Widescreen TVs - help us choose!

CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Sorry if this has been done before, but searching came up with nothing. DH and I are looking to buy an affordable (?!) widescreen TV -- 42 - 52" or so. We're leaning toward DLP but have looked at plasmas and LCDs. Which would you buy, or do you own, and why? We mostly watch movies and TV shows, the gamecube is on a smaller TV in another room. We want HDTV capabilities and DH is looking for 720-1080 resolution.

ETA: Which brand do you prefer?
SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    Wait, if you can! I read an article last week that said LCD plasma prices are going to drop more than 40% over the next few months.

I have heard that plasmas only last a few years. I don't if that's true, but I think I would go with the LCD.
  • KraytKrayt Posts: 765Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DLP all the way. The plasmas are definitely far more expensive to maintain (I believe $800 was the last I heard to refill the plasma, which lasts 8000 hours if I remember correctly, where they DLP is $300 or so).

In short, without getting into too much detail, DLP will give you more bang for your buck. If and when I do buy a bigger tv, it WILL be a DLP and I will not regret it one bit.

-Litos
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    We have a Sony Grand Wega DLP HDTV and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the replies so far. :) I edited the original post to ask which brands you prefer too. (thanks godgivenperm!)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    We have a 42" LCD that we LOVE. It was from Costco and it's a brand that is pretty unrecognizable, but it got great reviews and we have 0 complaints.

Costco Sceptre 42" LCD HDTV

We bought ours this past March and the price is significantly lower now.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Ooooh, great timing. SO and I are looking for a widescreen TV. He is leaning toward plasma for some reason, but I have also heard something about them not lasting that long. Hmmmmmm. I think we want a 42" as well.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I know this is old, but I was starting a search for a big, flat screen TV too.

Hubby & I have been told, maybe wrongly, I don't know, that plasmas leak.

Or maybe it was liquid crystal display that leaks?

Thanks to DJ for the information provided! We weren't told such.

I definitely remember being told plasmas don't last long, especially in high altitudes, though we won't be living in UT forever.

We were also told another type, which I can't remember, has pixels that go bad after several years.

Then we heard that projections have mighty expensive bulbs to replace after a few years.

Though I do like that DLPs are so much better than the old projection screens; you can actually see the picture from the side & don't have to be directly in front of the TV!

We're also confused about what size to get because we're in a temporary home & don't know what size living room or family room we'll eventually have.

I hate to do searches on places like newegg due to information overload & we don't subscribe to Consumer Reports, neither does the local library, or we'd consult with such.

All noted are reasons why we haven't committed to purchasing, but as you can probably tell, I'm leaning towards a DLP.

CurliLocks, what did you & your hubby decide on?
  • michellermicheller Posts: 470Registered Users
    I think the plasma problems of a few years ago have for the most part been fixed, the newer models don't have the same technology problems as the old models did.

We have a 50 inch Pioneer Elite plasma (one of hubby's clients is the distributor of Pioneers to smaller elctronic chains like Tweeters, so we got it at cost, otherwise, I would never pay the outragous price this goes for retail) and I have to say I really wasn't that excited about it because I just thought it was too big, etc. etc., but I was wrong!! It is the most incredible picture I have ever seen. We have had it for about a year now, and have had no problems at all. Remember, once you get a tv like this, you also have to upgrade your cable to get the HD programming (there is no reaon to have a tv like this if you don't have HD)

Watching football (or any sport in HD) on this tv is amazing. Honestly, I really don't enjoy going to the movies anymore, because the picture sucks on the big screen! :D

Good luck with your choice, I am sure you will love your new tv!!

ETA - I didn't even realize this was an old thread, haven't had my coffee yet this morning :lol: So, what did you get???
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I thought all plasmas can suffer from burned in images. Plasma was the thing a few years ago, but it seems to me that these days LCD and DLP are better bets.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
    mazey wrote:
    I thought all plasmas can suffer from burned in images. Plasma was the thing a few years ago, but it seems to me that these days LCD and DLP are better bets.

I thought so too, but hubby has Bloomberg TV (I lovingly refer to this as Snore tv - you know the one with all the stock symbols and boxes of info nobody in their right mind wants to know) on constantly, and I was worried about image burn in, but we haven't had any at all. I read up on it, and with the new plasma technology, you just have to be careful about image burn in in the first 100 hours of watching, which we were, I would only let him leave Bloomberg on for 10-15 minutes at a time during the first 100 hours (those were the good ol days! :lol: ) We haven't had a problem at all. Maybe we are just lucky?
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    micheller wrote:
    mazey wrote:

I thought so too, but hubby has Bloomberg TV (I lovingly refer to this as Snore tv - you know the one with all the stock symbols and boxes of info nobody in their right mind wants to know) on constantly, and I was worried about image burn in, but we haven't had any at all. I read up on it, and with the new plasma technology, you just have to be careful about image burn in in the first 100 hours of watching, which we were, I would only let him leave Bloomberg on for 10-15 minutes at a time during the first 100 hours (those were the good ol days! :lol: ) We haven't had a problem at all. Maybe we are just lucky?

Michelle - we have the same TV as you and have had it at least 4 years. No problems at all. Hubby used to worry about the burned in image thing, but he hasn't mentioned it in so long I can't even remember the last time.
    sdcurly wrote:
    Michelle - we have the same TV as you and have had it at least 4 years. No problems at all. Hubby used to worry about the burned in image thing, but he hasn't mentioned it in so long I can't even remember the last time.

That is soo good to hear, thanks! I have to say when hubby said he was buying a plasma I was worried because of what everyone else has previously posted, but I have been pleasantly surprised by this tv! I love it!
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I never heard about the screens suffering from burnt-on images.

Can someone tell me what DLP stands for; double layer projection?

LCD stands for liquid crystal display, right?
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    What is DLP?
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I never heard about the screens suffering from burnt-on images.

Can someone tell me what DLP stands for; double layer projection?

LCD stands for liquid crystal display, right?
    Yep
    DLP - digital light processing
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• gemidevigemidevi Posts: 510Registered Users
    Curlyboy and I just bought our TV for our new house. After tons of research, we decided to get a 50" Samsung DLP. But if you get DLP, make sure to get the warranty or service agreement because the bulb in the DLP can burn out after 4 years. After the research, we found that our TV has enough technological advances to sustain us for the next 5 years, even as new technology comes out! Its a great TV, I love it!

Good luck with TV hunting! It can be very daunting and frustrating. But stick to your guns, the sales guy will always want you to buy something bigger and 'better' for more money.
    *disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We have the 50 inch Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma. I love it. While you are doing your research, you may find this link helpful. It explains it ALL.

ABC ALL KNOWING GUIDE TO HDTV

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    We have a 56" Samsung DLP and it is great!

This is my ideal tv because it can hang on the wall.

I would stay away from plasma's because images can burn into the screen.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file