CurlTalk

Do You Part Your Hair or Not When You Style It?

Do most of you put a part in your hair when you style it? Or do you just let it fall naturally anywhere it wants to? I complained to my hairstylist that the top of my hair always seems flat and the sides look too heavy. He did give me a good cut to lessen that problem, but he suggested that I no longer put a definite part in my hair. I should just let it fall naturally and then scrunch the product in away from the roots.

I thought that if I did that my hair would look messy and would look different every day. So I'm sticking with putting in a definite part on the side and then applying the product in sections away from the roots.

So, do most of you part your hair when you style it? Or do you do something different?
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Comments

• TeresinaTeresina Posts: 291Registered Users
    I don't make a "definite" part in my hair but I do place pieces where I want them rather than letting them fall where they want. I agree; I think my hair would look messy if I just let it fall how it wants instead of clipping it where I want it.
    Teresina
    3b/3c/4a coarse, high porosity
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    I don't part my hair, it just falls on either side, making a (slightly crooked) middle part, on its own
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    I try to make a part. My husband hates when my hiar goes down the middle. Hate it;)
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    I don't really part my hair either, it's just kinda trained to go to one side, and if there are pieces that I want to move I just do that.
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    I try to make a part. My husband hates when my hiar goes down the middle. Hate it;)

Totally agree wavy wonder! Unless you have a close to perfectly symmetrical face, middle parts really aren't that flattering, imo!
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just move pieces around here and there to get it where I want to but I don't have a definite part. It's very crooked but I really like the way it looks.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't like a perfectly straight part and like hair that looks slightly messy so I mostly let my hair do it's thing. If it gets too crazy I will move bits around.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • CopaseticCopasetic Posts: 222Registered Users
    I don't usually part my hair. But even when I don't, a part forms from years and years of parting it.
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    I don't make a part either. It just seems to fall into the same place all the time.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Posts: 260Registered Users
    I don't part my hair. It just does it's own thing and in different places all the time. If I parted my hair, it would lose root volume.
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    Yes, I part it. Usually where my right side gets most of the hair. Sometimes I part it the other way or in the middle for a change. I have let it fall where it likes and that works okay too...I just like the look of parted hair on me better. I think it's a "to each her own" kind of thing. Do what you think looks best for you.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    My hair basically parts itself. I have to actively work to make it do anything different and still look neat.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I do a side part with a comb. I really think my hair would look better with a messy "fall where it will" part but it won't co-operate and I just can't seem to not part!
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurlFaceCurlFace Posts: 176Registered Users
    I part my hair in the middle. If I part it on the side, my face looks rounder, and I don't like that. When my hair was really short, I would just let it fall wherever it wanted (usually still towards the middle but not perfect, of course). Now that it's longer, I have to part it, or it's way too messy.
    Type: 3a - type 1 on the underside. Thinning.
    :glasses11:
    Currently using:
    -Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo (occasionally)
    -Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner
    -Suave Waterfall Mist Conditioner or Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific as leave-in
    -A mix of Shique Gel and HE Totally Twisted mousse
    -FX Curls Up Mousse, on occasion

• CurlyFlixCurlyFlix Posts: 58Registered Users
    I've put my hair in a side parting for a few years now, so that whenever I style it, it just seems to fall into the same place, but slightly more crooked than it would be if I combed it.

I don't mind though - my curly hair doesn't look silly if it's all over the place, sometimes it looks better.
    [FONT=&quot]Hair type:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 3a/3b, 'tanned blonde', fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity, fine texture, naturally curly hair.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Conditioner:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Pure Coconut Oil Conditioner worked in, left for several minutes, washed out, second gentler application, left in for 3 minutes, washed out.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Styling:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Boots Essentials Curl Creme or Styling Mousse for Curls[/FONT]

event.png

• mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users
    I part my hair. It tends to part in the middle naturally, and I don't really like the way it looks.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
    Here's my part today. Not much of a part really.

hair.jpg
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    That looks cool! I wish my hair would do that. Do you make it do that, or does it just fall that way? It's awesome. It almost looks "woven", if that makes any sense.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    My hair naturally wants to part on the right side or in the middle. When I flip it up after scrunching in gel, I let it fall naturally and then use tiny jaw clips where the natural part is to give my roots lift. Works great. I find that when I actually put in a part, my hair tends to be flat even if I use the jaw clips.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    I part. My haircut is designed around a low side part with long wavy bangs swooping in the front. Also my hair is so much less curly on top that it just makes more sense that way.
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Ftheevolutionofcurl%2F" class="Popup
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I loosely comb my hair straight back and scrunch to put big waves where the roots are. It sort of stays back on some days and loosely parts itself on others. I tried making a part when I style it, but my top is too flat then.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    That looks cool! I wish my hair would do that. Do you make it do that, or does it just fall that way? It's awesome. It almost looks "woven", if that makes any sense.

I plop and clip then let it fall however it wants when it's partially dry. It looks like this most of the time tho sometimes it wanders off to one side or the other. I don't argue with it. : )
    By the way, I notice you're growing out your gray. I am too! No coloring since August! It's nice to see another transitioning curlie! :o)
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    By the way, I notice you're growing out your gray. I am too! No coloring since August! It's nice to see another transitioning curlie! :o)

Yep, started going grey aboutr 5 years ago and decided I didn't want to invest the time, money, and effort to coloring so I just let it do it's thing. For me that was the best decision ever. Love my hair. And I've never gotten so many compliments in my life. Good luck with your transition!

Today my hair decided to part itself more to the side than usual. Darn indecisive hair. : )
    I love the contrast of your silver over the dark. It's like a waterfall! Or white spilled paint running down in drips. Cool!
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    I love the contrast of your silver over the dark. It's like a waterfall! Or white spilled paint running down in drips. Cool!

A waterfall! I love that description. Thank you!
  • krm0789krm0789 Posts: 34Registered Users
    If I don't part it, it'll make its own zig-zaggy mess of a part, so I do part it. After a while I notice that the roots will start to look really lifeless & my hair will start to droop, so I'll move the part over a teeny tiny bit & voila
  • peyrouxpeyroux Posts: 174Registered Users
    I part to the side. My hair is pretty flat on the top, and not curly, so it just looks messy without a part.
    2b, high porosity, medium texture
    CG since 11/20/09

Current routine:

low poo: GTTTT
    rinse out: Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily
    leave-in: GVP Conditioning Balm or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    stylers: Proclaim Curl Activator Gel, Proclaim Crystal Ice Protein Gel or Ecostyler Krystal Gel
  • JufrohJufroh Posts: 56Registered Users
    x
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I always encourage a side part, but I really don't like the look of a defined, perfectly straight line (at least with relatively tight curly hair). So no comb, just move a few curls when it's damp (not wet, and NOT dry or it would just laugh at me and move right back).
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)