New Shows: The Office & The New Advs. of Old Christ

shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
Okay, so last night I saw the pilots of these shows.

The Office: I do not think I could actually watch this show many times. I find "offices" very boring and do not like the way the show is filmed...the camera is shaky like a home video and it makes me a little dizzy. Also, the main character is so awkward that I am embarrassed FOR him... kind of like when I watch "Meet the Parents"... Some of the stuff was a little funny though. I liked when he made the barrier between the desks using pencils! Wont be watching htis show.

New Adventures of Old Christine:
I like Julia Louis Dreyfus as a mom. And the kid is cute too. I liked the show and will probably watch it again if I see it on.

Did you see these and what do you think?
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    Both these shows have been on at least a year. :? Are they just late getting to Japan?
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    The Office is originally a British show (which I find funnier than the US version). Give it a few episodes to see whether or not you like it. It's a very good show, so give it a chance.

I haven't watched the Julia Louis Dreyfus show.
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    mrspoppers wrote:
    Both these shows have been on at least a year. :? Are they just late getting to Japan?

:( Are you serious? We don't get regular channels. They have a few military channels that they randomly choose shows to put on. I thought they were new. Well, I guess they are new to us! That is funny!!! We don't even have commercials here iether. Just public service announcements like, "Don't forget to wash your hands" and stuff like that!!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    Sigi wrote:
    The Office is originally a British show (which I find funnier than the US version). Give it a few episodes to see whether or not you like it. It's a very good show, so give it a chance.

I haven't watched the Julia Louis Dreyfus show.

Yeah, I watched the Britsih version in Sweden. It is much better than the American version I think.

I thought the Julia Dreyfus show was cute but not enough to make me wanna watch it again really.
  • mazeymazey Registered Users Posts: 709
    I love The Office (US version). Season 3 starts here in the States in a couple weeks, so yeah, you are definitely behind the times. :wink:

I think The Office really hit its stride in the second season, when they broke away from the English version and started doing more of their own thing.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    I remember watching the first episode of The Office and then pieces here and there in the first season, and felt exactly the way you did. Offices are boring, and the boss just made me feel so uncomfortable......

...but now it's my favorite comedy on TV by FAR. Give it a chance. I've only seen a few episodes in season 2, but that one with the "Dundies" awards? Oh my god, I think I almost died laughing.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    he he, I read the title as "New Advice of Old Christ" :lol:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Give The Office a chance. It's one of those shows that grows on you and slowly hits its stride - it is really brilliant.

I've watched a few episodes of the New Adventures of Old Christine and it's not bad. Defintiely a "typical sitcom", unlike The Office, but a decent one.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Registered Users Posts: 1,078
    I love the Office. I can't wait for the new season to start!
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • mafaldamafalda Registered Users Posts: 510
    I grudgingly have learned to love NBC's The Office. I tried very hard not too. :oops: I guess I didn't think anything could be as good or surpass the original BBC version. But I must admit, the American version is hilarious.

For the Old Chrisine show, I don't find it very funny. I'm glad that Julia Louise Dreyfuss found a post-Seinfeld show that hasn't gotten cancelled within the first few weeks, but imo, it's just an average show. But what do I know, she won the Emmy for best actress in a comedy, right?
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • spiderman5000spiderman5000 Registered Users Posts: 673 Curl Connoisseur
    I adore The Office. I love Steve Carrell and John Kransinski!
  • ursulaursula Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Curl Neophyte
    I have tried and tried and tried, but I HATE the Office! What am I missing? Can someone explain to me what's funny about it? Seriously. I feel like I'm on crazy pills. I think I've "given it a chance," but then I think, "Why should I have to work to like it?"

I like the British Office a lot. Most reviews of the American show have made a point of saying that viewers should approach the show on its own terms, not through the lens of the British one, but I honestly don't think I'm doing that. OK, maybe I am. I love me some Ricky Gervais.

I don't like the Louis-Dreyfus show either. I'm such a TV addict--particularly with sitcoms--but I just can't find a show I like that's on now. It saddens me. Earl's OK, I guess. I sort of liked Arrested Development, and now that's gone.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • SCGSCG Registered Users Posts: 5,416
    ursula wrote:
    I have tried and tried and tried, but I HATE the Office! What am I missing? Can someone explain to me what's funny about it? Seriously. I feel like I'm on crazy pills. I think I've "given it a chance," but then I think, "Why should I have to work to like it?"

I like the British Office a lot. Most reviews of the American show have made a point of saying that viewers should approach the show on its own terms, not through the lens of the British one, but I honestly don't think I'm doing that. OK, maybe I am. I love me some Ricky Gervais.

I don't like the Louis-Dreyfus show either. I'm such a TV addict--particularly with sitcoms--but I just can't find a show I like that's on now. It saddens me. Earl's OK, I guess. I sort of liked Arrested Development, and now that's gone.

I think one of the reasons why I love The Office (us) is because I didn't watch the British version first. I didn't have anything to compare it to.

Have you ever watched Curb Your Enthusiasm? My brother is super picky with tv, and he said that since Arrested Development got cancelled, he's been watching that as a replacement. I've never watched it, but I've heard from a few people that it's good. :)

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I LOVE Curb Your Enthusiasm! Love love love it!
  • fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    i just rented the first season of the office simply because i heard it was good and i rarely watch televsion.

i thought it was funny. i will have to rent season 2.

(off to watch little miss sunshine)
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Registered Users Posts: 4,263
    I am ashamed to say that I have never seen THE OFFICE. :oops:
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    I find The "American" Office too heartwarming, fuzzy, and contrived. I can see why people like it, but it's not for me. I've never seen the Christine show.

PS: You should watch Arrested Development. Seriously :wink:
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    I love the Office (American version--never seen the British version).
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file