Amla and Henna

teric506teric506 Posts: 68Registered Users
Hi Everyone,

I am going to be trying a henna gloss tomorrow night and was thinking about adding some amla but I am worried about it messing with the red. Last month I did a full henna with cassia and indigo and it dried my hair out something terrible and I would like to have it more red. So this time I am going to do a gloss hoping it wont dry my hair out and use only henna so it is not so brown. I dont want to lose any curl and that is why i wanted to add some amla. Do you guys think it will make the henna turn to brown or should I be ok because it is a gloss?
CG since 4/10/13
Hair Type 2, Texture-Fine, Porosity-Normal, Elasticity-Normal and very Dense.

Comments

• Khadija.D.CarrylKhadija.D.Carryl Posts: 68Registered Users
    Well a gloss will definetely stretch the color out so it isn't so intense red. So just add a small amount, or you can pre-oil and still do your henna treatment. It works really well. This way it helps control some of the drippiness, and also helps combat that drying out affect. Like a good hair oil would be good for that, such as argan oil, or coconut oil, anyone you like.

Adding a bit of amla powder, like 3-4 tbsp per 100 grams of henna will be nice for your curls and to maintain them. but yes it can tone down the red of your henna. Do you have yemeni henna on hand? It works really well for deep red tones, and may work well when balanced with the amla powder.
  • teric506teric506 Posts: 68Registered Users
    I have punjabi prime henna that I mixed it with. I mixed it up this morning with about 7 tablespoons of henna and only 1 tablespoon of amla. I mixed with water and plan on mixing conditioner in when I get home and then applying it to my hair for 2 hours. Hopefully it will still keep my curl and be red.
    CG since 4/10/13

sounds like good proportions. Let us know how it comes out. You may have needed 2 tbsp but see how it turns out. If anything changes then just up the amla powder a touch
    Ok it is sitting on my head now. I took my henna mixture and added about 1 cup of conditioner to it. I will leave it on for 2 hours so that takes me until 7pm. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much for the advice.

Teri
    CG since 4/10/13

ok it is out and I have a DT in but I suspect it is going to be like last time. I didnt even try to get a comb through it yet because it was like a rats nest. It feels just like it did last time so maybe I just cant use henna which just really stinks because I dont want to use chemicals anymore.
    CG since 4/10/13

did you wash it out with a conditioner? That would help with getting it all out, and making soft to brush through. When you put the henna in, you have to do it in such a way as to not russle up your hair and cause tangles.
    odd though...because you added a lot of conditioner to your mix....hhmmm
    Ya I rinsed it out with a lot of conditioner. Washed my hair and then used almost a whole bottle of the suave natural coconut conditioner to get the rest out. I have a homemade mix that I got online that has a lot of different butters and oils in it that I have sitting in my hair right now. If it doesn't feel better than I am going to have to look into using something else like loving care or something like that.
    CG since 4/10/13

It really shouldn't have been so tough...wonder what went wrong, as I can't seem to figure it out.

So was the hard part getting it out, or is the way it feels what bothers you?
    It wasn't so tough getting it out. It hate the way it feels now and when I was rinsing it out. My hair is all rough and dry feeling. I wont even dare take a comb or brush to it right now but I really have to at some point tonight because of how tangled it is. Even putting globs of conditioner in it hadn't softened it up before I put the deep treatment in it.
    CG since 4/10/13

The deep treatment should help some. How about oiling your hair? Hair oils are lot more richer then conditioners can be especially since they have SLS in a lot of them. But I could be wrong with yours, as I don't know which brand you are using. A lot of conditioners do have a lot of water in them as well. A hair oil would do wonders.

Just really sorry to hear how it turned out!
    The only oil i have here is olive oil so maybe i will try that. I think i used it last time as well.
    CG since 4/10/13

hhhmmm you can give the olive oil a shot, it's usually pretty good. But other oils like coconut oil are really amazing. When you can, try to get yourself some of that.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    teric506 wrote: »
    ok it is out and I have a DT in but I suspect it is going to be like last time. I didnt even try to get a comb through it yet because it was like a rats nest. It feels just like it did last time so maybe I just cant use henna which just really stinks because I dont want to use chemicals anymore.

