My Skin is under attack!!! Help - tried everything

RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
I have battled with my skin breaking out since I became pregnant 6 years ago. I am almost 30 years young and my skin is worse than ever. I have terrible and painful cystic acne all along my jaw line and small raised little red bumps all over my forehead with a few blemishes sprinkled in between. The problem is that my skin is so dry and red and sensitive. Every time I try to wash it with something and put moisturizer on it just burns afterwards. My skin looks best when I first wake up in the morning and continues to go down hill from there all day.
I can't use traditional acne treatments because my skin is dry and it burns to apply them. Even my cystic acne flakes after reaching the surface.

I have tried - castile soap washes, Murad, Dr. Wexler acne regime, Neutrogena, Purpose, Ceftzil, Organic C, Oil Cleansing Method, not washing, water washing, and just about every other otc brand or organic brand you can buy at Target or Walgreens.

It seems that some of these things will "appear" to be clearing my skin up initially but then it gets overly dry. Just like having the right balance for my curls I now am struggling with my face :help:. Not only does it look bad but it physically hurts :crybaby:

3b/c mix; mixture of fine, med. and coarse texture with med-high porosity

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
:rolleyes:

http://public.fotki.com/crazycurlz21/
password:rupert

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried CereVe hydrating cleanser? It's readily available in drugstores and some food stores and is very mild and non-comedogenic. I would also suggest that you see a dermatologist ASAP. Good luck!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have tried - castile soap washes, Murad, Dr. Wexler acne regime, Neutrogena, Purpose, Ceftzil, Organic C, Oil Cleansing Method, not washing, water washing, and just about every other otc brand or organic brand you can buy at Target or Walgreens.

All that stuff you have tried is damaging to the skin barrier (well, except for the OCM...and that's just a pore clogger for acne-prone people). When your skin barrier is damaged, acne-causing bacteria can get in and cause inflammation of clogged pores. Just healing the skin barrier can help immensely. However, most people who are acne-prone also have pores that are unable to clear themselves properly. I'll give you a sample regimen to help heal your skin barrier (which can take up to 3 months) and exfoliate your pores...it might help you, but there are no guarantees.

For a cleanser, you want to avoid all detergents (they harm the skin barrier), all hard soaps (too high pH, also harms skin barrier, and very drying), and most castile soaps. PSFskincare.com makes a Gentle Castile Cleanser that has citric acid added to it to give it a proper pH balance that won't harm the skin barrier. They also make good quality salicylic acids to help with exfoliation. For moisture, they have a lovely Hyaluronic Acid (which is a humescent ingredient in many commerical moisturizers). Using HA alone may be enough, but if you're still dry, then you can mix a few drops of emu oil or jojoba with a little blob of HA in the palm of your hand and apply. The HA helps the emu/jojoba to absorb. Most commerical moisturizers have a lot of junk ingredients, including detergents, that harm the skin. You can find jojoba in most healthfood stores, many of which also carry emu oil. Emu oil can vary greatly in quality though. LBProcessors makes the very best emu.

AM
    Cleanse with PSF Gentle Castile
    apply 5% salicylic acid - wait 30 minutes
    HA (with or without emu/jojoba) for moisturizing - only if needed
    makeup and/or sun protection

PM
    Cleans with PSF Gentle Castile
    5% salicylic acid - wait 30 minutes
    benzoyl peroxide to breakout areas - optional
    HA (with our without emu/jojoba)

You may also want to see a doctor to discuss antibiotics, topical treatments (like Retin-A or other retinoids), and Accutane.
  • RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
    Thanks for your responses.
    RCW - should I only apply the SA to the parts of my face that have acne troubles or should I apply it to my checks which are overly dry also? I often have flaking skin there.
    Also is it true/necessary to change your pillow cases like every 3-4 days? I've heard this but rarely remember to do it.

Thanks for your advice

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For really sensitive skin with acne, I would go with Sage Skin Care.

Write them an email telling them what's going on with your skin. You could just use your posting from here. They will advise you on how best to proceed, and work with you to customize your products to prevent irritation and clear up your skin.

