OCM- Anyone still using it?

Night_OwlNight_Owl Posts: 110Registered Users
I was reading a whole bunch of old threads last night (home sick) and came across a few OCM threads. It sounds interesting and promising and I was wondering if anyone was still using it, and if so, how is it working for you?

I had really bad acne as a teenager, trying all kinds of drugs and treatments. Accutane finally cleared up most of it. Now that I'm in my 30's I'm having issues again. Major blackheads on my nose. Little pimples around the forehead and nose, though those are probably from work. (it's a physical job and I tend to sweat lots) The really bad ones though are the huge under-the-skin ones. I usually only get them around my period, though once in a while I just have one pop up. They are mostly on my chin and a few have left scars.

I have very sensitive and allergic skin and can't use most cleaning products since they dry me out or cause a rash.

Any OCM or other tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.
pWP4LOq.jpgpWP4m7.png

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm very happy with the OCM method, but I don't have the breakout issues you describe (anymore). In fact, OCM has helped with the breakouts I was having.

Except for this boulder by my lip.......
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have very few breakouts (even before using OCM), but I do have to stay on top of my congested pores/blackheads. OCM has helped with that. After I rinse off the oil cleanser, I follow up with a gentle "regular" cleanser to make sure there is no oil left behind on my oily T-zone.

Also, a couple of months ago I started using a 0.5 percent retinol lotion. I'm really surprised by how much better my pores look now -- the retinol took my skin to a whole 'nother level. :)
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I still do OCM every night. I love it. I used to hate washing my face at night because of how dry it felt after. I like how effective OCM has been in removing makeup and sunscreen, and it's reduced my tendency towards cysts. I barely get them anymore. I use DHC Deep Cleansing Oil. Just seems to be a good combo of ingredients that work for my skin, and I don't have to use another cleanser after the cleansing oil to remove oily residue (because there is none for me with this product).
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I think the important thing with OCM is to find the correct mix of oils for your skin. I use 70% castor oil and 30% grapeseed oil and a pinch of salt. Also I'm not doing it every day. 2-3 times a week works well for my oily skin. Also I recently started experimenting with adding essential oils to the mix depending on what my skin needs. If you're looking into OCM you should do some research into the properties of individual oils.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,716Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm still using a modified version of OCM. I never had serious acne but OCM has really cleared out my pores. No more blackheads and a great reduction in the painful cysts I used to get.
    I use jojoba mixed with hempseed oil. I massage it into my skin, then use a cleanser (right now I'm loving Burt's Bees orange cleanser) to wash it all off. Then I moisturize with just jojoba or a mixture of jojoba/shea butter/cocoa butter.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    I can do the ocm now..i live in florida and ocm in the summer is a big no no. Tonight i am going to mix castor oil with grapeseed oil.

I also do ocm when wearing makeup..my skin looks good so far.
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    I can only do ocm during this time of year.

I am living in florida now and this is perfect time. Tonight i am going to mix grapeseed oil with castor oil.
    I am do ocm when i am wearing makeup.
    I only do this 2 or 3 times a week.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been doing OCM for almost 18 months. Have roseaca and very allergic sensitive skin. My dermatologist can't believe how good my skin has been since starting. He even did it to see about recommending it to his patients! I'm older (58) and don't have oily skin anymore. I use 10% castor oil, the rest is mostly sunflower oil but I add a little sweet almond, apricot and camellia because I have them around.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file