CurlTalk

Seriously thinking about going gel-free....

Thats all for now:clock:

But I really am. What about just a leave in? I'm thinking aloud here.... My texture has gotten tight enough that I no longer require "hold". SO all I need is to minimize frizz....

What'dya guys think?
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album

Comments

• belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Totally go for it. Did you read the thread about Lorraine Massey. She's practically an all condish curly girl now and rumor is she only uses condish to style. And her hair looks great! I've been thinking about doing this also. My hair seems to look its best when it only has a leave in condish in it.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • *Angela**Angela* Posts: 251Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »
    Totally go for it. Did you read the thread about Lorraine Massey. She's practically an all condish curly girl now and rumor is she only uses condish to style. And her hair looks great! I've been thinking about doing this also. My hair seems to look its best when it only has a leave in condish in it.

I agree. I've been doing both...some days only conditioner other days I'll use gel...depends on what I feel like doing.

If conditioner is enough to give you definition and minimize your frizz I say why not forgo the gel.
    3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I'm gonna try it next time I wash!! I'm excited! I didnt know Lorraine Massey doesnt use her own products?? Strange.... But maybe it makes sense; if I recall her texture mine is fast approaching it....:angry3:
    My Photobucket Album
  • TeresinaTeresina Posts: 291Registered Users
    I'm definitely an amateur here but I say try it! I haven't tried it yet; I keep thinking it's going to look dull and have no shine but Lorraine's hair looks pretty good in that second picture if that's what she's been doing.
    Teresina
    3b/3c/4a coarse, high porosity
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    So how did the mousse experiment go? Was it not "wow"ing enough to make you wanna stick with it?
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    Teresina wrote: »
    I'm definitely an amateur here but I say try it! I haven't tried it yet; I keep thinking it's going to look dull and have no shine but Lorraine's hair looks pretty good in that second picture if that's what she's been doing.

I had this problem and thanks to a suggestion by belasuna I added a bit of jojoba oil to my hair, once it was dry, for shine. Works perfectly.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

goobernut wrote: »
    So how did the mousse experiment go? Was it not "wow"ing enough to make you wanna stick with it?

I got sidetracked:hiding: I have only tried 2 so far - thanks for reminding me! I was waiting for some online stuff to come and when it did I was busy and shoved it in my PJ drawer!

I'm gonna try just a leave in first, out of curiosity. Maybe I will start with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]....:thumbright:
    My Photobucket Album
  • lizzlebelizzlelizzlebelizzle Posts: 287Registered Users
    The other day I knew I wasn't going out so I skipped [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and gel and just left in some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] to see what my hair would look like "naked." When I would run my hand over my hair without looking I got freaked out because it felt like it was one fluffy undefined mass, but when I looked in the mirror I just saw nice soft ringlets. I think it felt messy because I'm used to feeling that slight crunchiness of the gel defining every curl. I don't know if I would do that all the time -- by the end of the day my hair was noticeably messier -- but it definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And it dried a lot faster, too.

I want to try this out again sometime but leave a LOT more conditioner in, maybe using conditioner as a styling product. I wonder how much Lorraine uses.
    The other day I knew I wasn't going out so I skipped [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and gel and just left in some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] to see what my hair would look like "naked." When I would run my hand over my hair without looking I got freaked out because it felt like it was one fluffy undefined mass, but when I looked in the mirror I just saw nice soft ringlets. I think it felt messy because I'm used to feeling that slight crunchiness of the gel defining every curl. I don't know if I would do that all the time -- by the end of the day my hair was noticeably messier -- but it definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And it dried a lot faster, too.

I want to try this out again sometime but leave a LOT more conditioner in, maybe using conditioner as a styling product. I wonder how much Lorraine uses.

When I use conditioner as a styler I use as much as I do when using gel (about 3 to 4 quarter-size puddles for my shoulder length hair).

Do you feel greasy??
    My Photobucket Album
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    Several of us gave up gel last Fall. It was great until the weather got really cold and dry. Got a hair cut and highlight today. I usually style when I get home because it's fairly straight from him combing while cutting. I used leave in before he started and spritzed with the Taliah Waajid Bodifer Mist when I got home--didn't feel like wetting. The volume stayed, it was never that curly.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    That's all I do...I just use leave-in conditioner...it's like a curl cream for me. If I need more hold (like when it's windy outside), then and only then will I use hairspray. Gel does nothing for me but make my hair look awful. Never got it to work well for me. I like curl creams, but I find I don't need them anymore...just a leave-in...that's it.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Do you feel greasy??

Not at all. But I've never had hair that gets oily. Though that might be an issue for those whose scalp tends to produce more oil. And I am using VO5 so that may help considering it is a lighter conditioner.

• angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    Today I just used Abba Pure Gentle LI and FSG. I don't know if you consider FSG as "gel", but I actually liked the result better than if I'd used the BRHG or HESMU over FSG. No crunch and curls were soft and defined. My usual late day frizz is minimal as well. Perhaps the harder hold gels are too much for the colder weather. Why would this be?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been using only conditioner for the past two weeks now and I'm VERY happy with it. I'm a little frizzy by the end of the day but no worse than using gel and my hair feels sooo much better and more moisturized all the time now. I actually have nothing to complain about at this point in time if you can believe that!:thumbright:
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • TexaskurlTexaskurl Posts: 124Registered Users
    Ooooo, I'd be terrified to without BRHG! I do my hair at night, and it helps my curl stay "fixed" while I sleep. Then I just SOTC. I'd be scared that my hair would be a total mess when I woke up.
    fine hair, not sure of porosity.
    Deva Care Lo-Poo
    Rinse-outs: AO GPB, JC
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance (a dime's worth)
    Style cream: KCCC, CJ CCCC-lite, & BRHG
    Protein Treatment: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
    DT: SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix

Holy Grails: AO GPB, SS Repairing Protein Treatment, KCCC, & BRHG
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    I go without gel alot these days. I get a much looser wave pattern with only leave-in but sometimes I just don't want to mess all the styling. I always have less frizz with condish only styling too...just not the volume I want.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Um. No. Never.

