The best and worst of Christmas movies

CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
It's that time of year where Christmas movies take over television.

Which ones do you hate? Which ones do you love?

Love:

It Nearly Wasn't Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carey version)
Jack Frost ( I cry every time)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Elf
Scrooged

Hate:

Jingle all the way
Christmas with the Kranks
Fred Claus
Anything with the Olsen twins
Currently Loving:
Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    love The Bishop's Wife - the original with Loretta Young and Cary Grant. the only thing good about the horrible remake The Preacher's Wife is Denzel Washington.

i don't understand the love for A Christmas Story...
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    love The Bishop's Wife - the original with Loretta Young and Cary Grant. the only thing good about the horrible remake The Preacher's Wife is Denzel Washington.

i don't understand the love for A Christmas Story...

Neither do I!
    Currently Loving:

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    love love love love love The Grinch - the original, animated version. also rudolph...I'm such a sucker!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • CurlFaceCurlFace Registered Users Posts: 176 Curl Neophyte
    Heheh, okay I'll be the one to admit it, I LOVE A Christmas Story! Maybe it's the innocence of it, remembering how it felt to really really want something for Christmas as a kid...it's cute. Anyway!
    Other faves:
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Miracle on 34th Street (original)
    A Christmas Carol (with Alistair Sims)
    Meet Me in St. Louis (maybe not technically a Christmas movies...)
    I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Haven't really found any that I absolutely hate. Yet...
    Type: 3a - type 1 on the underside. Thinning.
    :glasses11:
    Currently using:
    -Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo (occasionally)
    -Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner
    -Suave Waterfall Mist Conditioner or Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific as leave-in
    -A mix of Shique Gel and HE Totally Twisted mousse
    -FX Curls Up Mousse, on occasion

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Registered Users Posts: 3,061 Curl Neophyte
    Favorite classic- It's a wonderful life

Favorite funny- Trains, planes and automobiles. It's not really Christmas , but sort of holidayish.

Favorite modern- Love Actually
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Registered Users Posts: 1,559
    Favorites:
    Charlie Brown's Christmas

Polar Express

Elf

National Lampoons Christmas

not a Christmas movie, but the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one we reserve for the holidays for some reason. Probably because that's when we saw it first.

Love Actually...Christmasy good movie

Bridget Jone's Diary (not a Christmas movie, but has the holiday in it...so I say it goes and has my vote :) )
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Love originals: The Bishop's Wife and Miracle on 34th Street.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    CurlFace wrote: »
    Meet Me in St. Louis (maybe not technically a Christmas movies...)
    I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
    "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is from that movie, so I think it counts :wink:
  • beanjellybeanjelly Registered Users Posts: 135
    I love the original Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the one from the '60s). I found out last year that my husband had never seen it and went out to buy it just so he could see it.
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Registered Users Posts: 751
    Best: The Year Without a Santa Claus, The Grinch (original animated), and Rudolph.

I can't think of a particularly bad one.
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Registered Users Posts: 751
    beanjelly wrote: »
    I love the original Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the one from the '60s). I found out last year that my husband had never seen it and went out to buy it just so he could see it.

Your husband must have had a sheltered upbringing.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    I love the old ones.

The Bishop's Wife (like Rou said, the original)
    White Christmas
    Meet Me in St. Louis
    Holiday Inn
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • beanjellybeanjelly Registered Users Posts: 135
    juicyfruit wrote: »
    beanjelly wrote: »

Your husband must have had a sheltered upbringing.

lol, not really. His mom was raised Jewish and watching Christmas movies just wasn't something they did as he grew up.
  • cakj99cakj99 Registered Users Posts: 575
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    White Christmas!

Polar Express is a cute one
    Rudolph
    Elf
    Charlie Browns Christmas
    Gremlins :)

Sound of Music - although another 'not a Christmas movie', but watched a lot around the holidays.

I hate It's a Wonderful Life. I don't understand the draw of that movie. Sure the ending is nice, if you can make it through the whole movie without killing yourself first.

I've actually never seen A Christmas Story. Or Christmas on 34th Street for that matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chickadeechickadee Registered Users Posts: 73
    Best- The Grinch (original version)

The worst hands down for me is Nester the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey. Every time I talk about this movie, no one knows what I'm talking about. They made us watch it EVERY YEAR in elementary school. It's so sad and every year when they would flick the lights back on, all the kids would be bawling their eyes out. AWFUL.
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    PartyHair wrote: »
    I love the old ones.

The Bishop's Wife (like Rou said, the original)
    White Christmas
    Meet Me in St. Louis
    Holiday Inn

Yes! I also include:

Oldies:

The Shop Around the Corner (original version of "You've Got Mail" and SO much better)
    Christmas in Connecticut (Barbara Stanwyck -- HILARIOUS)
    It's a Wonderful Life, until I overdosed on it
    Miracle on 34th Street (original version only, with Natalie Wood and Maureen O'Hara)

Modern:

The Nightmare Before Christmas Can double as Halloween AND Christmas movie!
    The Polar Express Weirdly enjoyable
    A Christmas Story Silly but necessary

Hate anything with Jim Carrey in it, which includes the Grinch. Love the original cartoon with Boris Karloff, though.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • duckyducky Registered Users Posts: 927
    I really like The Santa Clause - just the first one, not the others. It brings back some of the magic of Christmas for me.. I also like The Polar Express and the story of A Christmas Carol - I like the Muppet version, but there's other good ones. Mostly, I really like the story. I probably won't see this new one in 3D, because 3D movies make me motion sick. :(

They make me cry, but I also like The Family Stone and Stepmom.