Lots of people like the PSF Castile, so I really don't want to knock it. But I wanted to mention that it made my skin very dry and sort of cracked looking. It was very odd because I don't have dry or sensitive skin to begin with. But if your skin is already sensitive and easily dried out, I would be cautious with that product. At the very least, start by getting a small sample. I committed to a whole bottle and ended up using it to clean my Clarisonic brush head and as a body wash.

GL!
    wild~hair wrote: »

Write them an email telling them what's going on with your skin. You could just use your posting from here. They will advise you on how best to proceed, and work with you to customize your products to prevent irritation and clear up your skin.

Lots of people like the PSF Castile, so I really don't want to knock it. But I wanted to mention that it made my skin very dry and sort of cracked looking. It was very odd because I don't have dry or sensitive skin to begin with. But if your skin is already sensitive and easily dried out, I would be cautious with that product. At the very least, start by getting a small sample. I committed to a whole bottle and ended up using it to clean my Clarisonic brush head and as a body wash.

GL!

I had the same problem with the PSF Castile in the winter....
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »
    wild~hair wrote: »

GL!

I had the same problem with the PSF Castile in the winter....

Thanks for the input - were you both using it with the Hyaluronic Acid recommended and with an oil like jojoba or emu? I think will have to incorporate one of the oils in the winter especially. It is very dry in Minnesota.

I was using it with the HA and jojoba oil - I liked those. I just had found the PSF Castile to be drying in the winter. I know PSF also makes Green Tea Cleansing Milk which is for dry skin. I have never tried it, though.

• alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    I second the idea of considering (under a doctor's care) a retinol product or Retin A. I could not believe how much cleaner and smaller-looking my pores are with a 0.5 percent retinol lotion! I believe it would help curb pimples, if I had them. I will be "stepping up" to 1 percent retinol soon and can't wait to see the results.

PSF castile cleanser also is too drying for me during cold weather, but fine when it's warm. I would look for something else for wintertime. Look at products on vitacost.com or iherb.com -- both sites have lots of gentle cleansers. Even if you prefer to shop locally, you'll get some ideas from those sites.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the input - were you both using it with the Hyaluronic Acid recommended and with an oil like jojoba or emu? I think will have to incorporate one of the oils in the winter especially. It is very dry in Minnesota.

I'm in Minnesota too. :)

I didn't use the emu or jojoba oil, but I did use the Hyaluronic Acid with it. I already had a really intense moisturizer from Sage Skin Care that I used as needed.
  • bfly36bfly36 Posts: 126Registered Users
    Have you gone to acne.org, Dan has a great regimen that helped my son and you don't have to buy expensive products at all.

Also, if you have jojoba oil (don't be scared it is not an oil it''s a wax and it resembles the natural oils of your skin). Do an experiment like i did with my 15 year old son. At night take a small amount a drop or two and rub in on a few pimples, check in the morning to see if it has made any difference. When i tried it on him it reduced the pimples by the next day dramatically.

Sorry you have to deal with this :( , If yo have insurance there are some hormone tests you may be able to do. You can find a Doctor that does them, after women give birth some of them have problems with hormones and it can cause the breakouts.
    Low Poo: Mastey Traite, GTTT
    Conditioner: GVP,
    Leave Ins: KCKT, Shescentit LI
    Styling: ISO Bouncy Cream, DOC, HETT, KCCC

Still trying to figure out what hair i have lol!!.

Wanting to try: Darcy's, KBB and Botticelli Botanicals.:laughing6:
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    RCW you always give the best skin care advice. I escpecially liked the info that you mentioned about the hard soaps being to high in PH. My sisters skin was darned near perfect before she started using this dead sea mud soap. When she send an email to the company inquiring about the ph level, they never responded. (As if they would).

My sister did order the liquid soap you mentioned earlier. I told her to do a search and read previous post about skin care.

I for one appreciate you info..and when my sisters skin clears up, i am sure she will as well.
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    RCW you always give the best skin care advice. I escpecially liked the info that you mentioned about the hard soaps being to high in PH. My sisters skin was darned near perfect before she started using this dead sea mud soap. When she send an email to the company inquiring about the ph level, they never responded. (As if they would).

My sister did order the liquid soap you mentioned earlier. I told her to do a search and read previous post about skin care.