Does not work for my hair, lol.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    I tried the conditioner only one time and my hair felt greasy and producty.....maybe it was the conditioner I used. I'm tempted to try it with a different conditioners to see if it makes a difference....hmmm
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • mlle_carriemlle_carrie Posts: 79Registered Users
    I have gone without gel a few times when I ran out of FSG and just didn't have time to make any. I just added a little extra leave in and styled my hair the way I normally do. It turned out fine, maybe not as defined as I would normally like, but I didn't notice that huge of a difference.

I go without gel alot these days. I get a much looser wave pattern with only leave-in but sometimes I just don't want to mess all the styling. I always have less frizz with condish only styling too...just not the volume I want.
    Music to my overly textured ears!!
    Um. No. Never.

Does not work for my hair, lol.
    lol. Ah but you are truly unique anyway!
    curlykey wrote: »
    I tried the conditioner only one time and my hair felt greasy and producty.....maybe it was the conditioner I used. I'm tempted to try it with a different conditioners to see if it makes a difference....hmmm

Makes sense.

Can't wait to try this now!
    My Photobucket Album
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I can do if if I want one day hair. It's floofier, but still ok. I just can't get second and third day hair without a good holding styler, and darn it, I like having multi-day hair, lol.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,094Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i more and more frequently am just keeping conditioner in as a leave in, nothing else. i feel it brings my hair more to where it's natural state is, and since i am in the process of growing in my white hair, it looks best that way. there are days when i've dried it too much with the curl ease and need a little gel -- i have found that i can rub some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]deva angell[/buylink] between my hands and scrunch it in my dry hair, and that is just the right amount.
    the key for me when i use only conditioner leave in, no products, is to only blot a little of my hair, leave it just after the dripping point.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    tinah wrote: »
    I've been using only conditioner for the past two weeks now and I'm VERY happy with it. I'm a little frizzy by the end of the day but no worse than using gel and my hair feels sooo much better and more moisturized all the time now. I actually have nothing to complain about at this point in time if you can believe that!:thumbright:
    :shock: tinah I just fainted.....:lol:

Wish I could do it but I turn into total Poof without stylers. I sure do envy you conditioner styler people.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I haven't used gel in almost a year.

Rudee, this might encourage you! I used to use it when I first went CG and I had straight hair all over my head, and the first 4 inches or so were curly. Well they were a) damaged curls and b) weighed down so I needed gel for hold.

Now, I get amazing definition with just conditioner. But I suspect my hair can tolerate much more copious amounts of it than yours, as I'm very prone to dryness. But I hardly need any hold. If I want to be extra careful, because I'm going out or doing pictures, etc. - I add a tiny dab of honey to my leave-in, or sometimes I'll use a little AOMM (really I'm just trying to use this up).

Yay for condish only! Plus it really cuts down on the PJ stash (although I still like to try curl creams sometimes, even though I really could have satisfactory hair without them).

Is jojoba oil the only oil that can give shine to dry hair without greasiness?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    I haven't used gel in almost a year.

Rudee, this might encourage you! I used to use it when I first went CG and I had straight hair all over my head, and the first 4 inches or so were curly. Well they were a) damaged curls and b) weighed down so I needed gel for hold.

Now, I get amazing definition with just conditioner. But I suspect my hair can tolerate much more copious amounts of it than yours, as I'm very prone to dryness. But I hardly need any hold. If I want to be extra careful, because I'm going out or doing pictures, etc. - I add a tiny dab of honey to my leave-in, or sometimes I'll use a little AOMM (really I'm just trying to use this up).

Yay for condish only! Plus it really cuts down on the PJ stash (although I still like to try curl creams sometimes, even though I really could have satisfactory hair without them).

Is jojoba oil the only oil that can give shine to dry hair without greasiness?
    Thanks. The tip about the honey makes sense as well!
    My Photobucket Album
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    I tried using condish as a styler, and it looked great, until I went outside. I found out that if there's even the SLIGHTEST bit of wind, conditioner only just won't do. So I found mousse to be a great happy medium. I get definition, no frizz, and it holds up in the weather. (not summer)
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    This past weekend I used a little leave-in (GDLI) along with Biotera Curl Cream. At first I thought, wow, this is going to work. After it dried, I felt my hair and it felt soft and very light. So, I went to check it out in the mirror. OMG! :goofy: Complete frizz and no curl definition. This is the 3rd time I've tried using a curl cream with disastrous results. :sad11: In the trash it went. I'm going to just try the leave-in this weekend and see what happens. I won't hold my breath though.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
  • sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    I think I may try this tomorrow. Maybe a leave-in with seamollient over it for a little bit of hold... hmmm :goofy:
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • peaches1975peaches1975 Posts: 211Registered Users

Same thing for me!
    2aFii, low porosity, :love4: protein!
    Color treated (blonde, but darned grays!)
    COwash: Suave, V05, Salon Care Honey Almond
    CO: GVPCB, LVNPG, GFTN, HSH Pumpkin, Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    DTs: Lustrasilk SM, GVPCB
    PTs: Aphogee 2-step, ION Effective Care inbetween
    LIs/Stylers: Any of my COs, FSG, EcoStyler Krystal, LOOC, shea butter to SOTC

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeaches1975%2F" class="Popup