Fine hair, flat irons and breakage

~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
Does anyone here with fine, unrelaxed hair flat iron every day? I am absolutely paranoid about breakage because I spent a lot of time and money growing out my severely damaged, breaking hair. I have no choice now but to flat iron every day, and I'm so afraid that my new healthy hair will suffer at the hands of my flat ironing. I'm becoming quite neurotic about it.

I haven't yet seen any broken hairs on the bathroom sink after styling, but I've only been flat ironing my hair now daily for about 3 weeks, and I am so afraid of impending damage. The plan is still to grow my hair out long enough to wear it curly and be done with this lifelong hair struggle once and for all!

So, for those who have been flat ironing daily for 6 months or more and have fine, unrelaxed hair, is your hair still showing growth, or is it breaking off at a rate that is equal to or higher than the breakage rate?

TIA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
Cowash-V05 Extra Body
L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
JFLVM
BRHG mix w/
KCCC/KCKT (winter)
Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    Hmmm...ok, so no one has any experience flat ironing daily?

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to see the beginning of the end of this flat ironing thing. I'm beginning to find broken hairs on my sink and counter now where I do my hair. I just did another BKT yesterday, too, and today is when I'm seeing broken hairs--so that is clearly of no benefit to strengthening fine hair and preventing breakage. I'm overly gentle with my hair, too, with regard to handling and brushing and combing, so, I don't think it's going to make it this way if it's already going to start breaking after less than 1 month of flat ironing. Time to develop a plan C.... before all my length is gone :clock: :sigh:
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
  • bfly36bfly36 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Hi, I have fine wavy hair and until i started CG i flat ironed alot. Why do you have to iron every day? What i use to do to not do it every day, was do a wrap my hair around my head at night (its called a doobee) and in the morning when i let the pins down my hair was straight, letting me flat iron about twice a week.

I don't rec doing it every day. They rec here to flat iron on clean hair only. You should also use a good flat iron protection spray (not oils). Please answere why do you need to do this everyday, maybe we can offer suggestions as how to make it last longer so you don't have to do it every day.

Semid5 has alot of info and a tutorial on the hair wrapping.

I just started modified CG but i have flat ironed, blow dried for around 10 years so I've tried everything in the book.

BTW i was always under the impression that with the BKT you don't have to blow dry or flat iron and apparently you do and also use products for frizz, so i won't invest my money in it. Let us know more about your routine. and what type of hair you have.
    Low Poo: Mastey Traite, GTTT
    Conditioner: GVP,
    Leave Ins: KCKT, Shescentit LI
    Styling: ISO Bouncy Cream, DOC, HETT, KCCC

Still trying to figure out what hair i have lol!!.

Wanting to try: Darcy's, KBB and Botticelli Botanicals.:laughing6:
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    i second the doobee (is that how it's spelled?! LOL). my hair is not fine, but if i sleep with it loose, it will look ugly faster. i always wrap my hair when i flat iron and my hair looks great for about a week. also, what heat are you using to flat iron? how big are your sections?

when i did the BKT, i also found myself running the flat iron thru my hair almost everyday too. pre BKT, i only did it on the first day, and as long as i wrapped my hair, i did not need to run the flat iron thru it. that's another reason why the BKT wasnt for me. i'm extremely low maintenance. with being at work at 7am, i didnt have time to flat iron everyday.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    My hair is so fine, I just need to revive it somewhat. Give it some body or flip the ends up or down. I don't have to do a full flat iron job or anything like that, and it wasn't because it was frizzy or curly upon awakening. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I just don't look good with flat, straight hair. My hair is so fine that it almost disappears when it's straight. I think if I wrapped my hair, it would be too straight and flat when I awoke and I'd still need to do something to it with heat.

Oh, and thank you for the suggestions!

I think the biggest problem my hair has is its degree of fine-ness. It lacks volume, body, strength--even in its virgin state. EVERYTHING makes it break. I am so gentle with my hair, it's ridiculous. I truly don't think there is any way to coexist happily with baby fine hair if you want it to grow or be longer than shoulder length.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Are you doing the CG Method? if not i m sure it would help your hair a million. My hair dresser saw my hair yesterday said it was sooo much bettter than when i first started going to him.

bfly36 wrote: »
    Are you doing the CG Method? if not i m sure it would help your hair a million. My hair dresser saw my hair yesterday said it was sooo much bettter than when i first started going to him.

Yes, for the most part--probably modified a bit, though. I don't use shampoo to wash, and when I do, it's no sulfate, no salt. I've tried avoiding cones, but it doesn't seem to matter.

It's all about the degree of fineness. I'm certain of it. No magic potions or methods are going to change that. Whatever layer is that gives coarse or even "regular" hair structure, strength and weight--probably keratin--is missing from my hair. I think many people have or "think" they have fine hair, until they see mine. :sad8:

I'm struggling to wear it curly now, which, for the most part with the BKT, is wash-and-wear, so hopefully this will encourage continued growth by cutting down on breakage.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Post a pic of your hair and I'm sure you will get more suggestions for your situation.

I have stopped using the flat iron all together. Don't need it anymore. And, of course, the breakage has stopped as well.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Hmmm...I added a profile pic and one to my siggie, but I don't see anything. Is it just me?

Ah...needed to put it in the avatar, not profile. But, still don't see the siggie pic.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file