I strongly dislike The Nightmare Before Christmas and A Christmas Story, but DH loves both. :roll:
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    I like:
    Elf
    A Muppet Christmas Carol
    The Grinch (the original one)
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

I can't remember any rubbish ones, I'm sure there are loads.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    of newer movies, i do like Elf and Love, Actually is also a sweet, xmas-themed movie.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    I even like some of those Hallmark Hall of Fame movies that are shown so frequently this time of year!

Or maybe I just watch them to torture my SO :laughing7:
    Currently Loving:

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Some of my faves are:

A Christmas Carol (the George C. Scott one)
    Holiday Inn
    Rudolph
    A Charlie Brown Christmas (I always tear up for that one!)
    A Christmas Story

...and I'm embarrassed to admit this one, but--Ernest Saves Christmas.

I don't really care for the new Grinch that much or most of those Lifetime or ABC family Christmas specials.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I love the Grinch cartoon and the Charlie Brown cartoon.

I have to see Miracle on 34th Street (original version) every year.

As bad as is sounds, I don't like It's a Wonderful Life. Too sappy for me for some reason.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • mandatoryfunmandatoryfun Registered Users Posts: 878
    I even like some of those Hallmark Hall of Fame movies that are shown so frequently this time of year!

Or maybe I just watch them to torture my SO :laughing7:

Those movies are so bad that I can't help but watch them. My dad and I get a big kick out of "Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus," that old Hallmark movie starring Steve Guttenberg and Crystal Bernard. We were delighted to find out that Hallmark will be airing a sequel this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXUB5Rk9-FQ Oh boy.

I also legitimately enjoy The Family Channel's "The Christmas List," starring Mimi Rogers.

I don't know why, but I can totally excuse a film's poor quality as long as it's a Christmas movie. I honestly can't think of a Christmas film I exactly dislike...except maybe the Star Wars Christmas Special. Ugh.
    CG since 07/26/09
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I like them all, even the really stupid half hour cartoons on the Family Channel's 189 days of Christmas (well it seems like that many).
    I love the ones that make me cry. I love the usual Grinch, Christmas Story, Charlie Brown.
    The only one I really don't like is Polar Express. Have never made it thru the whole movie. Just creeps me out for some reason.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Registered Users Posts: 5,581
    I love A Christmas Story. I laugh so hard!

I also like Scrooged.

... and I liked a Christmas movie with Dudley Moore when I was a kid. I don't remember the name. All I remember is a crunchy candy cane.... :dontknow:
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • TechKnockoutTechKnockout Registered Users Posts: 415
    Hands down favorite xmas movie is, It's a Wonderful Life.

The worst? Any of those awful Hallmark or Lifetime holiday movies.
    Horror. Erotica. Cannibalism. And everything else in between.

http://thevegetariancannibal.blogspot.com/
  • ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
    I really love
    The Grinch (the original cartoon)
    Elf
    Mickey's Christmas Carol
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
  • kayaellekayaelle Registered Users Posts: 301
    A Muppet Family Christmas, TV movie from the 80's: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251282/
    We still have it on a VCR tape :)

I'm also a big Elf fan and Love Actually
    Rhode Island - New England curly
    2c-3a/F/i (Fia), shoulder length, need it cut!
    Mod-CG since 10/09 - over 1 year!!

Cleanse: Suave condish, WF 365 lavender poo, soap, BS/ACV
    Leave in: KCKT, CJ CF
    Current winter stylers: CJ SG (HG!), AOMM, Boots, ALWAYS top w/ BRHG
    PT: AOGPB, Emergencee, CJ CF
    Diffuser dependent!
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    The only one I really don't like is Polar Express. Have never made it thru the whole movie. Just creeps me out for some reason.

I completely get this, because it IS a little creepy. And that's why I like it.

The creepiness to me is the too-realistic but not-quite-real quality of that kind of animation. There is a term or expression for that quality from robotics, which I can't recall right now -- but it is a known creepy factor. It's like the closer something comes to real, but is still fake, the stranger it seems to people.

And to get back on track, the most wonderfully horrible movie for Christmas is one very few people have seen.
    It's called Six Weeks, it was made in the '80s, stars Mary Tyler Moore and Dudley Moore, and the least attractive little girl you've ever seen.

The plot is: she's dying (little girl) and has a "want to do before I die" wishlist. Somehow this gets all mixed up in an affair between MTM and Dudley, and it's the most maudlin, absurd, takes-itself-seriously movie EVAH.

I love/hate it and highly recommend it to everybody.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file