Mixed race hair - Afro/European products??

3d3n3d3n Posts: 6Registered Users
Hello,

A question for other mixed chicks (or anyone who knows)... is there a huge difference between products for Afro/European hair, is it good to mix? I tend to use Soft n Free and the Dark n Lovely range (which are ok, but all this talk of curls makes me wonder if theres something better out there- avaliable in the uk)... but have heard good things about Tigi Rocks too, I have 3b hair so it might work fine but i'm a student and really don't want too invest in something that won't work.

Gabi.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair is hair--no matter what your racial background. Certain races have tendencies toward certain hair types and characteristics. You need to discover your hair characteristics and buy products with ingredients your hair likes. Many of the looser curled ladies have great success with products that were developed for tighter curls--it's not the curl type that is important, but the texture and porosity.

Read the threads on the "newby read this" forum. Another helpful site is http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/ Struttswife's (aka Tiffany) ebook would be a great investment for you if you are new to all of this.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kathymack wrote: »
    Hair is hair--no matter what your racial background. Certain races have tendencies toward certain hair types and characteristics. You need to discover your hair characteristics and buy products with ingredients your hair likes. Many of the looser curled ladies have great success with products that were developed for tighter curls--it's not the curl type that is important, but the texture and porosity.

Read the threads on the "newby read this" forum. Another helpful site is http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/ Struttswife's (aka Tiffany) ebook would be a great investment for you if you are new to all of this.

+n to the nth degree!

Just look at the signatures of the posters; it will confirm what kathymack wrote. I am 4a/3c with very dry, porous hair; yet I cannot leave oils or butters in my hair, even in the winter. It becomes greasy and brittle. I look for products that have behentrimonium methosulfate and cetearyl alcohol after water. My mother, who is 4a, cannot tolerate oils, butters or conditioners. If used, her hair is left greasy, limp and dry. All she needs to do is shampoo her hair, comb, and air-dry.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    kathymack wrote: »

+n to the nth degree!

Just look at the signatures of the posters; it will confirm what kathymack wrote. I am 4a/3c with very dry, porous hair; yet I cannot leave oils or butters in my hair, even in the winter. It becomes greasy and brittle. I look for products that have behentrimonium methosulfate and cetearyl alcohol after water. My mother, who is 4a, cannot tolerate oils, butters or conditioners. If used, her hair is left greasy, limp and dry. All she needs to do is shampoo her hair, comb, and air-dry.

VERY true all of the above from Greatcurls and Kathymack! My daughter has "mixed" hair in the sense her dad is a type 4 and I am a type 2. Her hair is fine to coarse and the curl ranges from loose S waves to tighter coils. It's actually changing since she's 12 (new strands look more like 3C than 2C).

The key is to find products that work. We are all over the board literally when it comes to products. We both use tons of stuff from all various assorted companies. There are times I can use products targeted at more highly textured and kinky hair and she can't and vice versa..it's really based on product itself, ingredients, function, etc.

I'd recommend checking out the Curl Junkie line. I am pretty sure it's available in Europe (not sure UK but I think so?) as some of the other products aren't readily available that I've seen. CJ is a line that perform very well for all types of hair..just go based on the ingredients and the recommendations on the website. I know Taliah Waajid is also available and we've liked some of her products as well. Plus of course Anita Grant is very popular here and she is in the UK. You can always look on youtube as well:)

I think the swap board for UK curlies sometimes functions more as a meeting place/suggestion place then solely swap so you might want to ask those ladies too what they think:)
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    I'm mixed also (black/white) and growing up did think hair, or my hair was different and I had to use certain products. I'd say the biggest thing is that products aimed at Black hair tend to contain a lot of petroleum and mineral oil, which just gives a sheen but doesn't really moisturize ( which curly hair needs) I think you need to concentrate on what your hair needs e.g moisture definition etc.

Id suggest you check out www.britishcurlies.co.uk they carry products as well as have a hair board similar to this one, some of the products are ones that are often talked about on this board : Curl Junkie, Curls, Miss Jessies, Darcy's botanicals, Kinky Curl

There are a few places here in the UK that carry products it's just hard finding them.
    www.naturesparlour.co.uk I know carry Blended beauty, Curls and some other lines

Then there is www.naturalcurls.co.uk which has just started up recently but have some good stuff.

If that is beyond your budget Boots has curl creams which I think are around £1.99 or something like that, personally I don't like them ( wish I did at that price!) but people here love it.
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • CopaseticCopasetic Posts: 222Registered Users
    3d3n wrote: »
    Hello,

A question for other mixed chicks (or anyone who knows)... is there a huge difference between products for Afro/European hair, is it good to mix? I tend to use Soft n Free and the Dark n Lovely range (which are ok, but all this talk of curls makes me wonder if theres something better out there- avaliable in the uk)... but have heard good things about Tigi Rocks too, I have 3b hair so it might work fine but i'm a student and really don't want too invest in something that won't work.

