Thank you for submitting your answers to the questionnaire!

fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
update:
my daughter has read all of the answers and has selected 2 responses that will be part of her paper. thank you again!

Only if you feel like it, would someone or a couple of you please answer the following questions; it's for my daughter's paper for a course she's taking called Anthropology of Today's World. My daughter has to ask older strangers these questions and I just figured why not put them online. I think she only needs 4 people to respond. I'll format it so all you have to do is quote me and fill in the answers next to or under the the questions. It's long so I really really appreciate the time you're taking to answer.

Who cooks in your household?

For how many?

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)?

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals?

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members?

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out?

Is cooking part of your identity?

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen?

Do you feel burdened by cooking?

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)?

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression?
How so?

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression?

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value?

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare?

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking?

Where do you shop for your food usually?

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA?

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options?

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years?

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices?

Environmentally-conscious choices?

Social justice issues in food choices?

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I just want to say thank you to anyone who answers these questions, there are a lot of them. I really really appreciate it. Thanks again! :wave:

Comments

• fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    I just wanted to add for clarity that she also has to ask her peers and older people she knows these questions.

She asked me the above and I answered the questions very briefly-you know, yes/no. Basically I said that if I didn't need food to survive I would never cook; food = fuel.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    Who cooks in your household? My fiance mostly

For how many?
    Just two of us

I make breakfast and lunch for myself, fiance makes dinner

Almost none, I am more of a spur of the moment person

No way, if you don't like it don't eat it

I don't like cooking

No

Only at baking

When it is my turn, yes

I feel like it won't be good enough

No
    How so?

A little of both. My mom did it for years to feed her family, my fiance does to as a way to relieve stress

Not particularly

Haven't thought about it

I cook only what I know

Hannaford

No, there isn't one close by

I get food from my family garden

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years?
    More men cook than they used to

Maybe for some, but old habits die hard

Not in my household

No

Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Me.

For how many?
    One.

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? All.

Varies ----usually 2-3 hours. Sometimes more.

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? Yes: mine.

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? In between.

Is cooking part of your identity? Yes.

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? On the low end, but I can manage.

Do you feel burdened by cooking? Not really.

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? I'm absent-minded and burn things more than I'd like (especially toast in the broiler).

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? Empowerment.

How so? Empowerment: I eat what I want, controlling the ingredients and the style of the dishes I prepare.

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? Both.

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? Yes, absolutely.

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? It makes me happy to eat well.Eating with others often reveals either the wealth or the poverty of their ability to experience pleasure, imo.

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? I put off washing the cutlery until I'm down to plastic spoons and forks.

Where do you shop for your food usually? A high-end grocery store, or Whole Foods, or a farmer's market.

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? Yes, in season.

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? Please see above.

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? When I was married, my husband handled the cooking, as he had more patience and skill than I. But I have friends (or rather, a friend), with a husband who expects her to cook, regardless of health or infirmity (such as when she was in a wheelchair after foot surgery). My father could do little beyond burn meat in the kitchen, despite being of French background.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? I'm middle of the road on such issues, but across the country as a whole, certainly.

Environmentally-conscious choices? Somewhat. This depends on where you live, I feel.

Social justice issues in food choices? I hope so!

Is there anything else you'd like to add? More people should go vegetarian, for health and anti-cruelty reasons.
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    Who cooks in your household? Mother dearest

For how many?
    When I'm home 4, other than that 3

In school all 3, home lunch & dinner

Alot, I cook almost every day when in school

I've never cooked at home but I would

Yes I like cooking

No

A little bit

Sometimes

Does having it not taste like my mom's or grandma's cooking count as a conflict?

How so?
    I would go with empowerment because it allows you to be more independent; ie not relying on mom to cook your meals.

It can be both

Yes, you have to buy the ingredients and the tools with which to cook. You can also sell the food you make to make a profit and buy things later.

Im not sure

I just deal with it, if I don't cook then I have to spend money on ordering out when I already spent money on ingredients. Cooking = $$ saver and healthier.

