My Homemade Deep Treament!!!

So I've been thinking of making my own products for a while. Today was DT day and I decided to mix a couple things up that I know my hair loooves (EVOO and honey). I came up with a DT and so far I'm really liking it! It is nice and creamy and has SLIP (omg) so I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I used:
-2 Tbsp of conditioner of choice (I used Nutri-Repair)
-2 Tbsp of EVOO
-1 Tbsp of Honey

First you add the condish and EVOO into a bowl. Then you pour the honey into the bowl and stir until the consistency is sort of whipped and creamy. Then you can section your hair if you want, and smooth/rake the DT through your hair. Finally, put on a plastic bag or shower cap, and leave it on for however long you want, the longer the better!

I might buy some grapefruit seed extract to add and multiply the ingredients so I can store it thus not having to make a new batch every week.

I'll update tonight on how my hair turns out but right now it feels really good, even though it is still up, it feels moisturised. xo

PS: I wouldn't recommend going out with this on your head as with any other DT because you'll look like the thing from outerspace, smelling like honey-coated apples roasted in evoo....but you could always put a hat or a scarf over it, even a slouchie sorta beanie :D

ETA: I edited this post because I found out that honey only creates peroxide if it is 1/2 cup of honey mixed with 1/2 cup of water. If it is only a tablespoon or so of honey, there is no need to melt it :) I don't like melting it anyways.
~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
~~~
Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
~~~

Comments

• zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    This looks really good! I've been thinking I need to do a DT for awhile now and I think I'm going to try this tonight. Do you know how to tell if your hair likes certain ingredients or not? I know this is kind of off-topic, but I don't know if my hair likes honey or other products and was wondering if anybody knew. Thanks! :)
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    Thanks! Well I started by using a little honey with conditioner as my DT and my hair responded really well. Then I wanted to try Olive Oil so I used that as a DT for a while and my hair love love LOVED it. You just have to experiment with different ingredients to see if your hair likes them. Also, honey is a humectant so it draws moisture from the air when it is a humid/moist atmosphere, so I wouldn't recommend it for a dry climate. And of course, don't use anything you're allergic to or you have had a reaction to.

Later this week I will try out the DT with just EVOO and conditioner mixed together because my microwave stuffed up :\ I think it will work just as well and honey is very sticky anyway. The recipe is good because you can customise it any way you like. x
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    ~~~

• crazycurlz427crazycurlz427 Posts: 46Registered Users
    do you wet your hair before putting this on?
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    If you use only condish/evoo then you can wet your hair beforehand if you want to, but I wouldn't wet it if you're using the honey because honey/water creates peroxide when combined :)
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    ~~~

• RoxymiamiRoxymiami Posts: 8Registered Users
    Yesterday I actually made my own Deep Conditioner..

I used..

One EGG
    1/4 Cup Mayo
    3 TBL Spoon Olive Oil
    1 TBL Spoon JoJoBa Oil
    3 TBL Spoon Coconut Oil
    Shea Butter

I mixed it all together and separated my hair and applied for about an hour.. When i washed it my hair felt softer and stronger.. It was a good mix.

I did this on DRY hair
  • zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    This is sitting in my hair right now. I finally tried it after awhile. This is my first deep treatment, and I think my hair will thank me for it! I added one small banana to the recipe. I will report back after I take it out.
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
  • Vera_ewashVera_ewash Posts: 32Registered Users
    I did just that a few weeks ago using a different conditioner and loved it. Didn't really measure it up though :)

Regarding honey and peroxide....taken from wikipedia

"Hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is formed in a slow-release manner by the enzyme glucose oxidase present in honey. It becomes active only when honey is diluted, requires oxygen to be available for the reaction (thus it may not work under wound dressings, in wound cavities or in the gut), is active only when the acidity of honey is neutralised by body fluids, can be destroyed by the protein-digesting enzymes present in wound fluids, and is destroyed when honey is exposed to heat and light.[67] Honey chelates and deactivates the free ion, which starts the formation of oxygen free radicals produced by hydrogen peroxide and the antioxidant constituents in honey help clean up oxygen free radicals present.[69]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey
    comic-p.jpg
  • Vera_ewashVera_ewash Posts: 32Registered Users
    edited....double post.....
    comic-p.jpg
  • SuzzetteSuzzette Posts: 49Registered Users
    I was wondering how do you guys make sure your hair won't be oily after using olive oil. Do you use a shampoo or conditioner?
    CG Med. to Coarse/Normal Porosity/ProteinSensitive

CoWash: V05 or Suave
    Conditioner: Suave
    Leave in: GVP Balm Conditioner
    Gel: HESMU or HETT

"Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint!"- Jane Austen
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I mix conditioner and olive oil for my DT too (along with jojoba oil, coconut oil, and rosemary EO) and I agree it is an awesome combo, especially when I have the time to leave it in overnight my hair feels so luscious in the AM when I'm rinsing it out. As for when I rinse, I just co-wash with a light conditioner (suave coconut) and my hair is never oily from the olive oil. Just make sure you rinse really well and you should be golden!
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file