moisturizer suggestions?

MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Helloooo curly makeup/skincare gurus :) I need help

I used to (as a teen) have oily skin with massive hormonal acne. Over the years, I figured out what worked and what didn't and got it under control. NOW, however, my skin seems to be changing and I don't have a frickin CLUE what to give it to make it happier :/

it seems to be normal to dry now, instead of oily. And my t-zone (particularly my nose) is REALLY dry. I still have acne issues, but much much smaller and more easily managed.

I've tried the Aveeno moisturizers and they seem to work 'ok', but my nose is still really dry (like, can flake dry skin off of it. it's gross) and it even seems like my cheeks are starting to get dry too.

Any ideas? Nothing TOO terribly expensive unless it lasts awhile... I'm still in a very poor part of my 20s :P
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Flakey skin does not necessarily equal dry. You cannot moisturize flakes. You must remove them. Sounds like you need exfoliation rather than moisturization.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah.. totally exfoliate! Then use a good moisturizer!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    see, that's the thing... I DO exfoliate. I started out just doing it once every 3 days or so like most products recomend, and it helps for about the first... eeeh, maybe 3-4 hours. And then it's back.

So I went to exfoliating EVERY day and it's no change :/

I've rotated the St. Ive's apricot scrub, some of Lush's really grainy cleanser/exfoliators like the Herbalism and Angels on bare skin and some of their more gentle ones like Aqua Marina. They all seem to work equally as well. Clears off the dry skin for a few hours, and then it's back :/

Maybe I'm going about the exfoliation wrong/with the wrong products???
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've found that chemical exfoliators (glycolic acids and salicylic acid) work better for me than scrubs. Take it slow with acids -- use them only once or twice a week at first until you know how your skin will react.

Skin Actives makes a great alpha-beta peel product (has both glycolic acid and salicylic acid). It's very gentle and effective, and you use it once a week. Site is www.skinactives.com .

Also, have you tried using a microfiber cloth? That will help with the flakies. Again, go easy. Microfiber feels very soft, but it can irritate if you overuse it. You need just a couple of light swipes across your skin!
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    MimsTX wrote: »
    see, that's the thing... I DO exfoliate. I started out just doing it once every 3 days or so like most products recomend, and it helps for about the first... eeeh, maybe 3-4 hours. And then it's back.

So I went to exfoliating EVERY day and it's no change :/

I've rotated the St. Ive's apricot scrub, some of Lush's really grainy cleanser/exfoliators like the Herbalism and Angels on bare skin and some of their more gentle ones like Aqua Marina. They all seem to work equally as well. Clears off the dry skin for a few hours, and then it's back :/

Maybe I'm going about the exfoliation wrong/with the wrong products???

Those crushed apricot scrubs are so damaging and may be causing the rebound peeling. Acids work better with less damage...but, like alacurl says, take it slow.

I use a lot of exfoliation products and still have to wipe off my flakies each morning with a microfiber cloth.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I have similar skin, it was very oily as a teen but now I'm in my 20s I'm starting to get wrinkles and have definite flaking around my nose and forehead. I recently converted to the OCM. I use 70% castor oil, 30% grape seed oil and a pinch of salt to exfoliate. I massage it in for a couple on minutes then wipe it off with a washcloth and spash my face with water. I don't to it every day twice a day, more like 2-3 times a week and only once a day. My skin is nice and soft and my acne is definitely clearing. HTH.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
    I tried the OCM for awhile, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. Saw some improvement with the dryness, but the pay off was increased acne so it wasn't really worth it ultimately.

I'll be honest, those acids scare the bejesus out of me. Though I had no idea the scrubs were that bad... probably why it's only been getting worse >.<

would an aspirin mask exfoliate enough (it IS salicylic acid, after all...) you think? That's definitely more in my budget, versus the product ala mentioned (looks like it's $5.50 for a single towel??)...
    Aspirin is not salicylic acid. It's acetylsalicylic acid. It's a poor cousin, and it does nothing for acne. Aspirin masks/scrubs are not harmful, but they're not helpful either. It's basically just a waste of aspirin.

I buy microfiber cloths in the automotive section of Target. I get 3 for about $6, then I cut them into 4 inch squares and use each one for a week or two (washing each day) and then throw it away. Microfiber quickly loses its exfoliation ability, but that's OK because they are pretty cheap.
  • TheSunshineStateTheSunshineState Posts: 152Registered Users
    Exfoliating too much can make your flakey problem worse. Only do it once or twice a week and use a soft cloth every day just to rub off any loose flakes.

Since you now only have the occasional break out you only need to use spot treatments, notallover washes etc. Tea Tree oil is fantastic for this.
    If you get hormonal breakouts start using an acne wash one week before your period is sue to try and prevent those.