Supermarket & Walmart. Though I would like to go to a farmer's market, not sure where to find one where I'm at.

I've bought apple cider donuts from a farmers market but nothing else. I look forward to buying more from a farmer's market.

I don't really know the local food system around where I'm at.

I detest washing dishes and mopping, I would rather cook than do those.

Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

No.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    Who cooks in your household? I do.

For how many? For two --- myself and my roommate

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? Dinner, snacks, dessert, breakfast/brunch if we are both here early enough.

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? Not much. I cook very seldomly. I do usually know what I will make on my days off.

N/A, but no. I cook as I want to eat, and I trust that people will enjoy it. Good food is good food.

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? Of course I
    do!

Is cooking part of your identity? Yes

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? Yes

Do you feel burdened by cooking? No

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? No

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or
    oppression? Empowerment, absolutely

How so? I feel at ease and in control. I bake when stressed (bread in particular helps take the edge off). I also almost never feel like eating what I cook, so it's the actual cooking and having others enjoy it that gives me a sense of fulfillment. Plus I love being able to eat what I want when I want it and knowing exactly what I put in my food. I choose to not eat hydrogenated fats, and therefore I don't buy anything that has them. That's empowering.

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? Self-expression, but a service in that I enjoy doing it for others.

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? Well, considering I work with food, yes, but what I do at home isn't really work to me.

See above.

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? I am not sure what the disliked aspects of cooking would be.

Where do you shop for your food usually? Farmers market, Whole Foods, local supermarkets for ethnic foods, local specialty food stores like Kalustyan.

I go to the various markets around the city and cook strictly according to season. I would love to be part of a CSA, but I can't afford to at the moment. Things like eggs are always bought at the market and nowhere else.

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? N/A

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations
    changed over the years? Cooking at home tends to be seen as a feat, when for some of us, it's a natural thing. I grew up eating home-cooked meals and very rarely had junk food. Seems like people now are afraid to cook and see it as more difficult than it is. Nobody wants to spend time in a kitchen anymore.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? Yes, but this is misleading as a lot of what's "healthy" really isn't.

Environmentally-conscious choices? I think this depends on where you live.

Social justice issues in food choices? Same as above. Here in NY, the localvore movement is really strong and there are many thriving markets where sustainably and humanely raised produce and meat can be found.

That I truly wish more people would cook by season and see the importance of supporting local agriculture. Also, that cooking is much easier than most think!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Who cooks in your household? Moi

For how many? 1

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? Dinner, if anything.

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? 15 mins

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? N/A

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? Like it.

Is cooking part of your identity? I've never considered that before. I'd say, "No," but it is important to me.

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? Yes.

Do you feel burdened by cooking? No.

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? None that I can think of.

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? For me it's neither. It's just a form of expression.
    How so?

See above.

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? Do you mean, is the cooking I do equivalent to X hours of work outside the home? If so, I'd say No.

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? It has an emotional value. It shows the people I'm cooking for that I care. I guess you could call it my "love language."

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? For me, that would be cleaning. I just procrastinate.

Where do you shop for your food usually? WalMart

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? Rarely.

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? Only when I pass by a farmer's market.

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? Women aren't as expected to be the sole cook in the home. But there's still a subtle expectation for women to be the primary cook at home.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? Yes and no. The popularity of organic foods and vegan options has increased, but at the same time the rate of obesity has increased too.

Environmentally-conscious choices? Yes.

Social justice issues in food choices? Yes.

Is there anything else you'd like to add? Good luck with your paper!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    Who cooks in your household?me

For how many?3

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)?breakfast and dinner; on the weekend all 3

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals?7 hours?

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members?unfortunately yes

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out?i love cooking cause i love to feed people

Is cooking part of your identity?for sure

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen?very

Do you feel burdened by cooking?at times

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)?nope

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression?hmmm... no
    How so?

