Castile Soap

alisons79alisons79 Registered Users Posts: 680
Okay, silly question but can castile soap be used as a CG friendly shampoo?
3A/3B
I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Technically, yes. But, castile soap is notoriously drying. It will literally make your hair squeaky clean and rough. There are clarifying shampoos with sulfates that are gentler. I'd really have to advise against using castile soap on you hair.
    DP
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    I used to use that soap to do my laundry. I tried it a few times on my hair, it left a film and made my hair really dry.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • mariposamariposa Registered Users Posts: 177
    Interesting to see this thread...... Is the drying castile dr. bonner's or all castiles?

Got a sample of this castile soap shampoo today - it's made by a small company

http://www.17thcenturysuds.com/index.html

has olive oil, jojoba, and sodium hydroxide (lye)

was wondering what people think of it for washing hair - curious if I should still dilute it..... since it doesn't have additives/is not dr bonner's

the woman who makes it was very nice but not so helpful w- hair routines..... she says you don't need conditioner w- this this soap b/c it's not drying and doesn't strip hair....... i don't think she takes into account that her hair is straight

any thoughts, suggestions?
    4a/4b tiny penspring curls
    Lifelong natural i.e. never relaxed

hair growth journey
    http://public.fotki.com/boboleta/
  • snap catsnap cat Registered Users Posts: 72
    I tried a castile soap recently - it was just olive oil and mineral salt. Left my hair so dry it was silly! I could tell after just 2 swipes of the bar of soap over my head it was really squeaky and I knew I had done bad :oops: I'd say don't do it!
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
    Current likes: Too Shea!, WDT, Curls Milkshake, Re:coil, Curls Spiral Cream, CCSS, - not all at the same time :D
    pw: miaow - updated 2006-10-04
    Lye would be very bad to use on your hair. Castile soap is usually based on something that's moisturizing, usually olive oil. But, the saponifying process that the oil goes through makes it very drying. I guess you could find a castile soap that has a lot of non-saponified shea butter in it...But really, when there are so many non-sulfate shampoos out there, why take the risk? Honestly, I wouldn't use it on my skin.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Ick...no way in hell would I use soap to wash my hair. The PH is too high, and it's damaging and drying. I know "shampoo bars" are all the internet rage these days, because they're "natural". It's still SOAP, and just the nature of the soapmaking process makes it have a high PH. You have to use lye to make soap and lye is caustic. There's no way to bring down the PH without making all the other ingredients "fall out" of the suspension and ending up with a greasy soft mess. So, don't let anyone tell you that the PH has been neutralized. If the product is hard, it's a high PH soap.

I do like to use castille soap on my body though.
    There's no way to bring down the PH without making all the other ingredients "fall out" of the suspension and ending up with a greasy soft mess. So, don't let anyone tell you that the PH has been neutralized. If the product is hard, it's a high PH soap.

Hi

the one I was referring to is not a hard soap..... it's a liquid shampoo
    does the pH rule still apply??

thanks!

hair growth journey
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    the one I was referring to is not a hard soap..... it's a liquid shampoo
    does the pH rule still apply??

Possibly. The process of turning oil into castille also creates a high PH. Some sort of acid must be added to bring down the PH. You'd have to test it, or ask the manufacturer what the PH is.
    just wanted to update that i have used this shampoo a few times now.... always very diluted..... and it is DEFINITELY a HG..... it's not drying..... it cleanses without being stripping

the only time it won't do well is with tons of heavy stuff but then maybe i should have used it full strength that time

i feel that using this, alog with my medicated shampoo (which i hardly use anymore) i don't need any other shampoo..... in august i was rotating several..... now i shampoo only every 2-3 weeks....

hair growth journey
  • tashamedictashamedic Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    i have been using castile soap for a couple years now, i have low porosity, low density, 2b hair. I also have a super sensitive scalp. i found that after switching to Castile soap (i now use the bar) that my hair was curlier. i am still very new to the curly girl method. I dont blow dry or defuse my hair as it would take me over an hour. i do rince with a 1:1 vinager rinse, and i only was my hair 3x in 2 weeks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file