CurlTalk

Soaking the flax...

janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
On British Curlies we've been talking about soaking flax seeds overnight before making our FSG to see if it makes any difference to our gel. One thought is whether it thickens it.

This was after we'd looked at a recipe for making horse feed from the seeds and using the oil on my garden furniture :)

Has anyone else soaked their seeds, and what happened?

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.britishcurlies.co.uk%2Fcurl_forum%2Fviewthread%2F304%2FP45%2F" class="Popup
Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk

Comments

• mushroom_headmushroom_head Posts: 118Registered Users
    I soaked the flax seeds and some dried lavender for about three hours, then proceeded to make the gel as usual. The hot liquid didn't seem any more thick, but did after cooling. The finished texture is like jello before it completely sets. It is easier to apply without dripping, so I'll do it again. It just takes a little pre-planning. Thanks for the idea!!
    Coarse, thiiiick, porous, drrrry, 2c, dislikes proteins, likes ACV!
    Suave or V05 for co-wash, Garnier Nutrise triple nutrition and sleek & shine, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, FSG and LA Looks sports gel.
  • janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    Yes, I got thicker gel and also a much higher yield. I used 4 tablespoons of seeds in 1 & 3/4 pints (UK pints) of water and got a pint and a quarter of very thick gel.

Happy!
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    Very interesting..............I've thought about this and was going to try it next time I make some flax gel. Thanks for sharing.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • blubutterfly04blubutterfly04 Posts: 104Registered Users
    Are you using the same water you soaked them in to boil them? Silly question, but just wanna make sure before I try this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 9-1-09, Modified CG 1/10.3a/3b mix
    Low Porosity
    No Co-Washing, Using Mild Shampoos, Lo-poos: Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Moisture Shampoo, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    Low-poo/Clarifiers: ACV rinses
    Leave in's: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    DT's: Coconut Oil, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque,
    Stylers: AG:recoil, LA Looks Mega Hold Gel,
    ** Air dry ONLY, I love plopping!**
    I am using the same water that I soaked the seeds in - and adding a further 3/4 of a pint to the pan.

• zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    I tried this yesterday, and I got much better results. The flaxseeds were a lot easier to strain and I got more gel. Thanks! :)
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I have tried this and I'm really pleased with the results. Janeyliz you're a genius! All FSG makers must try this! I've never been able to get my FSG thick enough without it being impossible to strain. I didn't measure I just gave the Flax enough room to roam in the bowl a little bit. I also was using frozen flax seeds which started out as a 1/2 C to give you an idea. I've only used it on 2nd day hair so far and it worked great! It definitely seems to have more hold for me.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    I forgot to do this the last time I made some......I think I'm going to soak me some flax seeds tonight. :)
  • girlysoxfangirlysoxfan Posts: 155Registered Users
    I'm super excited to try this technique. I did make the FSG for the first time this weekend & it went well....but this seems like it will even improve the results!
    3b/med porosity
    LoPoo: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Treseme Naturals
    Leave in: Trader Joes Nourishing condish

Current Favs: Naturelle - Biotera Curl Cream & Biotera Styling Glaze
    Delighted it worked for you, Del2c!

Soaking has worked consistently for me, which is great.

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Thanks for sharing this tip! I'll be trying it with my next batch.

Sidenote: another way to get a higher yield of gel is to re-boil the same seeds after straining out the gel. I dump the seeds back into the pot with another cup of water and do the process all over again, and get twice as much gel as using the seeds once.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users
    Is there any certain temperature (hot, lukewarm, cold) that the seeds should soak in? Just drop them in the water and wait? This sounds really interesting. I would love a thicker and harder hold gel!
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    Great tip!

One question, are you able to reuse the seeds, like you can with not soaking (I'm mostly just curious, since the seeds aren't very expensive).

*thank you to Del2C for pointing the way to this thread!
    Minneapolis, MN
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users
    A little OT, but you can soak 1/4 c. chia seeds in 3/4 c. nut milk with a bit of vanilla, agave nectar, and cinnamon and in 20 minutes, it's a gelatinous porridge that's delicious and good for you! I haven't tried making the porridge with flax, but I did wonder if chia seeds would make good hair gel.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Posts: 153Registered Users
    Thanks very much, Del2c(for heads up) and Janeyliz, great tip. soaking , now at home on my lunch break, will make tonight after work.yippie.I used to soak ,to make sprouted crackers.it gets awfully gooey, and very expanded if you do overnite. Is longer, better?:toothy8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
    To answer the questions above:

*I've used cold water from the tap or from the water filter (my water is very soft so I don't really need a filter, but it's there so I use it).
    *I've re-used the seeds: frozen them once they've cooled down, defrosted and used them again.
    *I've usually soaked them overnight. The shortest period I've soaked them for is @5 hours.