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression?self expression

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value?for sure

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare?they show my love thru caretaking

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking?i avoid thos etypes of meals/dishes

Where do you shop for your food usually?wegmans

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA?Yes

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years?they have not for me; I am very traditional when it comes to feeding people

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices?always have been, but yes, even moreso

Environmentally-conscious choices?when affordable

Social justice issues in food choices???

Is there anything else you'd like to add?My food comes out MUCH better when I am in the mood to cook or doing so optionally as opposed to out of necessity.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Registered Users Posts: 5,219
    Who cooks in your household? Me and sometimes my husband

For how many? 4

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? All of them

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? Depends on how often we eat at home....between 7-8 hours in total I guess

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? I try to make things everyone likes but I don't go out of my way or make separate meals

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? I like cooking meals everyone really likes but most of the time I'm cooked out

Is cooking part of your identity? No.

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? To some degree. I lack originality

Do you feel burdened by cooking? Yes, sometimes.

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? I'm clumsy and get irritated if I spend alot of time making something no one likes.

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? I can see it both ways
    How so? Empowering because I control what my children eat but opressive because it feels like a job sometimes.

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? Service if I had to choose

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? Definately.

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? Of course spending time as a family together. Most good memories I can recall have been spent at a dinner table.

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? I just have to tell myself that eating out is not as good for me or as economical.

Where do you shop for your food usually? Local stores that sell the cheapest.

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? I don't have one available but would use it if I did.

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? Again, not really available where I am.

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? Of course the shift in gender roles plays a factor as well as our focus on health and nutrition (or lack thereof), along with lack of time.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? Yes.

Is there anything else you'd like to add? No.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

wow! so many responses already! i'm verklempt...:love5:
    Saria wrote: »
    I am not sure what the disliked aspects of cooking would be.
    I sure wish I had this attitude. :confused1:

Here are the things I dislike about cooking:
    Cleaning or cutting chicken or vegetables
    Washing dishes
    The anxiety of preparing something new
    Spending so much time cooking that you're not hungry anymore
    Having lingering food smells in your house

I manage by preparing simple meals and I have a diswashing machine.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    frau wrote: »

Who cooks in your household? Hubby and I share the load.

For how many?
    Usually just 2, but more if we're having a party etc.

Just dinner, we sort ourselves out for lunch and breakfast.

No idea, it probably varies.

Usually I cook whatever I feel like, unless its some kind of celebration.

I love it.

Yes, I'm good at it, I love it, my friends and family love my cooking.

Damn right I am.

Occasionally, mostly just if I'm tired in which case I usually get takeaway.

Hmm, not really...I sometimes feel bad about only cooking gluten free food when everyone else could eat gluteny foods. Does that count?

How so?
    Empowerment, I'm good at it, so it boosts my self esteem.

Both.

I guess it could.

Yes.

Takeaway :)

Green grocer for fruit and veg, Indian or Asian grocer for spices and an occasional trip to the grocery store for everything else.

Yes.

Yes.

I think men (or at least my man) do more in the kitchen than they used to. Its shared work eg. one of us cooks, the other does the dishes.

There has in my house.

We mostly cook from scratch, so yes...at least in my house. But I know a lot of people eat frozen meals etc which have so much unnecessary packaging.

Yep, we always buy free range eggs etc, also we try to buy free trade products (coffee etc) when available.

/quote]
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Registered Users Posts: 3,413 Curl Neophyte
    Who cooks in your household? me

For how many? four

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? lunch, dinner

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? 10 hrs?

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? somewhat

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? only like cooking what I like

Is cooking part of your identity? no

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? no

Do you feel burdened by cooking? yes

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? I don't like cooking for my less than encouraging family

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? no, just a necessity
    How so?

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? service

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? yes

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? enjoyment, social

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? I only cook what I am willing to eat

Where do you shop for your food usually? supermarket

Do you use a farmer's market or
    CSA? no

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? yes

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? convenience foods make it faster, but less healthy

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? yes

Environmentally-conscious choices? yes, in packaging

Social justice issues in food choices? ???

