Eep, my showers are too long!

lldm2lldm2 Posts: 173Registered Users
Shower time=
Straight hair [shower cap]: 20 minutes
Curly hair: 1 hour+

Definitely /not/ good.
Most of that time is used detangling/trying to get my hair fully WET.

We don't have low shower pressure or anything, my hair is just /dense/ and it takes forever to get it fully wet. What makes it worse, is if a spot hasn't been wet in about 10 minutes, it dries completely!
It's so frustrating...

How long are your showers, detangling included (Or maybe you're lucky and don't have to detangle)?

On a positive note:
I got a lot of compliments on my hair today(=

african-american-hair-style-4.jpg

That's what my hair basically looked like, except the front didn't stick straight up.
I got as many compliments today, as I do when I straighten my hair after having it curly for awhile. Ironic, huh?

Edit: I'm also BCing tomorrow..only 1-2 inches of straight hair left though, if that. I've gotten scissor happy with the relaxed hair on more than one occasion.
3c/4a

Wanting;
APL/MBL

Comments

• kinkycurlycutiekinkycurlycutie Posts: 40Registered Users
    When I'm washing my hair and detangling it usually takes me close to an hour and I don't even have thick or long hair, my hair is just usually really tangled.

good luck on your BC.
    Hair type: mostly very tight 4a with a little 3c and 4b, porous:walk:, medium-thickness

HG: Jessicurl hcc, jessicurl too shea extra moisturizing conditioner, VO5 moisture milk, eco styler olive oil styling gel, Jane carter hair solutions nourish and shine

event.png
  • Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Posts: 230Registered Users
    Me? Not detangle? HAH.

I shower for a long time. At LEAST 20 minutes conditioning and detangling. Then afterwards I'm like "oh good, I'm done-- oh crap I didn't shower."

I try to turn the shower off when I detangle, but I usually forget.. I don't like wasting so much water though.

Plus I ALWAYS get shampoo in my eyes (allspice = OW.) so I spend a bit of time trying to clear my eyes out.

So maybe 30-45 minutes.. my record is like 15.. but I didn't wash my hair, haha.

I'm pathetic.
    4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
    currently texlaxed!
    APL stretched, ear length curly.
    Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
    Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
    Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
    Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
    Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
    Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    Wow. I only take 15 minutes, and that's with detangling, co washing, conditioning and of course, body washing. :goofy:
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • lldm2lldm2 Posts: 173Registered Users
    @kinkycurlycutie: Thank you(:

@Jamtastic: Haha, that's just like me! My hair'll be conditioned, detangled, all that good stuff. Then I turn off the shower and I'm like "CRAP, I FORGOT TO SHOWER". By that point.. I have about 15 minutes to get dressed, moisturize [face], and get out the door to my bus.
    Needless to say, I'm frequently late..&& don't enjoy having to wake up at 5 AM to actually catch my bus on time.

@Mystic: I've always taken forever in the shower. I tend to think too much while I'm in there, and before I know it about a half hour has gone by. Then theres the 30-40 minutes taken (atleast) on my hair..
    3c/4a

Wanting;
    APL/MBL
    Yeah my showers have made me miss the bus several times. Even though I wake up an hour and a half before it comes.

But it's my own fault, I need to cut off the rest of this relaxed hair.

Once I do that, I should spend a bit less time on my hair. My relaxed hair tangles like mad when I use my shampoo, and is like, hard no matter what I do. It can't tolerate protein like my natural hair does I think (which is in my shampoo and my co-wash condish), and is like never moisturized so I spend a lot of time trying to make it look like it is.

Lots of luck on your BC! My full one should be coming up soon, and I'll be au naturale!
    currently texlaxed!
  • CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
    I don't know if you have porous or "thirsty" hair...but if you have either of those I would highly reccomend trying Del's Spritz and Condish Method.

Not only did it make my hair look ten times better, but it also cut down my shower time because you actually put in your condish out of the shower.

HTH!
    CG since December 22, 2008!:thumbright:
    Thick/Coarse/Porous/3a/Protein Sensitive

Luvin the Spritz and Condish method! =)
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    I take about 15-20 minutes in the shower....

