Spinoff: Whose on your Christmas list and what's your budget?

Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
This is a spinoff to the "What do you want for Christmas" thread. Who are you shopping for this year, if anyone, and how much do you plan to spend?

Im only shopping for my immediate family and my grandmother. Everyone else gets a Christmas card addressed to the family.

eta: my budget is 500. This is the only time of year I actually spend money on things that aren't necessities. I need to save another $300 in the next three weeks. I hope I get this second job!
Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
Current length: back at APL
Goal length: hip :color:
Staples: natural growth aides

Comments

• MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Registered Users Posts: 1,024
    I'm knitting or baking everyone who's not in my immediate family something this year, so it's fairly cheap, I never spend more than twenty bucks on yarn or baking supplies, and you really only have to buy once, because everything lasts. I love catching sales/coupons as well, so I don't end up spending extra money.

For my brother I'm getting a mp3 from Creative Zen, they're as good if not better than ipods, but reasonably cheap.

My sister is probably going to get boots, she loves boots, and I'm getting those CyberMonday

My father is getting a record player that converts LP to MP3s.

My German Shepard is getting spade so all those boy dogs will quit bothering her.

I probably won't even break $250 this year.
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    All the guys(3) are getting wrist watches and the middle brother is also getting a pedal for his bass guitar. He graduates in December so double presents for him.
    My mother has always wanted a black wool pea coat(i can't find one in 3x anywhere) and she also wants a new set of Magnalite pots and pans.

Im not sure what to get my grandmother or my dog. :confused:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Of course, it's all about the little one! lol
    GP...nothing.
    Mom and dad...gift card.
    Two of the little one's teachers..gift cards.
    Will be sending out no more than 40 X-mas cards.
    And yes, H~, they will be hand written!

:laughing5:

There maybe more...

Not sure what hubby wants to do on his side of the fam...really just for his mom, tho...

I think it's about the little ones, so that is what we focus on & donating & sponsoring a fam at the school/church, etc...
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    Hubby's getting a DVR - he'll be beyond thrilled.
    DS#1 and DIL will get furniture for their new house.
    DS#2 is getting a GPS and some $$$ for a new computer.
    I've got ideas for most everyone else except my mom and in-laws - they're soooo hard to shop for.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    my mom and my sister and neither one of them can give me an idea of what she wants!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Registered Users Posts: 1,024
    All the guys(3) are getting wrist watches and the middle brother is also getting a pedal for his bass guitar. He graduates in December so double presents for him.
    My mother has always wanted a black wool pea coat(i can't find one in 3x anywhere) and she also wants a new set of Magnalite pots and pans.

You can try Oldnavy.com they have a women's plus size section only online, and they had peacoats there last I check, and okay priced, and they usaully have sales. I think they're all cleaned out from black friday, but in a week or so they should have everything in stock.
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Registered Users Posts: 5,219
    I have 7 nieces and nephews + my own children to shop for. I only have 500 dollars too seeing as that's all that's left over from my hubby's bonus after taxes (its 800 :cwm21:). I'm searching for inexpensive but thoughtful ideas for my mom, etc. seeing as they are very generous to me and my kiddos. I have considered telling them not to buy for us adults but I think its too late.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte

You can try Oldnavy.com they have a women's plus size section only online, and they had peacoats there last I check, and okay priced, and they usaully have sales. I think they're all cleaned out from black friday, but in a week or so they should have everything in stock.

thanks. Oldnavy is the first place I looked and while they have pea coats in 3x they do not come in black. Only navy blue and peacock.
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    Mom
    Dad
    Stepmother
    Aunt
    Uncle
    Older Brother
    Brother's Fiancee
    Stepsister (sibling/stepsibling swap name drawn) + stepsister and her hubby since she's pregnant
    Little brother
    Littlest niece and nephew (books I've had for them since early in the year)
    A couple friends

For me, that's not many people, compared to usual. Some of the gifts will be framed photos. My stepsister and her husband were disappointed in their photographer at their wedding 2 years ago so I've made several visits to the site of the wedding taking photos. They're archaeologists and it was in the remaining part of an old Spanish mission. I'm going to give her a leather-bound album including group shots from the photographer and architecture/site shots I've taken.
    My brother and his fiancee are getting photo coasters with photos of the place he proposed to her, and my friend Janelle is getting photo coasters of my horse who she helped me with a ton when she was still getting over being abused and afraid of people.
    My mom may get photos of her dogs if I get any I like enough.
    I love buying gifts most years. I don't know how much I'm spending this year. I have an overall budget as I live my life, and I've been buying presents since late July with the fun money part of my budget. I prefer buying gifts people will love to "stuff" for myself in general.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    ETA: MY HUSBAND! :lol:
    Mom
    Sister
    Brother
    Niece
    Mom's gentleman friend
    Best friend
    MIL
    FIL
    SIL
    BIL
    Niece (21 yo)
    Nephew (18 )
    Niece (16)
    Nephew (7)
    Nephew (5)
    Husband's aunt
    Husband's uncle
    Husband's cousin and her husband
    Husband's cousin and her husband
    Husband's cousin
    Our best married-couple friends

We'll spend between $15.00 and $35.00 per person.