Gabi.

I'm a mixed chick! In my experience, it is best to ignore whatever "race" a product is intended for, and just pick what works best for you. I buy from both the "black hair" care section and the "regular" one.
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • bluedreamsbluedreams Posts: 8Registered Users
    I'm a mixed chick too (B/W mixie)....don't worry about it much. Just try stuff and see what works best. Mixed people have all different types of hair as it is. There's no set rule for how a product will work in ones hair. For me I use very few black hair products (only found one that I liked...and then promptly forgot what it was:sad1:...I'll have to go down the aisles to jog my memory) sense my texture finds them to have simply too much oil to handle.

Only sure way to find out is to try and see.

With luv,
    BD
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    3d3n wrote: »
    Hello,

Gabi.

Hello Gabi. I am mixed as well and to a certain extent I think hair is hair but I do think the curlier or kinkier the hair the more moisture is needed and the moisture level has to be maintained regularly.

I don't use products geared to African-Americans found in most stores at all. I don't because I find these products are heavily filled with mineral oil and petroleum which seem to really create a viscious cycle and the hair ends up greasy and straw-like because moisture is being blocked when these products are applied. And then you have to use a moisture stripping shampoo just to get the junk off your hair and scalp. So I avoid them.

I stick with washing my hair with a silicone free conditioner and apply an oil like grape seed, olive, or castor. I actually apply conditioner on my hair and mix it with one of the oils or all of the oils I mentioned. I actually mix these oils in a bottle and use it like that at times right in the shower. Other good oils are sunflower and palm nut. And I look at water as my hair's best friend. I co-wash (conditioner wash) my hair daily.. yes even in winter.. LOL! And my hair thrives that way.

I think how thick, fine, coarse, or it's porosity, etc will determine what sorts of products are best for your own hair and not neccessarily that you are mixed. Because I have very thick mainly 3c hair with some 3b curls and natural oils like I mentioned work wonders on my hair. But then I know some people with finer hair that really cannot use a lot of the oils that I can because it weighs their hair down.

So it's a trial and error thing based on your own individual hair.

Have you ever thought about just trying maybe some silicone free conditioners and natural oils as leave ins ? You can get access to both for low prices and easily I would think in the UK. A lot easier and cheaper than looking for a certain products for mixed race hair.. LOL! Even if you didn't use any oils.. and just used a good conditioner as a leave in might work. Perhaps some trials with gels ?

I use oil because I like the shine and I try to keep my ends sealed. I don't use gels often because I don't need them to maintain my curls. But in windy or bad weather my hair likes and they are great for holding updos!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I have to agree. My family is mixed (think UN into a blender) and I use a lot of different stuff. Hemp Seed Oil is awesome. Walnut Oil can be good. If you can eat it, you can put it on your hair. Avocado oil is good. Grapeseed oil is another good one. Canola oil, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, and the list goes on. Make a trip your local grocery and check out the selection.

The biggest thing is not to be afraid to experiment. If you can it eat, it's safe to put on your head. Learn to listen to your hair and it will tell you what it needs.

My hair used to hate Silk protein. Now it seems to like it. It used to looove dairy. At one point, my DT consisted of a pint of heavy whipping cream and some honey. Now my hair gets all stiff and hard when I put that on it. My ahir used to love olive oil and now it gets stiff and hard if I put olive oil on it.
  • 3d3n3d3n Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks for all of the comments! I've stopped using sulphate shampoos, and am now using TIGIs Sulphate Free Shampoo which is really good (but expensive, about £10)... I'm still looking for a good conditioner, I agree with the comments regarding beauty products for black hair- the conditioners destroy my curls and leave my hair a bit gooey...

I'll try experimenting with some of the natural oils suggested!
  • ninadefninadef Posts: 243Registered Users
    Back in the day I experienced Afro products heavier because of mineral oil and White products more damaging because of alcohol.

Don't see that this is the case as much any more.
  • MixedChica00MixedChica00 Posts: 10Registered Users
    The problem is that it DOES make a difference your ethnic background because that is how they group the hair products. First off in America, they think there are only two types of people: Black & White. No asian, no hispanics,and no mixes of any kind. For those of us that ARE biracial or multiracial ( not background but from our parents themselves) it is difficult finding the right products. There does need to be a curly/mixed hair section at the stores. I know ALOT other mixed people and the hair is generally the same with just varying degrees of curliness.