Is there anything else you'd like to add? no, thanks
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Who cooks in your household? My husband and I both cook

For how many?
    Four

Dinner, occasional breakfast or lunch

Maybe 6 to 8

Yes, I make things that I hope everyone will enjoy

I like cooking.

I guess it is. I think I am considered a good cook and baker by people who know me.

Yes.

Sometimes, but mostly I enjoy it.

Not really.

Empowerment
    How so?
    I like controlling what I eat (as opposed to letting some focus group at RJR Nabisco making those decisions for me). It makes me feel self-sufficient that I can prepare food. And I think it is magical that a dish is so much greater than the sum of its parts.

Both. I think I do express myself in what I cook and how I do it but the fact that I am cooking to nourish and please others is also a huge part for me, an act of love.

Yes. I think my family saves money (and eats better) by having home cooking vs. prepared stuff.

The enjoyment I get in making it. There is definitely aesthetic value in it. And I guess I feel some prestige and pride if I make something that comes out great, so there is value in that.

The only thing I dislike is cleanup, and I manage it by cleaning as I go so I don't have a huge mess left in the end. Also, my husband helps clean if I cook and vice versa.

Supermarket, CSA, greengrocer, health food store, fish monger, some ethnic markets.

Yes, I joined a CSA in 2009

I'm still thinking about it, trying to find better meat options.

I can't speak for society, just my experience. I know I expect people of both genders to participate in cooking and cleaning, whereas when I grew up it all fell to my mother. Also, I was raised by a mother and grandmothers who were good cooks, so taste has always been important, but I think we are all more conscious of health and nutrition now.

Yes and no. Some people are definitely more health-conscious and it is easier to find healthier foods even in mainstream supermarkets. But a lot of people are so alienated from cooking and food I think they try to be more health conscious but it just means buying the latest packaged crap with the latest health claim.

Again, yes and no. Depends where you are. Where I am, definitely.

Yes, in my own circle people are more conscious of it.I don't know about the country overall. I think there is a lot of willful ignorance about the environmental and social impact of food.

Someone (maybe Sairis) said that people see cooking as this mystical thing that only the select few can do, which is pretty sad, IMO. That people have become so alienated from something so basic that they need to buy frozen PB&J sandwiches. I wish everyone would learn to cook at least one dish from scratch.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    i figured social justice issues in food choices had to do with migrant farm workers rights or buying american grown food. i dunno.
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    i figured social justice issues in food choices had to do with migrant farm workers rights or buying american grown food. i dunno.

Yes, but there's more to it than that. For example, supporting local agriculture means that the farmer gets full value for produce, as opposed to a few cents for say, a head of lettuce that would be sold at the supermarket at a cheaper price. That's without taking into account that supermarkets only want perfect specimens of something, so there is no market for a gnarly-looking carrot, or a beautifully ruffled eggplant, or perfectly ripe tomatoes because they don't travel well. Basically, there's a lot more to it than most people realize.

And okay, I do hate washing dishes, but I try not to think of that as part of cooking. :p
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • SpringcurlSpringcurl Registered Users Posts: 8,002

Me
    For how many?

One or two depending if my daughter is home from college.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner

7 to 10

Yes

I like cooking

No

Yes

Sometimes

No

Empowerment

How so?
    Because I'm saving money by cooking meals rather than eating out.

Self-expression

Yes

Yes. Health and caloric value

I'll try to cook something easy and non-labor intensive on the nights I don't want to cook.

Grocery store

Farmers Market

They haven't.

Yes.

Yes

Yes

No
    TWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gif

Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang

• curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Registered Users Posts: 1,340
    Who cooks in your household? 1 somtimes 2

For how many? 4

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? 3 per day

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? 7-10 hours a week

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? Yes, but within reason they still have to eat healthy

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? cooked out

Is cooking part of your identity? I'm known for going out on a limb with cooking sometimes, but besides that no.

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? Sometimes esp. this Thanksgiving when I made a Cranberry Orange Pie and it was awesome!!