Hope that helps :)

• curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    I tried this. I soaked the flax for a really long time not on purpose but my kids were sick this morning so I didn't get around to it until they took a nap so they soaked for about 15 hours. I could tell already that it was thickend. I added 1/4 tsp of sea salt, boiled it, strained it, cooled it off, and add 5 drops of lavender oil, 1/16 tsp of guar gum, 1/2 T of agave nectar, and about 2 oz. of EW Simple Aloe Jelly. It was much thicker than normal and gave me giant clumps when I put it in. I'll report back when it's dry.
    I soaked some flax seeds as well. This definitely made it easier to strain and I ended up with twice as much gel using the same exact recipe!! It's cooling now and will try in my hair after I wash today....to be continued...... :)
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    You're welcome ladies! I didn't want this thread to get buried it wasn't getting the attention it deserved. janeyliz is brilliant!

Thanks Opera for sharing that tip, that will come in handy if you don't have time to soak the Flax.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    I forgot to add that I also added 1/2 tsp seamollient. I got really great clumps and this gel was thick enough not to fall out of my hands. The only complaint was the I think I either added too much Fairy Tales Curl Gel or too much agave nectar and seamollient my hair was a little too crunchy. Seamollient does that too me. I say try it next time I'm going to do a double batch, this time I only did 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flax seeds.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    So if I were to follow the basic recipe, would I just soak 1/4c of flaxseeds in 1c of water overnight, then boil it in the next morning?
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    I would like to know,too. I tried soaking overnite, but I make giant batches,1 cup seeds,to 4 cups distilled H20.I just covered seeds with water,completely soaked up, but didnt mesure water.figured at least a cup,but know Im thinking maybe I should measure.next day, put in pan, added 3 more cups of water.that looked right, but of course I thought I would add some more when boiling ,about a 1/4 cup It took forever to reboil, and I had to keep the flame high,just to keep it simmering, after almost 15 min. of still boiling,I had to go to work.added honey, and preservatives.It was thin/watery..put in fridge ,today its thicker than my normal FSG(egg white consistancy)But I already soaked a new batch seeds to try.Without measuring water again,(dummy) but they more than doubled their size, so I will only add 2 1/2 cups of water.Uh-oh Ive turned into BB.I have friends that like it, though ,too. they'll be happy. So Im wondering Janeyliz, or someone who can break down the measurements into cups. Do you include the soaking water, as part of the original seeds/water ratio, in original recipe. Or are you just guesstimating??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
    Tossed that batch.too weak. did nothing for hair. Next, after reading Eweniques, I thought I needed more mag. sulfate. So soaked, with it looked like it expanded from 1 cup of seeds, to a little over 2 with the soak water. So added another 2 cups, H20, 1 Tblespoon honey, and 1 tablespoon of mag. sulfate.. The seeds are already suspended,from soaking, so its hard to judge strain time that way, when simmering,.So just cooked for about 7 -8 min. It was really thick, anymore, wouldnt have strained. Only produced a little over 2 cups. added a small amount of seamollient to a 6oz.,3/4 tsp.....WOW, as curly as with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].&BRHG, or better.(only less drying time) Next time I will measure.
    I didn't use enough seeds when soaking the first time. My fsg still worked but next time I will double the amount of seeds I soak. I also will have to double the amount of other stuff I put in the recipe since I actually end up with more gel than when I don't soak the seeds. Either way, I liked the results. :flower:
  • mabbott09mabbott09 Posts: 76Registered Users
    I'm really glad I found this thread! I noticed the gel was thicker after cooling when I made my FSG the last few times with seeds I had used in my first batch. I thought maybe it was a fluke but then I did it twice more with frozen seeds. I would definitely recommend reusing or soaking seeds before making the gel. I think freezing the gel also helps with thickness but I'm not sure, I should investigate this further.
    3a/M/F/ii very porous highlighted. Loves lots and lots of Protein :D

Poo: DC NoPoo, DC lowpoo, KC come clean
    cowash:V05 moisture milks
    Condish: GVPCB, GF Triple Nutrition, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner,Elucence MB condish, TIGI O&H, MM
    Leave in- GF TN
    Stylers: fsg, re:coil, LALSG, G2B spike it, HE mousse
    My hair is loving Coconut oil and FSG!!!
    DT: CJCR, SSDD

On the hunt (again) for the perfect gel
    Looking to get Volume AND Shrinkage

HairTwin wanted:afro:
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Note to self - soak the flax seeds overnight.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Random question about the flax seeds.... How long do they typically last if I leave the seeds in a brown bag in my fridge? When I bought them, the lady said that I should keep them refridgerated, but I forgot to ask her how long they last in the fridge (dry). Does anyone know??
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
    So if I were to follow the basic recipe, would I just soak 1/4c of flaxseeds in 1c of water overnight, then boil it in the next morning?

yes exactly.

santini- shoot I have no idea. I was keep mine in a saled bag in my cabinet. never had a problem. I think if you keep them in a fridge you shouldn't have a problem. I'd say at least 6-9 months.
    I keep seeds, in the freezer.to avoid exposure to moisture, it can cause mold,I keep mine in a big amber jar.Ive used seeds for hair, that were over a year old, worked fine
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users
    I soaked 1/4 c. seeds in 1 c. water with 1/2 tsp. epsom salt for about 24 hours. The gel was thick, so I didn't boil it, I just strained it and added my usual stuff. I don't notice a real difference between the unboiled/soaked and boiled gel.
    Just FYI.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97