Highlights on Dark Brown Hair?

definingnamedefiningname Posts: 19Registered Users
I've never put any type of color in my hair, at all. I'm very skeptical about doing so because I really am terrified of damaging my hair. I'd like to get some golden brown/honey colored highlights on my dark brown (almost black) hair. Any suggestions on what to use, or if to color it all?
-Angelica

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Going that light with hair as dark as yours is one of the most damaging things you can do to it since you'd have to use something to lift the color like a highlighting powder or bleach. If you're that afraid of the damage then that's not the route you'll want to go.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with rymorg. I wouldn't go that light if your hair is almost black.

I would first go to several different professionals for a consultation first, and then see which idea you like the best.

Good luck.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • StellarCurlsStellarCurls Posts: 159Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have medium brown hair and I've had dark red lowlights to bright red and blonde highlights, and I've never had any damage. However, I only get them in my crown (and one strip underneath for if I do a ponytail), and I would never attempt them myself at home. For lightening color, a professional stylist is the way to go.
    APL 3A
    Medium porosity, medium density, medium thickness
    Current routine: Daily co-washing with Giovanni conditioner (whatever is on sale), styling with Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier, and 1-2x per week cleansing with a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar followed by an ACV rinse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file