I have found more success in the 'white' section because the black hair products are too greasy and harsh for me. I like Garnier Fructis and Frizz Ease but dealing with the alcohol dries it out! AAGH! I prefer natural all the way and like using coconut oil extra virgin as well as olive oil. Experimenting with those. I hope you can find the right products for u! Keep us posted!
  • icurlicurl Posts: 1Registered Users
    The problem is that it DOES make a difference your ethnic background because that is how they group the hair products. First off in America, they think there are only two types of people: Black & White. No asian, no hispanics,and no mixes of any kind. For those of us that ARE biracial or multiracial ( not background but from our parents themselves) it is difficult finding the right products. There does need to be a curly/mixed hair section at the stores. I know ALOT other mixed people and the hair is generally the same with just varying degrees of curliness.

I have found more success in the 'white' section because the black hair products are too greasy and harsh for me. I like Garnier Fructis and Frizz Ease but dealing with the alcohol dries it out! AAGH! I prefer natural all the way and like using coconut oil extra virgin as well as olive oil. Experimenting with those. I hope you can find the right products for u! Keep us posted!

i totally agree! your racial background matters when it comes to hair products. I am mixed (black/white) i also tend to lean more towards the "white" section but neither did what i wanted it to do with my hair. I recently switched to mixed chicks products and i absolutely love it ! I think someone has finally got it right for all the biracial people out there. it defines my curls and makes them so much more manageable ( I'm a type b) good luck !
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    icurl wrote: »

i totally agree! your racial background matters when it comes to hair products. I am mixed (black/white) i also tend to lean more towards the "white" section but neither did what i wanted it to do with my hair. I recently switched to mixed chicks products and i absolutely love it ! I think someone has finally got it right for all the biracial people out there. it defines my curls and makes them so much more manageable ( I'm a type b) good luck !

yeah, not so much. like kathymack said, hair is hair and it doesn't know which race you claim. my daughter is biracial (black/white) has "white" people 3a/b curls and mixed chicks did nothing for her hair but make it tangled. i'm black, i've been told i have "biracial/mixed" 3c curls and mixed chicks didn't do a thing but make my hair feel waxy and gross.
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    icurl wrote: »

yeah, not so much. like kathymack said, hair is hair and it doesn't know which race you claim. my daughter is biracial (black/white) has "white" people 3a/b curls and mixed chicks did nothing for her hair but make it tangled. i'm black, i've been told i have "biracial/mixed" 3c curls and mixed chicks didn't do a thing but make my hair feel waxy and gross.

That's right. Hair is not "racial", it's just a particular texture. There are "straight up black" folks, with "3b/3C" hair, okay? Lots. I know some. Trust me. Both parents are Black.

So, since they're not "mixed", are they limited to the "black" section in the drugstore? Of course not! That doesn't make one bit of sense. Truth is, those of us with type 4 hair need to stay out of the "black" hair product section too.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • espresso.curlsespresso.curls Posts: 94Registered Users
    Aw wow interesting discussion going on here!

I'm mixed (multiracial; Black, American Indian, East Asian, and then some), and have quite the mix of curls going on my head ranging from 2c-3c. The majority of my hair is about 3b and 3a though, but the curl type isn't limited to one section on my head.

I'm finding that type doesn't matter as much as texture and volume do, for me at least. You could have the curliest of curls, but the finest of texture and the thinnest of volume. Or, the waviest of hair that is coarse like all get-out and looks like lion mane. I've shopped in both the "white" and "black" sections of stores, and have used products from both sections. If they want to make racial sections in stores, I wish they'd have a Latino, Mediterranean, Asian, multiple Mixed sections, etc. Hehe, but that's beside the point.

I'm not CG (yet) so I've been basking on 'coney isle. I don't know what they have over in the UK, but Herbal Essence shampoos & conditioners work best for me, I avoid their styling products though. Styling products from Garnier Fructis and Aussie work well for me too, as do their shampoos and conditioners, but I prefer Herbal Essence for the washing and conditioning thing. Luster's Pink Moisturizing Glosser is something I like to use sometimes, more so when I straighten my hair, but also when I leave my hair curly.

Don't be afraid to try random things out. I don't know what the return policies are like over there, but you could always just return the product if you don't like it, or if you have a serious allergic reaction to it.

Also, you could do some research on natural or home remedies. Those may be cheaper than going on and buying products, unless you use uber expensive ingredients, then...
    Just rockin' the natural curls.
  • morenaemorenae Posts: 43Registered Users
    Whatever you do, DO NOT follow this person's advice. TERRIBLE!

How to Manage Mixed Race Hair
  • PeedubPeedub Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Exactly! Hair IS NOT just hair. If it was JUST hair, we'd all have the same hair 🤷🏽‍♂️ fair to say? Biracial and Multiracial hair takes on a role in and of itself to the point it needs its own section in any haircare store. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file