I have the same issue with my nose beign the driest part. I've found thatapplying a good serum all over my face before my moisturizer helps alot.
    Bah, darn the misinformation I've been fed! Thanks for the info RCW, had no idea. At this point, I'm more concern about the hydration/flaky/general condition of my skin than the acne... what I've got now is SO minimal compared to what I've had that I can totally deal with it. Not going to work myself up over trying to get rid of it completely.... probably a pointless endeavor anyways with the PCOS causing them. If there's one thing I've learned with those, it's that you can't prevent them. All I can do is treat them once they're there... and pray. lol

Sunshine, what kind of serum do you use?
  • TheSunshineStateTheSunshineState Posts: 152Registered Users
    Most drugstore brands now have a serum in their lines. The one I use is from The Body Shop. It's the vitamin E one because it's the most hydrating. I believe Olay has an amazing one, Boots at target has one called 'beauty serum' I think. It's won some awards. Biore has a good night serum.
    Put them on before your moisturizer and give it a couple of minutes to absorbe. They go a layer deeper into the skin than moisturizers do.
  • bfly36bfly36 Posts: 126Registered Users
    I had the same issue last year and tried alot of stuff for my face. After visiting Makeupalley, they suggested Alpha Hydrox Product. They are very inexpensive but work just as good as the expensive Alpha Hydrox Creams. They have a good line for acne prone skin and sensetive skin. This has cured my problem forever. If you go on there site you can order the samples. Start with the 8% and use only at night. If you use them at day, wear an oil free sunscreen.

My cousin from Colombia has me ship them to her internationally because she could not find anything to help her skin, When she used them she was hooked. Using this cream you don't have to exfoliate that often because it renews the skin from the inside out daily. Any questions PM me.
    Low Poo: Mastey Traite, GTTT
    Conditioner: GVP,
    Leave Ins: KCKT, Shescentit LI
    Styling: ISO Bouncy Cream, DOC, HETT, KCCC

Still trying to figure out what hair i have lol!!.

Wanting to try: Darcy's, KBB and Botticelli Botanicals.:laughing6:
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    alacurl wrote: »
    I've found that chemical exfoliators (glycolic acids and salicylic acid) work better for me than scrubs. Take it slow with acids -- use them only once or twice a week at first until you know how your skin will react.

Skin Actives makes a great alpha-beta peel product (has both glycolic acid and salicylic acid). It's very gentle and effective, and you use it once a week. Site is www.skinactives.com .
    ITA with you on the chemical exfoliators. Never heard of skinactives site; is the product you are referring to the towel packets or the 4oz liquid?
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    curls2grow wrote: »
    alacurl wrote: »

ITA with you on the chemical exfoliators. Never heard of skinactives site; is the product you are referring to the towel packets or the 4oz liquid?

I actually bought the 1-oz size ($16.00): www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=182

The towels have the same solution as the liquid. Before they came out with the towels, it was offered only as 1 oz and 4 oz. Then they tried to do away with the 1-oz size, but customers pleaded to bring it back. I guess the 1 oz listing is cryptic on purpose, because they aren't making as much money off that as they are off the towels!

Anyway ... I've used the 1-oz size at least a half-dozen times on my face, and the container is still 2/3 full. So it's very reasonable compared to the towels.

It's a different kind of acid peel because it is oil-based. If you're interested, check out info on the site forum. You don't have to register to read and search posts. There's lots of info on the alpha beta product -- the product developer, Hannah, is the forum moderator. She is a character(!) and rules the forum with an iron fist, but she knows what she's talking about.

One more thing and then I will be quiet :) : the Collagen Serum (Let's Make Collagen Serum) is awesome. $12.50 for 1 oz. -- I'm on my third bottle since starting it in January. I had very visible results in 3 months, particularly on my "11" lines.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the very helpful info, alacurl! I was thinking I'd have to try the single-serve towel to avoid the huge $ commitment on an untried product. I will try for the 1-oz size when I order. I am just concerned because when I went for a facial, she used a glycolic peel on me and it gave me red bumps and peeling skin for about 4 days after my appointment. That said, my skin was very smooth after all of that, but I don't know if the means justifies the end for me.

Do you think the alpha-beta peel is strong, or could it be used on sensitive skin if maybe I keep it on for fewer minutes? Maybe I should ask on the site?
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    curls2grow, at first I was cautious. The first time, I did not apply it to my somewhat sensitive cheeks and I left it on for less than 10 minutes. It tingled a bit (normal reaction), but it wasn't bad at all. I had very little flaking, and no redness or other problems.

Now I use it all over (except eye area) and for longer. ... You could do a patch test to see how your skin would react.

For me, this is not a "strong" peel that gives undesired side effects. It's for home use, so safety and gentleness are priorities, for legal reasons if nothing else, lol.

You could ask about it on the forum, or you could e-mail Hannah. Before I bought anything, I e-mailed her for advice on a basic routine, and she answered the next day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file