Do you feel burdened by cooking? Sometimes

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? Not really

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? Not really. I'm sure some people see it one way or the other to me sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's the pits.
    How so?

Both on occasion

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? Sure

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? Spending time in the kitchen with my kids can be a blast.

I just do what needs to be done.

Wal-Mart

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? Yes

Men can cook more now without it being weird.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? I think there has been a big push towards it.

Environmentally-conscious choices? Yes when possible

Social justice issues in food choices? Yes when possible

• fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Who cooks in your household? I do.

For how many? Just me.

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? Breakfast and dinner; usually eat lunch out during the workweek.

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? As little as I can manage -- I'm really not sure.

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? It's just me . . . but if I had a family I would take their tastes into consideration, but would not "cater" to them.

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? Don't enjoy cooking. It's a necessary chore.

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? Yes, I'm quite good, actually.

Do you feel burdened by cooking? Yes.

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? Bothers me that it takes so long to put together a great holiday or other meal, and it's gone within 1/2 an hour!

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? Not for me. Just a necessary evil.
    How so?

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? For me, it's a little of both. If I'm cooking for others I do feel proud that I can make a dish my own and have others enjoy it.

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? Not sure.

It's food. We eat it.

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? Just put my head down and do it.

Where do you shop for your food usually? Smallish grocery store. Prices are a little higher but I hate huge stores.

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? No. For me, it's mostly a time issue.

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? The store I shop at has a local food section, which I use as much as possible.

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? More emphasis on local foods, healthier foods, wider range of choices and multi-national cuisines. Men are more likely to cook for their families than when I was growing up.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? Yes, among some people. But the junk still rules.

Environmentally-conscious choices? Yes, when possible.

Is there anything else you'd like to add? No
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • MoppyTMoppyT Registered Users Posts: 998 Curl Connoisseur
    Who cooks in your household? Usually me, but only he ever bakes or makes dessert.

For how many? 2

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? Dinner during the week, but more meals on the weekends.

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? Probably not more than7-8... it depends on what kind of free time I have.

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? We pretty much like the same things.

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? I like it a lot, actually. I wish I had a bigger kitchen and more time.

Is cooking part of your identity? Maybe a little. There are a few specific dishes I'm "famous" for among my friends.

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? I'd say so. My instincts are good, and I'm very resourceful/creative.

Do you feel burdened by cooking? Nah. If I ever don't feel like it it's no big deal for him to pick it up or for us to just order something.

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? Nope.

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? Not really either.
    How so?

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? Self-expression through service? It's a service I enjoy providing, if that makes sense.

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? I suppose so.

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? I value the experience of trying something new; I also put value on contribution and community, like a potluck meal, for example.

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? I have a very small kitchen, so I have to try to keep it neat if I want to work in it.

Where do you shop for your food usually? Supermarket

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? I used to get a produce box every week, and liked it, but I stopped the service because I found I didn't have the time to use it all up before it either went bad or the next box arrived.

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? I probably won't re-start the service at least until I'm done with grad school.

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? The nuclear family is no longer the only accepted norm or default. More people are going to college, even obtaining advanced degrees, which usually has them pairing off later in life, which in turn has them starting a family later, or not at all. There is not as strong an emphasis on grow up, get married, have baby, repeat as there once was, and things like cooking take on more of a hobby role for a lot of people.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? Yes.

Social justice issues in food choices? I'd say so.

Is there anything else you'd like to add? I don't think so.
    The best revenge is living well. The second best revenge is fire ants.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    Who cooks in your household? Me

For how many? 1

All of them

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? Not much

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? No

Depends, sometimes I like it, sometimes I can't be bothered but do it because I have to eat

Yes

Fairly, I think we can all be skilled in the kitchen if instructions are followed

No
    Nope

How so?
    Neither one nor the other

It can be both to me. Service = cooking to eat, self-expression = entertaining and eating

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? I suppose if I sold it. But otherwise no

no

Like washing up? I just do it.

