ATTENTION poodle owners and lovers....

curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
hiya,
Ok so my little toy poodle pup Nala is off for her first hair cut/ clip on Tuesday and I'm trying to decide what to go for. She's nearly 4 months old now but she's still kinda tiny!(she weighs a mere 1.6kg - she's doubled since we got her!). She currently has a somewhat grow out and messy looking puppy/lamb cut. Her face is all growing back and she looks not so poodlish. I'd been waiting till she'd had her last injection before sending her to the groomers.

I was thinking that a summer/bikini/miami clip would be cute, as I love the puffs on the legs and would like to keep her ears and top knot longer. However i'm not so sure how practical having puffs on her legs will be. She loves running around in the grass at my parents house and it has been wet of late so her legs are a right mess at the moment. However we are coming into summer (therefore drier weather) and she usually spends most of her time at my house where we don't have that much grass.

so my question is... what style clip should i get? What is your favourite? What styles have you found to be practical while still being poodlish? haha.

thanks.

If you check out my fotki you'll find some pictures of my miss nala.
2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Awww - she's adorable!! She looks a lot like my two toy poodles!! I actually don't have any "hairdo" recommendations, though. I always just keep getting the puppy clip for my toy poodles, since I'm not a fan of the puffs and frou-frou look. Keep in mind that it'll always grow back - and you can always get another cut for her, so it's not a major commitment, either way. My dogs usually get clipped every 6 weeks or so. Have fun with her!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    If you like the puffs, go for it! My standard poodle basically got shaved last time due to flea season here, but I think the "full poodle" look is gorgeous.

I agree with 2poodles, though: it's not a huge commitment --- if you dislike it, change it.
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    She's very cute. We had a poodle when I was younger. We kept her clipped in the shape yours is in now, just closer. They would put bows above her ears and paint her toenails to match the bows. It was adorable.

We got her from the pound in Georgia. The human society in the front didn't want to let us go to the cages in the back because they said the dogs were dirty and were going to be put down anyway :neutral:

I was a kid, and I could hear the barking, so I really wanted to go back. My mom was adament, and when we looked back there I saw this poor ugly little black thing on it's hind legs hopping up and down to get our attention. I thought it was so ugly/cute, I had to take it 'cause I knew no one else would.

Her fur was matted so tightly to her skin that she was whining the whole car ride, so my mom drove right to the groomers to get it clipped out. When we came to pick her up an hour later, she was a silver colored purebred toy poodle! We had no idea!! She was a doll, her name was Candy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Miss Nala is adorable!
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Registered Users Posts: 236
    My toy is also kept in the puppy/teddy bear clip. It's easiest to maintain (we do a lot of the maintenance ourselves) and she just looks so sweet and cuddly. I think if you have the money to have monthly groomings, then go for it! She's absolutely adorable. I don't know if you've visited this site, but there's a lot of great information here: http://www.thetoypoodle.com/ They have a message board for grooming as well.
    2a/b. I love AOHR!
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    Thanks for all your replies...

I was hoping I would be able to get her groomed a few times and then maintain it from there. Follow the lines etc. I bought a grooming book before we even picked her up from the breeder (this one) it's great! teaches you everything from different tools and their roles, to how to do each clip and general maintenance etc.

It's just we're coming into summer we've already had a few weeks with continual temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius. She just get's too hot in her current state and flops on the floor all day. I had to put her in the shower and then sit her under the air con to cool her down.

She just needs to look like a poodle again - she just looks like a fluff ball atm her shaved face has grown out.

katiecurl - thanks for the link I have been on the site a few times but more for training tips. I'm just starting clicker training with her.

i'll be sure to add some post groomer shots once I have them. :D

Nala had a lovely day(well few hours) at the groomers. Had lots of cuddles and walks with the girls -got very spoilt! She's ended up with a 'lamb' cut; the groomer and I decided this as she has a very thick coat for her age and we are coming into summer with 40 degree Celsius weather. Nala seem very happy with her new do, she looks like a poodle again and she's grown like a weed. She's so soft and velvety (gotta love puppy coat!) She currently curled up nex to me. I'll add some photos to my fotki once I find my phone :)

Glad to hear that Nala is comfy again. :)
    yes she can get back to terrorizing our older dogs! I have put the new pictures up on my fotki too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file