Help!! Trying to find out recent cause of acne

CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm 23 and for the past few months, my acne's been worse than it was during my teen years.
I'm pretty sure it's not caused by my face products. I clean my makeup brushes and satin pillowcases regularly too.

Because I toss a lot when I sleep, I'm wondering if the HESMU gel from my hair is getting in my pores and causing acne. My forehead, that doesn't typically breakout, is broken out. I have bangs, and again think the gel is getting on my face and clogging my pores...maybe this is a stretch, but I don't want to sell the idea short. I also shower in pretty hot water (bad, I know), and wonder if that could in some way trigger acne because I'm getting some small breakouts on my back too.

To note:
  • I have combo oily skin
  • I normally get acne that lasts a week right before 'that time of the month', but it's turned into a constant battle.
  • BHA (aka salicylic acid) makes my acne worse, and benzoyl perioxide does nothing but irritate my skin.
  • In the AM I wash with Cetaphil, moisturize with Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Deep Wrinkle Moisturizer w/ spf (has retinoids) and apply Dior NudeSkin foundation
  • In the PM I wash with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser, tone with diluted Tea Tree Oil and moisturize with Ammonium Lactate Lotion (has lactic acid--an AHA) and then Jason Ester-C Lotion (has antioxidants, cell-communicating stuff, etc).
Any last suggestions before I schedule an appointment with a dermatologist who's probably going to tell me it's hormones or stress and then take my monies? :roll:
Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's

Comments

• VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    no real suggestions except that I sleep with my hair pulled back in an elastic band to keep it off my face. maybe you can try that and see if it helps. if so, your hair products probably are the culprit.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    VTmom wrote: »
    no real suggestions except that I sleep with my hair pulled back in an elastic band to keep it off my face. maybe you can try that and see if it helps. if so, your hair products probably are the culprit.

That's a great suggestion, but how do I do that without denting my hair?

I wonder if i could try lightly dabbing some gel on a spot on my face and leave it there all day to see if it makes me break out in that spot...or is doing that just inevitably going to make me break out?

Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't pull it back in a ponytail so there's no dent - it's an elastic band that's a hairband. It's one of these:
    hair001.jpg

used like you would this:
    446617_main.bmp
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    It's probably your moisturizer. It contains salicylic acid (disguised as sunscreen), oils and oily substances. If you're only 23 and have oily skin, you shouldn't need wrinkle cream or anything heavy.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    VTmom wrote: »
    I don't pull it back in a ponytail so there's no dent - it's an elastic band that's a hairband. It's one of these:
    hair001.jpg

used like you would this:
    446617_main.bmp

pooo those would flatten my hair. :( Luckily, I'm thinking it isn't my hair gel that's causing the acne after all.
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    It's probably your moisturizer. It contains salicylic acid (disguised as sunscreen), oils and oily substances. If you're only 23 and have oily skin, you shouldn't need wrinkle cream or anything heavy.
    I didn't realize there was salicyclic acid in the sunscreen--thanks for pointing that out!! My skin gets drier this time of year, but this moisturizer is actually not oily or heavy. I know it's a "wrinkle cream", but I don't like to dismiss things based on what they're called. (I'm in broadcast design, and I know how advertisers twist the truth to make products look like they do certain things or are for certain ages. Sad, but true.). Instead, I look go right to the ingredients, and since this has retinol, antioxidents and cell-communicating ingredients, I like it! :happy3:

I'm trying to sleep more on my back and I started using 10% benzoyl peroxide paste almost every night...and it's helping LOADS! It's weird b/c b. peroxide usually doesn't work for me. I just have to watch with the b. peroxide because it makes my skin dry and flakey.

• Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Posts: 268Registered Users
    If you ask me, I think it's your hair gel! If acne washes like salycidic acid and benzoyl peroxide break out your skin, you're guarenteed to get break outs from hair gel in your face! How bout a satin night cap? Or a microfiber towel?
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file