-Cowash with V05
    -Detangle for about 1-2 minutes, adding more conditioner for more detangling
    -Wash my face with cleanser
    -Get puddle of GVP Conditioning Balm about the size of a quarter and nickel combined
    -Comb through
    -Leave it in while I clean myself up
    -Rinse condish with lukewarm water

And that's it :) I agree with CurlayGirlay about the Spritz and Condish method.
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    I turn off the shower when I'm doing my hair, granted that it doesn't take my hair very long to get wet. Maybe you could try the detangling with the shower off? It gets a little cold, but it's worth it because you save water. I live in a drought area, so it's very important to save water you can.

How do you detangle your hair? A wide toothed comb cuts detangling time for me.

HTH
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
    @Jamtastic - Same here, with the 1.5 hour thing. I just got the rest of my relaxed hair cut off Wednesday. I got it blow dried though, so I haven't had the need to detangle it yet. I'm getting it wet tomorrow though... so I'll come on here and tell how that goes :P

@Curlay Well.. my hair dries before I even get out of the shower :/ . So, yeah my hair is really thirsty I guess xP

@Botticelli 2 minutes for detangling? It takes me that long just to get the comb through a -not- tangled section :/.

@Zcurly Yeah, I would try that, but my hair would just dry up and I'd have to keep turning the shower back on to get it wet again :(. Otherwise, I would shower with the water off.. It would save so much.
    3c/4a

Wanting;
    APL/MBL
    Have you tried detangling after you put your conditioner in your hair? That might help. So your hair dries really fast? My hair takes forever to dry...
    2c/3a/3b

Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
  • curlybeautycurlybeauty Posts: 81Registered Users
    I only take about 10-15 minutes in the shower, and that's with conditioning, detangling, & using my body wash.

• curls 2nvcurls 2nv Posts: 318Registered Users
    my showers are long as well. i cant wash up and wash my hair in the same shower because there is no more hot water left. it usually takes me an hour, but lately in has only been taking twenty minutes since im doing more protective styles for the winter. i was able to detangle my hair AND take a shower
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
    Well it only takes so long because of the tangles..
    I had my hair straightened on .. Wednesday? Monday my hair was easy to detangle, 5 minutes tops?
    My shower was only about 25 mins.

&& yeah I do detangle after putting conditioner in. Wide toothed comb too, only.
    3c/4a

Wanting;
    APL/MBL
    Omg.. I actually didn't kill myself trying to hurry up and detangle my hair this morning.

I think it was because of the slip of Herbal Essences + using my mom's paddle brush (don't tell her, she'd stomp my throat). My hair was so soft and neatly defined, even without gel.

... then I got rained on. Twice. I was like "AGHHHHHH!"

That conditioner really helps with detangling for me. And it smells yummy! I used it after my ApHogee 2 minute reconstructor and my head smelled like a fruit punch popsicle all day, it was amazing.
    currently texlaxed!
  • CurlyFlixCurlyFlix Posts: 58Registered Users
    I generally take about 15-20 minutes to have a shower. That's conditioner worked in, combed through with a very wide-toothed comb, washed out, followed by rich conditioner over the length, left in for 3 minutes during body washing and then washed out.

I used to be about 30 minutes when I first started CG, but now I've got used to the routine and finished cutting out shampoo it's a bit quicker.

But then, of course, I have to re-detangle my hair after my shower, apply leave-in conditioner and plop my hair for about an hour, so if you include that into the time it's about 90 minutes lol.
    [FONT=&quot]Hair type:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 3a/3b, 'tanned blonde', fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity, fine texture, naturally curly hair.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Conditioner:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Pure Coconut Oil Conditioner worked in, left for several minutes, washed out, second gentler application, left in for 3 minutes, washed out.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Styling:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Boots Essentials Curl Creme or Styling Mousse for Curls[/FONT]

event.png

• britney.britney. Posts: 292Registered Users
    Same here for me! It takes me an hour to take a shower too, because it takes FOREVER for me to detangle my hair too. I hate it, it's so annoying. My hair gets horribly tangled so easily! ):
    2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
    Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
    Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
    Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

• coscasscoscass Posts: 90Registered Users
    Wow. It's insane how long you guys stay in the shower. My showers at 10 minutes at most. I have an allergy to water, though, so unless I get in and out I break out in hives.