Where do you shop for your food usually? Supermarket

No, but I'd like to

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options?I want to go to the local market but it's always on Saturday and I work every other Saturday so I can't go when I want to

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? More men cooking

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? For me? I've always eaten healthy food. For others? Judging by what's in their shopping trolley, no.

Environmentally-conscious choices? I'd rather buy seasonal food and not stuff that has been shipped halfway around the world, but I don't always do that.

Social justice issues in food choices? I doubt it.

Is there anything else you'd like to add? nope
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte

I do.

For how many?

I live alone, so it's just me unless I have guests.

All of them unless I am buying premade.

It depends on the meals. I work in a grocery store, so I tend to shop daily for many of my needs and I tend to eat what I'm in the mood for at the time.

Well, lol, as I live alone that is easy.

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. That often depends on how busy I am at work.

No.

I'm no Saria, but I do well enough unless it's pastry related.

At times. That's when I get the frozen or boxed meals from TJs.

Not usually.

How so?

It can be either one. If I were always cooking for a lazy demanding man, I'd feel a bit oppressed about it.

It can be both depending on the situation.

Yes. Everyone has to eat.

Time, effort, love of the dish? Family history? CUltural value?

Well, you don't see me baking often, lol. CLeanup I just do because there is no one else to do it.

Trader Joe's since I work there. The rest will be answered in the following questions.

Farmer's markets are usually open when I am at work, so I don't use them very often. I do use out local Co-op for local produce and locally pastured meats as my budget allows. If I can't buy the local meats, I just get stuff at work.

see above

I think that more men are involved now.

Personally, it just depends on my mood. I know that grains make me gain weight in my midsection, but I do like to indulge too.

Societally, we know more, but, in many incomes and places, the cheapest and easiest to get food is also the most unhealthy food.

Green is trendy right now. I still buy mangoes even though they aren't grown near me. Same with grapes, bananas, foreign cheese, etc.

I've seen articles about treatment of field workers and the use of illegal immigrants in field labor. I know of no way to know how my produce was picked.

Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think mine will be helpful but I'll answer anyways..

Who cooks in your household? My mom and dad, but mostly mom

For how many? 4

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? none

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? none

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? n/a

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? never liked it, but it's not so bad

Is cooking part of your identity? no

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? only at cleaning it

Do you feel burdened by cooking? n/a

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? no

Do you see cooking as a means of empowerment or oppression? no, it's a means to eat.

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? service

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? n/a

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? n/a

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? when I used to cook a little, I would just see it as a task that had to be done. talking on the phone during helped a lot.

Where do you shop for your food usually? food depot, kroger, sometimes farmers market

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? yes

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? men are expected to do more(like kids) but it seems like women are still running the kitchen in general.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? yes

Environmentally-conscious choices? yes

Social justice issues in food choices? not sure

Is there anything else you'd like to add? I've never understood gender roles for the kitchen, especially since I hate cooking but love eating. There are men out there that love cooking and don't mind doing all or most of it(as women have been doing for decades). I found one and my ex was like that too, I guess just natural selection. I hate it when people think I will eventually have to learn one day if I get married just because I am a female. One guy actually told me this. And my sister(she has changed her opinion on this now).
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Registered Users Posts: 3,465
    Who cooks in your household? Me, mostly.

For how many? Two.

What meals do you usually prepare (ex. breakfast, lunch or dinner)? I prepare breakfast and lunch for myself, then cook dinner for the both of us.

How much time do you spend a week preparing for meals? Not much. Maybe a couple hours to make a grocery list and shop, another couple hours to cook the actual meals over the course of the week.

Do you attempt to cater to the tastes of family members? Yes, and it drives me crazy. I'd feel bad if he didn't eat anything because I only cooked foods I like, but I'm starting to move away from that because if he had his way, we'd eat nothing but fatty, starchy crap.

Do you like cooking or are you cooked out? I can't stand cooking, but it must be done.

Do you feel skillful in the kitchen? Not so much, but I haven't killed us yet.

