Xanthan gum

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
What does the xanthan gum you use look like ?

I finally found xanthan gum but have no idea which to useand how to use it. There was a variety of them.
A white powdered texture xanthan gum, another one that had the texture of powder in off-white colour (a bit like the colour of whole wheat flour), and one in the form of little brown flakes.

Which kind do you use as a thickener for you homemade cosmetics and how much should be used ?

And one more question, what's the difference between xanthan gum and guar gum ? Can guar gum also be used as a thickener in homemade cosmetics ?

Thanks

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    the one I have is a white(ish) powder. You can use both as thickeners for homemade products. I use the xanthan gum. You have to add it very slowly or it gunks up (for want of a better word). HTH icon7.gif
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    both xanthum gum and guar gum can be used as thickeners. Guar gum is found in more commercial products but it is harder to use for homemade products because it really does "gunk up" on you much more quickly than xanthum gum will. i find Xanthum gum is easier to use and produces a product with a better feel. curlyhairmich is correct that you should use it a little at a time. If you use a stick blender or immersion blender you can easily smooth out any of the fish eye lumps that develop.

the best xanthum gum to use ranges from white to off-white/beige powder. Color depends on the manufacturer.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file