Eyeshadow help!!

botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
Hey everyone,

I need help with applying eyeshadow. I KNOW where to apply the different shades and everything. What's really getting me, though, is blending the darkest shade into the crease. I use Eco Tools eyeshadow brush (in a kit). It's good for patting the eyeshadow on your lid and all, but terrible for blending into the crease. I've been wanting to try this blending brush from Sally's: http://www.sallybeauty.com/eyeshadow-brush/SBS-249113,default,pd.html

NOTE: If anyone has tried that brush, post your review!

Also, I like matte, daytime shadows a bit more than shimmery, cream shadows. Cream shadows are a bit easier to blend into the crease than powder eyeshadows.

Any tips/comments appreciated!
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Comments

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    have you tried youtube?? LOL. i learned all my stuff from youtube so i always try to put it out there first.

what i have learned is that sometimes an extra color is needed to provide that blended look. i refer to it as a transition color. i sometimes use it in between colors, or right above the crease/ brow bone to give it that smokey/ blended effect.

dont know if that helped, but maybe a pro can jump in and give other suggestions. i've tried blending with just a brush (i.e. CVS whatever essential blending brush) and i dont get that 'finished' look i've seen. using the additional color seems to be give me the perfect look!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Go easy with darker colors. Apply a layer then blend. Apply more if needed, blend.

What sort of primer and base are you using? Some are harder to blend than others.

A lot of MU kit brushes aren't stiff enough for good blending IMO. Maxine's Mop, Rou's fave, is a good blending brush. Hop on over to Michaels or AC Moore and pick one up for about $5.

And I second the YouTube rec. There are a few MUAs to check out: the QueenofBlending, ApropoMakeup, BeautyArtStudio, Krawls
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i have to agree with You Tube. there are LOTS of people showing how to do different looks and you're sure to find some you want to try.

start with the easy ones and work your way up.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    I appreciate everyone's advice.

Yes, I've watched countless Youtube video tutorials, but when I actually try it on myself, it never turns out right. Drives me insane!

Phoenix: I don't really have a correct base right now--I just got into using eyeshadow. But I plan to purchase some concealer or something like that to put under my eye makeup. Thanks for recommending Maxine's Mop :) I'll have to check that out.

Thanks everyone! Keep the replies comin' :)
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    if you can't find Maxine's Mop near you, you can buy them online at Hofcraft.com.

the best way to learn how to do your eye makeup is to just do it - do one eye one way, the other another way. wash it off and start again.

don't use mascara and just experiment.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I use a small blush brush and use my face powder to gently blend the whole lot. Not sure what the pros would say about that, but it works for me :)
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^That's actually a good idea.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • bfly36bfly36 Posts: 126Registered Users
    The blending brush i use is from Sonia Kashuk, it's a fluffy blending blush you can get at target. Everyday minerals has some good eyeshadow brushes and they are so soft and the price is fair.
    Low Poo: Mastey Traite, GTTT
    Conditioner: GVP,
    Leave Ins: KCKT, Shescentit LI
    Styling: ISO Bouncy Cream, DOC, HETT, KCCC

Still trying to figure out what hair i have lol!!.

Wanting to try: Darcy's, KBB and Botticelli Botanicals.:laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file