ETA: I also have seven work people - my boss and my team. My boss will get cookies; my team members are each getting a koozie with our logo on it (I'm inordinately excited about this), plus a candle or something from World Market. I'll spend about $12 each for them, out of pocket, of course.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mandatoryfunmandatoryfun Registered Users Posts: 878
    I'm only buying gifts for five people—my dad, my brother, my mom, my boyfriend, and my best friend. I'll pretty much be broke after buying for those five.

I'll be splurging on gifts for dad because this will be our first Christmas alone together (after his divorce from my mom and my brother moving out of the house). I want to get him some nice things so that he won't feel sad or lonely. I'll probably spend $100 on him, give or take.

I'll probably spend another $100 on my boyfriend because I love him terribly and he's really there for me when it counts. :)

I'd say my total budget is around $250 or so. But that's really pushing it for me.
    CG since 07/26/09
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Just my hubby and MIL on the list this year, everyone else is overseas or interstate. My hubby and I usually agree on a price and get each other token gifts (under $50), but we'll probably get MIL something nicer and spend $100ish.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    Mum
    Dad
    Grandad
    My brother
    my friend Amy
    Eddy the cat, although he'll probably like the wrapping paper and climbing the tree

My budget is about £100 for the lot. I think I'm coming in under that at the moment though. I do have to factor in postage for my brother's present
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Mom
    Dad
    MIL
    FIL
    Sisters
    BIL
    Nieces and Nephew
    Grandma
    Grandpa
    Hubby
    Daughter

I spend about $25 per person for the extended fam. Usually we spend about $100 per person for immediate fam, but this year, hubs and I are splurging and getting an HDTV b/c hubby got a nice fat bonus at work! :toothy7: We'll still be buying the usual toys, books, clothes, etc. for the little one since she won't be as impressed by the big TV as we are...LOL (but I bet Dora looks GREAT in HD!)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    $0

I don't exchange gifts. :bigsmurf:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    In my family it is NOT all about kids. It's about everyone. Xmas is all about food and decorations and gifts and food and drink and family and friends and neighbors and more food and more presents. It's a big deal (and not in the least bit religious).
    I buy for around 25 people - mom, dad, 2 sisters, 2 brothers in law or boyfriends, 2 nieces, 1 nephew in law, 1 nephew, 1 great nephew, 1 aunt, 1 uncle, 2 cousins, 2 exes, 1 stepdaughter, 1 boss, and various friends. I used to spend alot more but have cut it back to about $650 this year.

I've also cut way back on cards. From around 45 down to 15. The rest get e-cards. And I've cut down on baking. I used to bake a couple hundred dozen cookies. Now down to about 50 dozen.

I usually make something every year or buy something homemade. And my family and friends all LOVE gift cards and so do I. I got a free half tank of gas for buying so many gift cards at Giant Eagle last week. They have so many to choose from, it's easy to find something for everyone. If I got nothing but a pile of gift cards for xmas, I'd be thrilled. So much fun.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Registered Users Posts: 3,465

thanks. Oldnavy is the first place I looked and while they have pea coats in 3x they do not come in black. Only navy blue and peacock.

Have you tried Target.com? They have a few different kinds of coats for plus size ladies that aren't expensive. :) Including peacoats for $40!
    My budget is really small this year. I'm only buying for seven people, and I'll have to shell out quite a bit for shipping.

Here's what's planned so far, though I haven't been thinking about it very long:

Mom -- Pretty framed photo of us taken on Thanksgiving.
    Dad -- Golf balls since he always needs more of those, and a doormat that says "I golf, therefore I'm not here." :lol:
    SO -- A black fedora, "The Mighty Boosh" Season 1 on DVD, and something else from a list I've secretly been compiling throughout the year.
    Brother and his fiancee -- This is lame, but just a gift card because neither of them are employed full time right now, so they can probably use money more than anything else.
    Nephews -- I'm told they have more than enough toys, so I'll probably will pick up a few books for them or something educational. The 3-year-old has already started reading! :)

SO is in charge of buying his own family's gifts, though I'll help him shop for them. :) His extended family likes to buy for us too, and I want to give them something so I'm trying to think of non-pricey ideas.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    We have Christmas AND Chanukah. Budget's not set yet but here's who we have to buy for:

Our son - probably not a full 8 gifts for Chanukah, but at least a few, plus Christmas too. Most likely toys since I discovered this really cool toy store with classic toys in my town recently. We'll stick to small stuff for Chanukah with 1-2 bigger toys for Christmas

My nephew - just Chanukah, toys from above-mentioned store, maybe 1-2 nights' worth

My sister/BIL - last year we agreed not to exchange gifts (just for the kids) but she got me something anyway so we're definitely getting them something. I'm pretty sure they're giving us a framed picture from their wedding, so something small-medium will be fine for them.