Typically, I hop in, wet my hair, scrub my scalp, and slap the conditioner on. Part it down the middle, untangle it with my fingers or a wide tooth comb, condition the ends, rinse, and I'm out.

Sometimes, if I haven't taken an allergy pill, I have to wet my hair outside of the shower (in the sink), scrub it there, put the conditioner on and untangle it, then hop inside to rinse, wash my body, then hop out.

It kinda sucks sometimes.
    coscass wrote: »
    Wow. It's insane how long you guys stay in the shower. My showers at 10 minutes at most. I have an allergy to water, though, so unless I get in and out I break out in hives.

It kinda sucks sometimes.

Oh my gosh, that does sound hard. I've never heard of an allergy to water! What a nuisance!
    2c/3a/3b

• SpeedGoddessSpeedGoddess Posts: 118Registered Users
    Whoa, I remember when I'd take an hour in the shower cuz of my hair! Now I'm down to 20 minutes, tops :thumright:

It's all about strategy, lol. If your hair dries so fast, maybe it's really damaged and needs deep conditioning to help with that? Just a wild guess
    But here's what I do in the shower:
    1. Wet hair, put in Suave Naturals
    2. Split hair in half, detangle one half, then the other, with just my FINGERS (for me, it's faster than a wide tooth comb AND less breakage!). I'll add conditioner if I need extra help detangling
    3. SHOWER (lol)
    4. Run fingers through my hair again to make sure it's all untangled
    5. Rinse out SOME of my conditioner, but not all
    Then I'm done!

Maybe if you took a shower at night to detangle your hair and put it in a braid, it won't be as tangled in the morning??? That's what I used to do

I hope at least Some of that helps! :icon_smile:
    Hair type: 3B

CG since: Dec '08

(Johnson&Johnson No More Tears Shampoo when need help with build-up), Suave Naturals condish, leave some in, LaBella Gel, then out the door!

You only live once...make it count

I think it's because I have a Spongy hair texture.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

I'll try that though, thanks(:
    3c/4a

Wanting;
    APL/MBL
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
    My showers usually take about 10 minutes. My hair isn't too bad when I detangle, but it usually takes me 1:35 to detangle it.
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• pe476206pe476206 Posts: 117Registered Users
    It takes me 5 minutes in the shower when I do not need to shampoo my hair. It takes 10 min. when I have to shampoo and condition my hair. I do not co-wash because it makes my hair not look as good. After the shower it does not take me long to syle my curly hair but most of the time I let my hair airdry. Sometimes I diffuse my hair but only blow dry for a few minutes. If I blow dry my hair for longer than a few minutes my hair will become frizz. After the shower I:
    1. Use a wide tooth comb to detangle my knotted hair
    2. I put my hair up in a Curlease towel for a couple of minutes. It is to get all the excess H2O out of my hair
    3. I put in my leave in conditioner and styling products.
    4. I air-dry my hair, or diffuse my hair. When my hair is wet. When my hair dries it usually does not become hard so I can skip the step to SOTC
    Fine hair, 3a/3b
    Shampoo: switching from a couple
    Conditioner: Herbal Essences totally twisted conditioner
    Deep conditioner: Aussie 3 minute miracle
    Styling products: pureology real curl, framesi hair treatment line colored treated serum
  • carlyisapiratecarlyisapirate Posts: 59Registered Users
    My showers take about 30 minutes. I spent most of my time trying to comb out my hair...it's ridiculous! I would give anything to be able to take quick showers...
  • Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Posts: 268Registered Users
    Ok, my showers are at least 45 minutes, usually an hour (I always take up all the hot water, hee hee:)). About 10 minutes of it is just relaxing in the hot water, and then about 20 + minutes is doing my hair, 30 + minutes is regular shower stuff (exfoliating, body wash). Then if I'm shaving that day it takes about 20 minutes--I take forever! I want to make sure I get a close shave. But, you know, it's worth it if I can get beautiful waves!
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file