I have coarse hair also, and henna has made my hair feel really bad and dry. It feels like a protein treatment that never. goes. away. Some people with coarse hair just don't respond well the the hair building properties of henna.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    How did you fix it and what do u use now to color you hair? I though maybe it would be better this morning because I slept with a ton of conditioner and stuff in it but its not better. I have another conditioning treatment in it now. I took a CJ treatment I had and mixed some olive oil, honey, and another treatment butter mixed it all up and slapped it on my hair. Not sure what to do now. I should have learned from my first henna experience but I thought I could make it work.
    CG since 4/10/13

teric506 wrote: »
    How did you fix it and what do u use now to color you hair? I though maybe it would be better this morning because I slept with a ton of conditioner and stuff in it but its not better. I have another conditioning treatment in it now. I took a CJ treatment I had and mixed some olive oil, honey, and another treatment butter mixed it all up and slapped it on my hair. Not sure what to do now. I should have learned from my first henna experience but I thought I could make it work.

I needed about a month of deep treatments, lol. I'd keep on with the CJ treatment as it is a good treatment unless your preferred something heavy like one of the Aubreys.

I wish RiotCurrl was still here. She knew how to explain the symbiotic relationship between henna and protein. Your hair is coarse and you may have protein issues as evidenced by your dislike for the Suave coconut. One is more likely to not react well to henna if you don't react well to protein, although it is certainly not the case for everyone.

As non PC as it is, (and probably not the answer you are looking for) I just do better with chemical color done at a salon. It's not the most natural route, but it is less drying on me than henna was.

I am pretty sure I have a protein sensitivity so I try to stay away from it. The suave was the only thing I had left in the house when I was trying to rinse out the henna so I had to use it. Can I still use chemical color over this. Like natural instincts or loving care. Also I don't mean to pry but what color do you use. I would absolutely love to have mine that color. My henna came out a browner than I would have liked but I think it was from the amla I put in it. I would really like mine to be a similar color to yours. Thanks for the help, it is nice to know that this is not just me and someone has been through this before.
    CG since 4/10/13

I think Khadija can better answer the dye-over-henna question. I believe that with BAQ henna it can be done, but I'm not sure how the two colors would affect the result. The last time I had it done was in Kuwait and I just ended up cutting a bunch since it was easier with the heat and being in uniform.

My stylist uses Wella, but I'm not quite sure which one. My natural color is a dishwater blonde - that sort of color that isn't light enough to be blonde, but not dark enough to be a nice brown either.

ok great, thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it. My natural hair color is similar to dishwater blonde but is a little darker than that now.
    CG since 4/10/13

Remind me which henna powder did you use again? You said it was a pure henna powder, like a baq?

If so then yes you can use chemical dyes to mak any changes to your hair color. It'll be fine :)
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    Anyone else had this type of experience with henna and amla? Or any experience? I have been contemplating this since I miss coloring my hair but refuse to use chemicals. Please share your experiences!
    TIA!
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
    What exactly do you want to know about experiences and results with henna and amla?
  • PreciousHoneyPreciousHoney Posts: 254Registered Users
    I am currently waiting for my henna to arrive so I can do my first henna. I just wanted to say that along with the links in Khadija's signature you can also go to hennaforhair.com and get good info.

HTH
    Precious Honey :)
    3c with some 3b at the bottom.
    Im lovin HENNA
    Light protein use

Co-wash: Suave Daily Clarifying Co
    Rinse-out: Back to Basics Pom Peach (old bottle) or GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: GVP Condidtioning Balm with heat
    Leave in: Elucence MBC
    Gel: HEBE or Aussie Instant Freeze gel.
    Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Balance
    http://public.fotki.com/Precioushoney/