My parents - we try to get them something nice-ish because they go all-out for us.

My in-laws - for Christmas. We almost always end up getting them SU sweatshirts or something, and this year we'll mail them since we're not travelling.

My husband - swears he does not want any gifts. All he wants is some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which is his favorite beer and only available for a limited time each year. So I'll probably buy him some of that, and if anything else, I'll keep it small.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    My in-laws - for Christmas. We almost always end up getting them SU sweatshirts or something, and this year we'll mail them since we're not travelling.

OK, I just have to say thanks for that idea! My mom loves SU basketball and football, and she could use a new sweatshirt. :)
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Registered Users Posts: 1,008
    I have to buy for:
    mom
    dad
    sister
    2 nephews

We draw names for the adult siblings and in-laws in my family.

I'm making SO do his own family this year and I'm not sure he'll bother with the adults (besides his mother). He has:
    mom
    dad
    step dad
    step mom
    sister
    2 nephews
    1 neice
    brother
    sister in-law
    grandma
    my brother

I try not to spend a lot.
  • RheannaRheanna Registered Users Posts: 2,614
    I have to buy for the following:

- My 8 y/o nephew
    - My 4 y/o niece
    - My cousin's 5 y/o daughter who is basically like my niece
    - A work gift exchange
    - The adult family member who's name I drew, which is my cousin (the mother of the 5 y/o)

I also have to contribute money for the gifts we buy at work for my two bosses.

I'm spending between 25 and 30 for everyone. The work exchange has a limit of 25, the family exchange has a limit of 30. I'll probably end up spending about 30 per boss as well. So my total budget is going to be around $200. Up until last year, we bought for every member of the family for Christmas. It was almost impossible.
    DPTFm5.png
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Registered Users Posts: 5,581
    Mom
    Dad & his new wife (but not her 4 kids. I don't have money like that!)
    Sister & BIL
    Nephew
    Brother (this is a maybe. We aren't really friendly anymore)
    BFF
    BFF's dog
    NC gift exchange curly

I will be working with $500 at Nordstroms (got to love the workplace gift card I get every year to buy presents!!!) and $200 - $300 additional for things that aren't Nordstroms.

I have no idea what I will be getting anyone yet.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Registered Users Posts: 2,812
    Curlyminx wrote: »
    Mom
    Sister & BIL
    Nephew
    BFF
    BFF's dog
    NC gift exchange curly

I will be working with $500 at Nordstroms (got to love the workplace gift card I get every year to buy presents!!!) and $200 - $300 additional for things that aren't Nordstroms.

Wait...what? You get a $500 gift card when you work at Nordstroms???

I'm only buying for my parents and my SO, maybe my dogs.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Registered Users Posts: 5,581
    Mom
    Sister & BIL
    Nephew
    BFF
    BFF's dog
    NC gift exchange curly

oops. No. My boss gives $500 gift cards to Nordstroms every year. Sorry for the confusion!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Registered Users Posts: 2,812
    Mom
    Sister & BIL
    Nephew
    BFF
    BFF's dog
    NC gift exchange curly

oops. No. My boss gives $500 gift cards to Nordstroms every year. Sorry for the confusion!

Nice boss. ;) I was going to say... I need to get a PT gig at Nordstroms ASAP!
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Nice boss, Minxy! My last job gave us a Christmas bonus of $33. For real. I almost gave the check back to my boss and said, "You guys need this more than I do." :laughing7:
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Nice boss, Minxy! My last job gave us a Christmas bonus of $33. For real. I almost gave the check back to my boss and said, "You guys need this more than I do." :laughing7:

I'm "the boss", and the gifts I give to the people who work for me are paid for out of my pocket. I get no departmental fundage for it, but I do it because I appreciate my team. I WISH I could give them $500 each, but I hate to tell you, the gifts I give them are worth less than the $33 you got.

I guess I'm saying to maybe be a little more appreciative especially if it's coming out of your boss's pocket.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    PartyHair wrote: »

I'm "the boss", and the gifts I give to the people who work for me are paid for out of my pocket. I get no departmental fundage for it, but I do it because I appreciate my team. I WISH I could give them $500 each, but I hate to tell you, the gifts I give them are worth less than the $33 you got.

I guess I'm saying to maybe be a little more appreciative especially if it's coming out of your boss's pocket.

I definitely see what you're saying PH, but I think a well-thought-out gift worth $33 (or even much less) is worlds better than a check for $33.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    PartyHair wrote: »

I definitely see what you're saying PH, but I think a well-thought-out gift worth $33 (or even much less) is worlds better than a check for $33.

I agree with Pixie...and it sounds as if the Nynaeve received a company check with taxes subtracted.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file