Do you feel burdened by cooking? Yes!

Do you have any conflicts about cooking (can be internal or external)? I'm afraid it will be gross, and indeed I've had some culinary failures... but mostly, I just feel like I've got better things to do with my time.

How so? I can see how it would be empowering, since it does feel good when you make something that people gobble up.

Do you see cooking more as a service or self-expression? I cook because I have to, but I've also seen dishes and such that could only be described as art. :)

Do you see your "foodwork" as having an economic value? Well, if I shop wisely I can save money, since those frozen prepared meals can be expensive. I have staple ingredients stocked up, and I buy meat in bulk and freeze it so it lasts longer.

Are there other kinds of value on the food you prepare? I feel better knowing that what I cook is healthier for me than the easier alternatives. That helps make it worth the cost, time and effort.

How do you manage the disliked aspects of cooking? I try to find recipes for meals that are easy and not overly time-consuming. The less time I spend standing in front of the stove, the better for my sanity.

Where do you shop for your food usually? Local grocery stores.

Do you use a farmer's market or CSA? No, but I'd like to start since we've begun eating more produce. In the past, fresh veggies and fruits would go bad because I was the only one eating them.

If not, have you ever considered your local food system options? We do eat more locally grown and harvested fruit.

In your opinion, how have kitchen chores and expectations changed over the years? I actually feel like I've taken a step back from what I grew up with. My mom's never been a fan of cooking either, so I was used to my dad and her longtime boyfriend being the cooks. My boyfriend doesn't cook much.

Has there been a shift toward health-conscious food choices? Yes, I've had to adjust my diet by cutting out carbs, and that's made cooking more challenging.

Environmentally-conscious choices? I try to buy organic here and there when I can, but it's pricey.

Social justice issues in food choices? Not as much as I should, but again, as I'm learning more about cooking and food I hope to change that.

Is there anything else you'd like to add? Despite my general abhorrence of everyday cooking, I do enjoy baking on special occasions.
  • legendslegends Registered Users Posts: 3,073
    Who cooks in your household? I do

For how many?
    Just me

All

Varies. Probably average about 5.

It's just me, but I'd only go so far as to avoid something that was really hated. You don't like it, cook for yourself.

I like it

A little maybe. I do a lot of the cooking for family events.

I got the basics down and I'm great at following a recipe. Though I don't really trust my instincts for anything but the simplest things or foods I've cooked several times.

No

I hate cleaning.

A little of both, I guess, but mostly I see it as something that has to be done so I do it and find a way to enjoy it.
    How so? It's empowering because it's something I can do, because I don't have to depend on anyone to be able to eat something nutritious that I enjoy. However, if I had a family to cook for I could easily imagine feeling oppressed if I were doing most of the cooking, because a) then it wouldn't be about making a choice about how to feed myself but about having the obligation of taking care of other people, and b)I keep score, and if I have a partner I shouldn't be the only one with the burden.

Self-expression when I'm being creative, but mostly just doing what I have to do.

Sure, but it's not something I think about and it often just happens to work out that way. I don't try budget when it comes to food.

Enjoyment, and the fact that I make conscious choices about where most of my food comes from.

I just do it. The cleaning has to be done, there's no way to make it better.

Farmers' markets, various supermarkets, a few ethnic markets

See above

It seems to me that while there may be more men doing some of the cooking, cooking is still overwhelmingly the woman's job. The only real difference is in the expectation of the final result--elaborate, from scratch meals(or even simple scratch) aren't expected. It's perfectly acceptable to boil some pasta, open up a jar of store-bought sauce, and call it a meal.

Yes, but my definition of healthy is in many ways radically different from the mainstream.

Yes, but it's less important to me than health. The bulk of my food comes from local sources most of the year, all meat, eggs, and dairy are always from animals raised on pasture (that's more of a health choice, though; the environmental aspect is a happy coincidence), etc.

I'd say it probably works out that way, but it's not something I consciously consider.
    Eres o te haces?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file