cable tv, for a few years now. No hassles, no problems, $39 per month. I watch all tv and movies online (on my laptop or thru hdmi cable to my tv).
    My cell is $59 per month, so for less than $100 per month everything is covered. It has worked great and saved me lots of money.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    I may have to go that route and I'm looking into satellite internet and tv. I'll report back later.
    hello.world.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    I have my DSL/ Wireless on a dry loop from Verizon.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • Anthro IncarnateAnthro Incarnate Registered Users Posts: 555 Curl Connoisseur
    Good ideas. No Clearwire in my area, but it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for -- a true mobile broadband network not dependent on any other service. It looks like T-Mobile actually requires a pre-existing connection.
    póg mo thóin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file