Eyeliner help!

Night_OwlNight_Owl Posts: 110Registered Users
I work at a physical job so the only make-up that I wear is mascara, and lately, eyeliner. I've been using a dark grey eyeshadow as a liner across the whole upper lash line.

I have brown/green eyes (a ring of each), pale skin and reddish brown hair. Are there any other colors of liner that would work for me? Should I be lining the whole upper lash line? What about the lower lash line? (I have dark circles under my eyes sometimes and am worried about them looking worse.)

What are some good eyeliners? I need to keep it to drug store/ wal-mart brands since I don't live in a big area.

Any help would be much appreciated!
pWP4LOq.jpgpWP4m7.png

Comments

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    If you need something that stays I recommend using gel or liquid liner (Bobbi Brown Gel Liner or Lancome Artliner) and then topping that with pencil of your choice.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    purples would look lovely on you. whether or not you want to line all the way across is totally personal preference.

i find that the lower lash line smudges way more easily than the upper one, so i'm careful about lining there.

some colours to try:

Bonne Bell Aubergine
    Rimmel Purple Passion
    Revlon Colorstay Blackberry
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, purple/plum would be nice. Also try navy, brown and royal blue (if you're feeling adventurous). Clear greens look great on redheads, but if your eyes are green too, you might not like it.

I'd generally say line the whole way across the top. But I'd have to see the shape of your eyes to better make a rec.

If you're wearing subtler liner colors, you can line the bottom lids too. But I wouldn't do that with royal blue.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^navy blue, though, would work. i use navy instead of royal blue anyway - but that's just because i'm old!

:lol:
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    I agree with the Plums! But I could never use a liquid eyeliner, my hands are way to shaky it is all over the place when I've tried :cheese: lol!

So what I've done is gotten a nice eyeliner brush, found some eye shadow in those quads, where you get 4 different colors in the same palette (sp?), and used the darkest one as my eyeliner.

That way I get a nice thin line and it's much easier for me to control.
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Plums and browns would work for you.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the plums and blue recommendations. Your coloring actually sounds really similar to mine (minus the fact that my hair is flat out red instead of brown/red). My eyes sound exactly like yours.

Liquid liners stay put on me the best... l'oreal has a felt tip liner that's easier to use than regular liquid but i think it just comes in black and brown... might be good to try your hand at it though.

If there's a particular color i want that i have as a shadow but not a liner, I'll get the shadow a little wet and apply it with a liner brush. Works pretty well :)

I usually line my whole upper lash line, and about half of my lower. It opens my eyes up more than way, versus going all the way across on the lower lid.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Try HIP, Rimmel or NYX brands. HIP has a nice blue gel liner.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • TheSunshineStateTheSunshineState Posts: 152Registered Users
    Purples and browns. The only thing is that you have fair skin and the purple can sometimes look too garish in the daytime against fair skin (Personal exp.). It does wonders to intensify your eye colour though.
    I know you wanted drug store brands so the new covergirl eyelights pencil liner is good because it is brown with a hint of purple so it isn't too in your face for the daytime.
    If you get a chance I think the best eyeliners out here are the Bare Escentuals loose eyeliners. They have one called Tigers Eye which is a lovely brown with little gold flecks (doesn't look like glitter) that blend in but are just enough to really make your green eye colour pop.
  • Dwaeji-TokkiDwaeji-Tokki Posts: 172Registered Users
    I would say any purple tones would enhance the color of your eyes. I dont know about blue, cause the way to make green really pop is the color red. Red doesn't look very good on the eyes so the closest color would be purple, cause its mixed with red and blue but the red is the secret of the purple that makes green pop... If that makes any sense. just look for a color wheel.

If you use a purple tone liner then I suggest not applying it to your lower lid because the red pigment eventually seperates from the other pigments and ends up making you look sickly when it starts to smudge.

Try to apply the eyeliner as close to the lash line as possible. Kinda like when you're dying your hair try to get deep into your roots. This will really brighten up the eyes and exstend the lashes(or make it appear exstended);)

hope I helped a little bit
  • Dwaeji-TokkiDwaeji-Tokki Posts: 172Registered Users
    Oh, and I almost forgot! Rimmel sells a really good eyeliner that does not smudge as easly(My oppinion) and it is pretty dern cheap. I don't think it comes in a wide range of colors though just in case you do want to wear your eyes with different colors. I buy mines at walgreens or target.
  • LorloriLorlori Posts: 56Registered Users
    Purples would look so lovely on you. Try those eyeliners from Revlon Colorstay. Cheap and so good. White liner on your waterline would help you look more awake.
  • pe476206pe476206 Posts: 117Registered Users
    You have hazel eyes. I do not put on eyeliner but under your waterline if you take a que tip you will not get too much. It will help keep you from looking like you have too much makeup on. You can use a eyeliner pencil, which is a good way to brighten your eyes and gives a well-rested look. If I have dark circles, I take a concealer, and then take a eye brighter pencil. I like the eye brighten pencil from benefit. It is expensive though. A book that I suggest getting is Carmendy 5 minute face, and she gives tips on makeup. The make up looks amazing, and she is the makeup artist on what not to wear. She has product suggestions in the back of the book, and skin care products that work on every type of skin. She also gives a couple of makeup for weddings, an dates or out with friends makeup looks. Hope this helps
    Fine hair, 3a/3b
    Shampoo: switching from a couple
    Conditioner: Herbal Essences totally twisted conditioner
    Deep conditioner: Aussie 3 minute miracle
    Styling products: pureology real curl, framesi hair treatment line colored treated serum
  • ahger_2311ahger_2311 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Night_Owl wrote: »
    I work at a physical job so the only make-up that I wear is mascara, and lately, eyeliner. I've been using a dark grey eyeshadow as a liner across the whole upper lash line.

I have brown/green eyes (a ring of each), pale skin and reddish brown hair. Are there any other colors of liner that would work for me? Should I be lining the whole upper lash line? What about the lower lash line? (I have dark circles under my eyes sometimes and am worried about them looking worse.)

What are some good eyeliners? I need to keep it to drug store/ wal-mart brands since I don't live in a big area.

Any help would be much appreciated!

hi babe.

for starters, brown, plum & dark green suits u.

for upper lash line, u either line the whole or from the middle to the outer end.

for lower lash line, u can line whole lash line or just the 1/3 towards outer.

if u want ur eyes to look brighter, take a bit of white liner and draw lightly on upper inner lid & lower lid.

i recommend revlon colorstay or urban decay 24/7. the latter is really good for lower lid though.
  • thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Posts: 250Registered Users
    I was also hesitant to use darker colors at first, so I know where you're coming from. I really like gel eyeliner and the color I love is Chocolate Shimmer from Bobbi Brown. It has sparkle in it which I've heard makes the dark less intense. Also, MAC makes a gel liner called Blitz and Glitz which is black but has gold flecks so it doesn't look as intense black.
    The brush you use to apply gel eyeliner is really important. I bought the Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine liner brush but I wouldn't recommend it. It's too big to get a thin line. I'd recommend a brush by Coastal Scents http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/1638/white-angled-liner-brush.cfm. It's really small so you can get a nice precise line.
    I really don't think there's a need to line the lower lash line. If you want to though, you could use a brown eyeshadow. Here's a video that really helped me (I'm pretty new to wearing eyeliner as well :) ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSc9r4tzWyk
    2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
    Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
    Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
    Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file