Do you wear wigs? No? Would you ever?

The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
Why or why not?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    Definitely would if I was balding because of genetics or hormones. If I was losing my hair due to chemo though, I don't think I would.

If a wig could look really natural, I might for the heck of it. Not for everyday but a special occasion or something.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Registered Users Posts: 751
    I definitely would if I lost my hair for some reason.

I have on a rare occasion worn a wig (like for a costume).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have when I had really short hair. I wouldn't now because my hair is finally getting longer.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    im with the others as far as if i had no hair/ going bald (or for a party/ halloween). i have waaaayy too much hair, so i dont see why i would want a wig. i wouldn't even do extensions cause i have toooo much hair as it is!!! half the time, when i do a pony tail, it looks fake anyways. so again, no.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Nope, I've only ever seen fake looking ones. Also they seem to be very itchy and uncomfortable...
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    I would if I lost my hair for some reason. Right now I just couldn't do it. Mainly because I hear of stories of wigs being pulled off but also because if someone compliments my hair I want it to really be mine.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • WiregirlWiregirl Registered Users Posts: 1,695
    If I ever lost my hair!:confused:
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    If I was loosing my hair I would probably consider it. I've never seen a wig that looks like real hair, I'm sure there are some out there though.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I've always wanted a Cher wig (from her "Sonny and Cher" days).

I would definitely wear it, just for the experience of being someone else for a day.
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Registered Users Posts: 1,685
    It was a large hairpiece. I did it because I was asked to be in a wedding. I had lost over half of my hair because of illness and what was left needed help.
    The piece matched my color perfectly.
    It was fun and made me feel good on that day.
    I would do it again if I needed it.
    I always look at the hair at www.hairsisters.com

Oh, and can you girls believe I lost that much hair?
    That is how I found this site! I was trying to figure out what to do with what hair I had left. Shave it off, short curly cut or curly hairstyles? Did a search and that is how I ended up here!
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    No I don't wear wigs but I would... for Halloween or if I went bald but it would have to look like real hair though.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    Absolutely if I needed to! And even if not,if they made AMAZING human hair wigs I could afford, why not?? Pull em out on a bad hair day...or in the rain... or for a fancy party....:drunken:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    curlylew66 wrote: »
    It was a large hairpiece. I did it because I was asked to be in a wedding. I had lost over half of my hair because of illness and what was left needed help.
    The piece matched my color perfectly.
    It was fun and made me feel good on that day.
    I would do it again if I needed it.
    I always look at the hair at www.hairsisters.com

Oh, and can you girls believe I lost that much hair?
    That is how I found this site! I was trying to figure out what to do with what hair I had left. Shave it off, short curly cut or curly hairstyles? Did a search and that is how I ended up here!

When I had alopecia I was wondering if it would come to that and so would have if I needed to. I lost SO MUCH HAIR (almost half i'd guess).... Its almost impossible to imagine when I look at my hair now. Your avie reminds me of my hair!
    My Photobucket Album
    oh... one last thing.... a reason to perhaps NOT wear wigs....

Dont be tardy for the party;):laughing5:
    My Photobucket Album
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    curlylew...I'll always remember your story...
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't have to have chemo when my breast cancer was detected, but if I had and lost my hair, I probably would have worn a wig. As much as I truly admire all those women sho face it head on and don't wear a wig, I just don't think it is something I could do. But then I never got to that point, so who knows.
    3b/c
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I don't know. I have a clip on ponytail and wearing that makes me feel like a fraud. I think I would feel too self conscious in a wig. It would have to be a really convincing one that stays on well.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    I said "other," because just plain "No" wasn't an option.

