Coffee hair rinse...

Has anyone tried this to darken/ add shine to hair? If so please share how you did it and what results you got.
TIA!
3c/4a
I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png

Comments

• MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    I've done this a few times. I usually mix 3/4 cup of cold coffee with a generous palm full of conditioner (usually vanilla suave) then I add coffee grounds or unsweeten chocolate powered (I prefer the chocolate powder, because it mixes better) until the mixture is thick enough to use a DT.

I wet my hair in the shower, usually low-pooing, and when I get out of the shower, rub the mixture on sections of hair, then twisting those sections. I then pile up all my hair onto my head usually wrapping in a shower cap, then pulling a head scarf on it. I wear it over night and rinse it out.
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    Thanks for that method! I had only seen it as a rinse. (use the cold coffee to rinse hair over and over again) How does this work for you? What results have you gotten with it?
    3c/4a

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
    It's definately faster than using a rinse. While with a rinse it took me almost a month to see any change. I did a Coffee DT everyday for a week (only low pooing on the first day), and my hair darkened by about a shade http://www.headkandy.com/documents/colour.html
    On this, I went from a Hot Toffee to a Melted Chocolate. I'm sure if I'd continued I'd gotten something darker. After the week, it held up with a once a week DT, usually on Saturday night. But I've gone as far as two weeks without loosing the stain.

Also, I heard brewing sage leaves and using that as a rinse makes a dark brown dye.

Soon, I'm going rinsing my hair dark brown again, and see if I can give myself red highlights with red chai tea DT, which I've used to bring out my red tones.
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    MysticSpiral- I've thought about doing rinses but I like your idea better. I've also heard that black tea is good for coloring but I can't remember what it does have you ever tried it?
    I've used brewed tea with cinnamon powdered for my 'summer' blend. I use honey and lemon to give myself blondish highlights and the cinnamon tea mixutre to make my brown hair a little lighter. It doesn't stain as deeply as the coffee, but if you make a stronger brew (I only let my tea steep until it's a light brow) it would probably work, especially if you used a darker hued spice.
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    I've used brewed tea with cinnamon powdered for my 'summer' blend. I use honey and lemon to give myself blondish highlights and the cinnamon tea mixutre to make my brown hair a little lighter. It doesn't stain as deeply as the coffee, but if you make a stronger brew (I only let my tea steep until it's a light brow) it would probably work, especially if you used a darker hued spice.

I just wanted to reiterate that this cinnamom tea mixture is to lighten hair, not darken it. If you want to darken your hair with tea you should avoid adding the cinnamon as cinnamon is a known hair lightener.

Coffee with lightly stain the hair a dark brown and also add shine because it is acidic. The richer you brew the coffee, the deeper the stain.

If you are going to add cocoa powder o your mixture avoid hersheys as it has been neutralized with added alkalis. This can damage your hair.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Yay! I'm definitely doing this tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes. How about moisture? How does your hair feel after you do this?
    3c/4a

event.png

event.png
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »

I just wanted to reiterate that this cinnamom tea mixture is to lighten hair, not darken it. If you want to darken your hair with tea you should avoid adding the cinnamon as cinnamon is a known hair lightener.

Coffee with lightly stain the hair a dark brown and also add shine because it is acidic. The richer you brew the coffee, the deeper the stain.

If you are going to add cocoa powder o your mixture avoid hersheys as it has been neutralized with added alkalis. This can damage your hair.

Good to know Thanks!
  • ricitos de ororicitos de oro Posts: 11Registered Users
    I have been wanting to try a coffee dye as well. I heard that it makes your hair soft and shiny. I tried just doing a small section of mine two times (with the rinse method) and it did not do anything as far as color goes. It did seem quite shiny. I am going to try again this weekend with the overnight method. Only a small section because I'm blonde-ish so I wouldn't want any big surprises if I did my whole head. :)
    Let me know how it goes. I don't want it so much for color, I really only have lighter hair on my ends because I haven't dyed in a long time. I do need some extra shine though, so keep me updated.
    3c/4a

event.png

event.png
  • curlycanadiangirlcurlycanadiangirl Posts: 4Registered Users
    Will using honey and/or lemon lighten hair that's been dyed?

I have naturally golden blonde hair, but have been dying it a dark espresso brown for about a year. I want to return to more my natural colour, but really don't want to spend huge $$$ by getting gradual highlights in a salon every couple months. (plus my hair is already processed and dry enough!! I want to go natural CG!)
  • ricitos de ororicitos de oro Posts: 11Registered Users
    My overnight test strand did nothing. I think my paste was too grainy though, it felt like I put a few drops of conditioner into a handful of coffee grounds and tried to stick it in my hair.. Yuck. It was still shiny but my curl seems much looser in that section now... it will probably bounce back in a few days. ...and the smell - not very pleasant, coffee with free me freesia V05.. I think I'll go get some vanilla mint so I can at least smell like a latte. I might try to modify the paste and just do my whole head, seeing as it did not have much of any affect on my color. I don't think anything I do at this point would be really drastic.
    I tried it. Aussie moist mixed with coffee and coffee grounds. The paste was a nice consistency, but I had a terribly hard time getting the coffee grounds out. I didn't really see a difference in color but it was shiny. I only left it in 2 hours and I have not repeated it, so that might be why I have no color change. It was really shiny after. I don't think I'll be repeating, too much trouble. Maybe I will do it just as a rinse though.
    3c/4a

event.png

event.png
  • Italian CurlsItalian Curls Posts: 77Registered Users
    I mixed some leftover Pantene (blechh) with 3/4cup of cold coffee and a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa and let it sit in my hair for about 3 hours. Just after three hours I saw a beautiful difference! Not necessarily in hair color (it did seem a tad darker, but my hair is already dark!) My hair is SUPER soft and shiny! Shiny is something I have never gotten, not even with henna, so it was a major surprise. I also got really great frizz control.

