I have the chance to get a cat...

ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
So, my mother is allowing me to get a cat (I live with her). I have never had my own but I have been taking care of my brother's cats for 6 months. But he is moving out in a month or so and the thought of not having his two cats here depresses me so much.

I really would love my own cat (I always have) but I know it's a big responsibility and a lot of money. I am in college but I am good at saving money.

As you can tell I am conflicted!
3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Do you mean that you've been taking care of your brother's cat for six months, or that you've been taking care of your brothers (plural) for six months?

Anyway cats are pretty awesome. You should get one! If you're short on money, make sure to get a kitten or young cat since they're less likely to have medical problems.
  • ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Do you mean that you've been taking care of your brother's cat for six months, or that you've been taking care of your brothers (plural) for six months?

Anyway cats are pretty awesome. You should get one! If you're short on money, make sure to get a kitten or young cat since they're less likely to have medical problems.

Brother's cats, sorry! Silly me.

I love cats! I am allergic to some (which seems weird, depends on the dander I suppose) but medicine really helps me.

Ahh, I am so excited thinking about it but it will be awhile until I do get one.

Shampoo - GTTTT
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    Cats are easy. Just feed them and keep the box clean and they are happy little campers.

Unless something drastic goes wrong with your cat, the biggest cost upfront is getting them fixed if they already aren't. Food and litter can be costly but I buy in bulk for my two cats and it works out fine.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    Cats are easy. Just feed them and keep the box clean and they are happy little campers.

Unless something drastic goes wrong with your cat, the biggest cost upfront is getting them fixed if they already aren't. Food and litter can be costly but I buy in bulk for my two cats and it works out fine.

My brother pays about 30-45 dollars a month for his two cats. My hamsters were more than that (the bedding can get costly there are cheap ones but they cause respiratory problems but that is for another thread!)

And I would adopt them from the shelter I volunteer at and they give them all their shots, exams and spay/neuter them for one cost.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• TheSunshineStateTheSunshineState Registered Users Posts: 152
    To adopt I paid about $42 each for mine and that included all the shots and to get them fixed. I got them from Domestic Animal Services.
    They really are easy pets. Mine no longer even use a litter box. They never go in the house and just ask me if they need ot go outside. So all I really need to do is feed them and give themlots of affection! If you bond enough they are the most loving things ever. My little girl always has to have her paw on my face when she sleeps at night. My boy follows me around the house all day.
    I'm excited for you and the lucky cat your going to save!
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    We adopted Merlin from the shelter, so all of his costs were up-front, including his first vet appointment. Now I spend about $10 on food and $10 on litter per month, and that's pretty much it. Once a year he gets shots, which range from $60-100.

So far he's been worth every penny. :cat:
    Minneapolis, MN
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    Residual wrote: »

My brother pays about 30-45 dollars a month for his two cats. My hamsters were more than that (the bedding can get costly there are cheap ones but they cause respiratory problems but that is for another thread!)

And I would adopt them from the shelter I volunteer at and they give them all their shots, exams and spay/neuter them for one cost.

You should do it.

I have a female I rescued who was abandoned, and I got my little guy from my barn. He was abandoned as well. I raised him from 6 weeks so he is the most loving little guy, and follows me around. He definitely brightens my day.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • peyrouxpeyroux Registered Users Posts: 174
    Do iiiit! Cats are awesome. :love10:
    2b, high porosity, medium texture
    CG since 11/20/09

Current routine:

low poo: GTTTT
    rinse out: Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily
    leave-in: GVP Conditioning Balm or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    stylers: Proclaim Curl Activator Gel, Proclaim Crystal Ice Protein Gel or Ecostyler Krystal Gel
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Awwwwwwwwww....Cats are the BEST!! :cat:

I love cats!! :love4: I have had 3 cats in my life - all black and white ones. Two were strays and the one I have now is a rescue cat. Her picture is my avatar. :) She is like my best friend. I love her so much. She follows me all over the house, sleeps right on top of me, eats with me, and cries when I go out. Cats are great pets - very smart and lovable and easy.

Good luck if you get one!! :wave: Yay!!
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • arpinatefoxarpinatefox Registered Users Posts: 52
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    Get a cat! DH and I have three of the sweetest cats you'll ever meet. :cat: Wouldn't trade them for anything!
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    So it will not be for awhile but I am very excited.

I'd like a kitten but I will not turn down an older cat. But it has to get along with my dog, and a kitten seems more likely to.

I'd love a Man Coon or a Persian but I am not picky.

Is there any breed that is better for allergy sufferers?

Shampoo - GTTTT

• Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    Mancoons and Persians aren't going to be good for an allergy sufferer (as they both have huge quantities of fur). Look into a hairless or short haired breed.

http://www.hypoallergeniccats.org/

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/hypoallergenic-cat-breeds.htm

I am allergic to cats but I've owned them all my life (Siamese cats). Some tips:

Always wash you hands/arms after holding the cat (don't touch your face after touching the cat..if I do this my eyes swell shut)

Do not let them in your bedroom.

Two words: HEPA Filters

Invest in a vaccuum highly rated for pet hair removal if you aren't going hairless. We use a Dyson
    Laura Lee wrote: »
    Mancoons and Persians aren't going to be good for an allergy sufferer (as they both have huge quantities of fur). Look into a hairless or short haired breed.

http://www.hypoallergeniccats.org/

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/hypoallergenic-cat-breeds.htm

I am allergic to cats but I've owned them all my life (Siamese cats). Some tips:

Always wash you hands/arms after holding the cat (don't touch your face after touching the cat..if I do this my eyes swell shut)

Do not let them in your bedroom.

Two words: HEPA Filters

Invest in a vaccuum highly rated for pet hair removal if you aren't going hairless. We use a Dyson

Thank you for the links. I really like the Siberian ones. My brother has two short haired calicos.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs119.snc1/4751_1111944918880_1234590335_30350783_1392127_n.jpg

I got used to them, I used to be really allergic to them. But I do not rub my face on them or anything anymore lol. Kisses but not as much.

I do not have carpet so I am not sure if a vacuum would really help?

But I do wash my hands after touching them.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    We use the vacuum on our cloth-covered furniture and draperies (couches, chairs, etc). We have wood floors throughout (big allergy improvement with that renovation!) but we also have some rugs on top of the wood so that's another place the vacuum is helpful in picking up cat hair.

I used to be pretty tolerant to the allergy, but since going off to college, when I come home, it's the worst! My whole body freaks out! Hives, sniffles, congestion, etc etc etc. But I'd never ever give up my kitties :love4:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file