I for one appreciate you info..and when my sisters skin clears up, i am sure she will as well.
    Well I just received the products I ordered from PSF. I can't wait to see if they work.
    I also went in to get my eyebrows waxed at a new salon by my house and saw the estichian (sp?). She zapped some of my cystic acne and pimples with some high frequency thing. it made my skin feel really smooth afterward but now Some of the cysts have come to the surface. I guess that could be a good thing. Has anyone ever had a facial/had something like this used?
    I'm considering going back for a full facial which would include extraction (sounds painful) and other stuff. Thoughts?

• curlycuedcurlycued Posts: 17Registered Users
    I have gotten a full facial with extraction. It is very painful, first they zap the skin just like you have already received, it feels like needles brushing over the skin and that opens the pores, then they squeeze out your pores. I have lots of black heads and I was disappointed that they were mostly all still there afterwards, I was hoping for a more thorough cleansing, but my skin did feel good. After an extraction you tend to break out more because all the gunk is brought to the surface, but the thing with extractions is you have to get them frequently, it's not just once and done. If you have the resources to get multiple extractions, go for it. It is painful, it hurt more than my bikini wax, but it's definitely not unbearable.
  • azianeyesazianeyes Posts: 5Registered Users
    I battled with break out skin constantly from the age of 13 to 23. The only thing that has drastically changed and altered my complexion was switching my birth control medication from OrthroTricylen to Yasmin. My doctor didnt think it would help but I researched the different hormones that Yasmin contains and the studied up on them and knew it would help. And IT DID!:blob7: Within 4 months my breakouts decreased 80%. I believe i have an hormonal imbalance but doctors wont give me any hormones until after I have children. I still have occasional breakouts but no where as bad as they used to be. The best thing to do is go see your doctor or find a doctor that specializes in hormonal imbalance (I cant remember the name) and ask him/her to run some tests and determine if it is a hormonal imbalance.
  • LatifahLatifah Posts: 9Registered Users
    What it sounds like to me you need is something with little to no acidity in it but is still moisturizing to your skin. You want to check anything that you get for how much salicyctic acid it has in it as this can be very drying and irritating to the skin

Avon has a skin care line Solutions that may be able to help you. It's a line that is targeted for specific needs.

you can visit (link removed by moderator) and take a look through the Avon Solutions line...they have cleansers and creams that also are very moisturizing.

I have an open chat and am usually online for 12 hours or more and would be happy to chat with you and look into something that could help you.

Also, I'd be happy to give you a 10% discount on any order that you place.

Latifah
    I have battled with my skin breaking out since I became pregnant 6 years ago. I am almost 30 years young and my skin is worse than ever. I have terrible and painful cystic acne all along my jaw line and small raised little red bumps all over my forehead with a few blemishes sprinkled in between. The problem is that my skin is so dry and red and sensitive. Every time I try to wash it with something and put moisturizer on it just burns afterwards. My skin looks best when I first wake up in the morning and continues to go down hill from there all day.
    I can't use traditional acne treatments because my skin is dry and it burns to apply them. Even my cystic acne flakes after reaching the surface.

It seems that some of these things will "appear" to be clearing my skin up initially but then it gets overly dry. Just like having the right balance for my curls I now am struggling with my face :help:. Not only does it look bad but it physically hurts :crybaby:
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just about everyone here disagrees with me, but I love plain old fashioned Noxzema. It's just about the only thing I can use these days that DOESN'T make me break out.

I have always had sensitive skin, but when I was younger, my skin was more resilient and able to handle 'acne free formulas'. After I had kids my skin went crazy and wouldn't respond to anything.

Even my usuals were making me an absolute mess. Neutrogena glycerin made it a mess, I'd used Cetaphil for years and it started causing deep cystic acne, salicylic acid made me break out, ProActiv worked, but it didn't do much for the pores around my nose.

Noxzema skin cream makes my face totally and completely clear. I get almost no breakouts, and my skin is always moisturized. A few weeks ago I switched to an exfoliating Noxzema cause I thought maybe I needed it, and now my face looks like one big greasy broken out mess. You think I would learn since anytime I have changed face washes over the past 2 years that has happend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Total guano: Iroc, did you know there's an iroc smiley?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Total guano: Iroc, did you know there's an iroc smiley?

I think I did. Funny. I should probably use it more often. Or in my signature. Hmm, do I have the motivation to do that now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file