My daughter wears one for Irish Dance and it is miserably itchy, so I think, even if I lost all my hair, I would be happier in hats and scarves.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i have one waist-length straight wig that i wear on occasion and a couple of long falls that i wear for parties.

i like them and it's nice for a change.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't wear wigs now, but I would not rule them out for future use, especially if I had a health condition and wearing a wig occasionally would make me feel better about myself. JMO for me.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Registered Users Posts: 1,467
    So far I have only worn wigs just for fun. Here's some pics of me with a wig on. What do you think?
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Registered Users Posts: 260
    I've worn wigs only to masquerade parties. I have so much hair I can't fit it all underneath a wig.:farao:
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    No, I don't think I would ever wear a wig, even if I lost my hair from illness. For one thing, I have a vary large head. It's bigger than average. I have to buy special extra-large-long-hair swim caps and I split and explode those regularly too. For another thing, I am hot-blooded, always have been. My "normal" body temp is 100 degrees (98.6 is just an average). I get overheated very easily and being peri-menopausal hasn't helped, so I don't think could stand wearing a wig all day. If I ever lose my hair, it's probably going to be scarves and loose-woven hats for me.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I had a little pony tail hairpiece I used to wear to fake longer hair. It wrapped around my little hair bun and looked like a messy updo. I change my hair color so often though that I don't get to wear it often.

As for a full wig, I don't think I would ever wear one unless I had an illness that caused me to lose my hair.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    I voted "other", because a few years ago I bc'd and let my husband talk me into buying a couple. I love the myriad styles they come in (most of them straight styles or bangs which are pretty much hopeless for my hair type) but I just felt so dumb and so fake. And hot. And itchy.

My head and face are really tiny and I don't know anything about sizing wigs, so they looked too big. The quality wasn't of human hair, but not that plastic, shiny doll-hair type wig either. Regardless, they got tangled, matted and dry-looking very shortly after. I threw them away.

My hair is naturally extremely long, thick and curly so I've never been a weave-wearer or a wig wearer. I wouldn't even feel comfortable in a fake ponytail or bun. It's funny, though; my sister is a 4b and has naturally short, kinky hair, and she rarely, if ever, wears fake hair either. If she ever does, it's braids and even then she never wears long braided styles.

If I had a health condition, I'd probably wear hats, scarves and definitely African headwraps. My aunt, who's always had really long curly hair too, lost almost all of it to alopecia, and I have never, EVER see her in a wig.

She wore hats and scarves when it was really sparse, and now she's grown enough to wear a small bun to cover the bare areas. She keeps it natural and her hair lays down in beautiful ripply waves when she wears the bun. And medium-to-large earrings. I love wearing short hair, scarves or African headwraps with good-sized earrings.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    I have to admit, this question made me LOL. No, I've never worn a wig and I have no plans to do so. I consider my hair to be one of my defining characteristics and I have no desire to cover it up. I don't even like wearing hats- I'm sure a wig would be even more uncomfortable. The only possible exceptions would be if I lost my hair, or if it was for a costume. But I can't even see myself wearing a costume that required a wig.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    Gemini13 wrote: »
    I have to admit, this question made me LOL. No, I've never worn a wig and I have no plans to do so. I consider my hair to be one of my defining characteristics and I have no desire to cover it up. I don't even like wearing hats- I'm sure a wig would be even more uncomfortable. The only possible exceptions would be if I lost my hair, or if it was for a costume. But I can't even see myself wearing a costume that required a wig.
    Same here.

My mom bought a couple wigs when she lost her hair due to chemo. She wore them to places like church and the mall for the sole reason that she got tired of all the looks of pity and strangers staring. Otherwise, she would have been happy wearing a hat or scarf.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    I tried to get interlock braids one time (they make one continuous cornrow around your head, then insert ready-made braids into the cornrow with a latchhook until your entire head is covered in the braids) because my sister had some and they looked so good on her.......but my hair was so long that after the girl made the continuous cornrow, she had almost a foot of excess.

She had to try and cornrow the excess into the previously-cornrowed parts. I ended up looking much like an ancient Egyptian woman---you know, when they're depicted with braided wig on and the crown has an unnatural height. It didn't look bad, just weird.

The funny thing is, my hair wasn't even at its longest....probably a wee touch past shoulder-length. It's usually almost waist-length.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Registered Users Posts: 2,481
    My hair is thinning. I'll eventually lose it like my mom and other women in her family. At that point, I'll buy a wig.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    No and maybe if I lost my hair. I love wearing them for halloween though to change my look completely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file