The down side? I'm on my third day with it and my hair STILL smells like coffee!Gross! It was also slightly nauseating to work with, it reminded me of puke :(

Oh well, I can look past it! I will definately be using again!
    Curl type- 3a, medium texture, high porosity
    Co-wash- Suave Naturals Coconut
    Conditioner- BedHead Moisture Maniac/ Burt's Bees More Moisture (trying to find something better)
    Style- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Honey (sometimes)
    Deep Conditioner-Burts Bees
    Methods- Icequeen, Plopping (overnight & straight after shower)

Trying to grow out hair for Locks of Love!
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For those who have done this, how long does your hair stay shiny? Just until the next wash? And also, (sorry if this is a "dumb" question) does it matter if the coffee is decaf?
    comic-p.jpg
  • OnduleeOndulee Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to make my own Colour Pak:

1/2 cup triple strength black coffee(cold liquid)
    3 tbsp non-alkanized cocoa powder
    1/2 cup leave in conditioner

mix and pack on after doing Spritz&Condish: leave overnight under a shower cap....rinse
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Ondulee, let me know how this works, I'm intrigued after all these posts! If I tried this I probably wouldn't use coffee grounds, because I feel like the grains would do nothing besides sit on my hair and be a pain in the butt to remove.... Let us know!
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
    delete
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    I really want to hear more about this. The sun really bleaches my hair in the summer and it stays an odd brassy color for most of the winter. I want a true deep rich chocolate brown without dye. I'd be happy with a shade darker. I wonder what would happen in you just put cocoa powder in everyhing you leave on your hair...like rinse outs and leave ins and DTs
    http://www.dormroomcurly.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/dormroomcurly

Fine/thin 2c/3a, Low-Medium Porosity, Dry!
    delete

• Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Curl Neophyte Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have naturally jet black hair I would love to have nice auburn or reddish highlight. I do have a few natural sporadic strands of red hair. Would I be able to achieve a dark auburn with the cinnamon? PS I am a henna addict that has slowly started to kick the habit.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    Ondulee ..... any results?
    I discovered a thing of cocoa powder in my pantry the other day and thought about this thread....

• remelebremeleb Posts: 2Registered Users
    I'm getting more and more grey hairs. I don't want to use dye because I've heard it's pretty toxic, but this sounds interesting.
    I haven't actually got around to trying this yet but it's definitely still on the to-do list.

• 85MR285MR2 Posts: 226Registered Users
    I added a half shot of espresso to my regular weekly homemade DT today. (One egg yolk, 2 rounded tablespoons Nancy's honey yogurt, and a squirt of olive oil) Once I worked it through my hair I drizzled the rest of the shot over my hair and combed through. Then, I wrapped with plastic and left on for an hour like usual. The DT always works great, but this time it was left even softer and shinier, and I'm pretty sure it's just a touch darker. My blond highlight I'm growing out seems less brassy anyhow. I think over time it might even darken me a shade. I'm gonna keep using it in my weekly DT's so we will see.
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • Rhonda FRhonda F Posts: 23Registered Users
    wow.. very interesting! Thanks 85MR2 for the heads-up! I'm very interested to see if this will brown up my old highlights and help cammophlage some dark roots.(errr I cant spell huh?) I've got to go dig thru the pantry and see if I still have some expresso mix. I wonder if you could run your regular coffee twice and make it strong enuff??? Just thinking... any body try it?
    Rhonda
    Curly in Houston, TX. - Joined 5/2010. 3B fine - allergic to Sodium Laurel Sulf.
  • NeemsNeems Posts: 88Registered Users
    I tried it last night.
    Mix recipe is 1.5 tablespoons and 3 black tea bags.
    I can't really see a difference in color but it does appear to have more sheen. I thought I strained all the dregs out but to my surprise some go away and it took awhile to rinse out.

~iherb.com Coupon Code: EMA790

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com
  • BrosiaaaBrosiaaa Posts: 18Registered Users
    I am going to try this one week, I've been trying to get rid of the light shade in the front of my hair for months now! It's really annoying me! I miss my jet black hair lol
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    Brosiaaa wrote: »
    I am going to try this one week, I've been trying to get rid of the light shade in the front of my hair for months now! It's really annoying me! I miss my jet black hair lol

(Brosiaaa your website is great! Love your stuff.)
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Rhonda FRhonda F Posts: 23Registered Users
    the 1st time I did this.. I rinsed with coffee.. that was fine. trying to sit with it on my head and not running down my face... wasnt as fun. It did tint it... and I've been trying to go a few days between cowashes.

Toay my hair seems oily... contimplating some grinds in conditioner. Thinking the thickerness (ha) of the conditioner might help it Stick.

Rhonda
    Curly in Houston, TX. - Joined 5/2010. 3B fine - allergic to Sodium Laurel Sulf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file