Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not me.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    WOW! I haven't thought about Fashion Fair in YEARS! Brings back memories! LOL!

When I started using makeup when I was in my early teens.. Fashion Fair was my first real makeup set. My mom got it..she thought I might like it since it wasn't drug store and they cater to women of color. I am mixed and goodness we used to have a hell of time finding a great compact color for me..everything was always way to light or way to dark. I have the weirdest coloring and my undertone is sometime red and sometimes yellow..it's odd.

I used to like it.. I mean hell.. I was a teenage girl..it was makeup..what wasn't to like.. LOL!

Eventually, I ended up hating it though. I have sensitive skin that is acne prone. Has been the same way since I was a kid and back then I didn't have my acne controlled as well. The Fashion Fair made it worse.. so my mom helped me switch to Mary Kay products which I have to say worked WAY better than Fashion Fair.

I sure would love to know how old Fashion Fair is fairing these days (hardy har har har...I'm a regular Mel Brooks over here)... anyway... why do you ask ?

You thinking about using it ? Or already do ?
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It was the first make-up I used, and was completely satisfied with it. I tried Mary Kay, but it made me look ashy and made-up, instead of natural and polished, if you know what I mean.

I haven't used it in a while because my schedule prevented me...long story. But next year, I want to start using it again. I'm happy that it's still around...but I wonder for how long? Few dark-skinned women know about it and fewer use it.

It is sold at Macy's and I believe Nordstrom. I'm sure a trip to the internet can be more specific.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh okay...yeah.. I had some dark skinned friends in high school that loved it because they made the darker colors. I never really found a foundation in Fashion Fair that was right for my skin tone though.

I honestly never found a great color match or one that I loved until I was an adult and started using Bare Escentuals. I used Tan or Warm Tan. Now I use Everyday Minerals Foundation and I use their Tan. They just came out with Toffee not to long ago and I use that too. I like to use the Toffee now and contour with the Tan. Works nice for me.

But yep.. I think Fashion Fair is what spawned companies like Iman's. I think for a long time women of color particularly darker women of color were left out. And companies like Fashion Fair gave them options. I know a few of my friends in high school used to say that.. I would use Covergirl at times and they would say.. Covergirl never makes anything dark enough for us! But Fashion Fair sure did!

One thing I recall about Fashion Fair is their lipstick colors. They had some COOL colors and they kept the lips moist. Loved them!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    This was my first makeup experience. I walked around with an orange face for 3 months before my grandmother told me to take that mess off my face.

I have tried a few foundations since then..I am still looking for the perfect one for me.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's the problem with FF; the foundation colors are often too orangey/red, at least for me. The e/s, lip and cheek colors are also outdated IMO. I'm trying to think of another high-end cosmetics line geared toward WOC, but I can't. I don't think of Iman as high-end.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    UPDATE:

I finally bought some Fashion Fair make-up!! In fact, I had a full facial (foundation, mascara, etc.) at the department store. My friend came with me for an objective opinion. The outing was fun! I'm so glad that it's still around.
  • jadestar1221jadestar1221 Posts: 11Registered Users
    i hated FF when i went to the mall and got tested i looked orange.horrible horrible for me anyways.

i use clinique works better to me.
    I'm still loving Fashion Fair! My next venture will be to try their skin maintenance products.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights