Question about Henna

CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
Well this is probably one of the most stupid questions ever posted but...

I've heard about henna giving shine and loose curls (both of which I am looking for) but I also know it's only for red hair (and I'm not a redhead). Is there such thing as clear henna or any type of henna that won't dye your hair red? Thanks in advance guys! :happy10:
CG since December 22, 2008!:thumbright:
Thick/Coarse/Porous/3a/Protein Sensitive

Luvin the Spritz and Condish method! =)

Comments

• Luka LomiLuka Lomi Posts: 13Registered Users
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    Depending on how dark your natural color is, you may or may not see the red color from henna. For example, a natural dark brunette would only get a subtle reddish tint, whereas my natural dark blonde hair turns a vivid red.

Cassia has a pale golden color which doesn't show up on hair unless you are already very light blonde or gray. It has similar conditioning effects to henna.

Many people also combine henna with other herbs, such as buxus or indigo, to get shades of brown and black. Check out http://www.hennaforhair.com

I found that henna did loosen my curls a bit (I'm a wavy) which may or may not be something you want to do. I have heard of people who have gone from curly to wavy or even straight after repeated full-head henna applications. I don't want to get straighter, so I only henna my roots and I used amla to bring back my curl.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
    Thx for the replies! :)

Okay so because I have dirty blonde hair I should try cassia instead of henna? And that will give me the shine and looser curls without any color change?

• SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I have not tried pure cassia on my hair, but from what I understand it would probably just give you a slightly warmer golden tone if your hair is blonde to begin with.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
    Salamander wrote: »
    I have not tried pure cassia on my hair, but from what I understand it would probably just give you a slightly warmer golden tone if your hair is blonde to begin with.

Hmmmm, alright. Thx again for the reply!

• Khadija.D.CarrylKhadija.D.Carryl Posts: 68Registered Users
    You'll probably really like using cassia obovata. It does give a slight golden tone to the hair but it isn't permanent like henna is. So you'll probably need to use it at least every 3-4 weeks.

You're hair will be gorgeous and shiny and you won't have to worry about going red! Hope this helps
    You'll probably really like using cassia obovata. It does give a slight golden tone to the hair but it isn't permanent like henna is. So you'll probably need to use it at least every 3-4 weeks.

You're hair will be gorgeous and shiny and you won't have to worry about going red! Hope this helps

Yes it does! Thx! I'll have to go check this out...

• MsPuddlesMsPuddles Posts: 9Registered Users
    I use henna but my hair is dark brown(1b color) mixed with some red and medium brown naturally and my hair looks basically the same after using henna. although since your hair is lighter I would recommend you go to http://www.hennaforhair.com/ they seem to be some of the most experienced people I have come across about henna and other herbal "dyes", they even helped me get my perfect henna color in one try!
    Good luck, I have heard many good things about cassia!
  • hockeyruleshockeyrules Posts: 95Registered Users
    have you seen any color stripping of the henna color using Suave? there was a person on the forum at hennaforhair that said that some conditioners strip color and she specifically said Suave. That is what i am currently using and I hennaed this weekend. thanks for the reply
    CG since the book came out!!

Products
    -Shampoo: - Edens co-wash
    Conditioner: Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks curl renew, CJ Argan oil, Mop Top daily conditioner
    Leave-in's: above
    DT: GVC
    Curl Cream: SMS
    Stylers: Curly Kinks Coil Jam, Mop Top
  • gingeredcurlymumgingeredcurlymum Posts: 12Registered Users
    Salamander wrote: »
    Depending on how dark your natural color is, you may or may not see the red color from henna. For example, a natural dark brunette would only get a subtle reddish tint, whereas my natural dark blonde hair turns a vivid red.

Cassia has a pale golden color which doesn't show up on hair unless you are already very light blonde or gray. It has similar conditioning effects to henna.

Many people also combine henna with other herbs, such as buxus or indigo, to get shades of brown and black. Check out http://www.hennaforhair.com

I found that henna did loosen my curls a bit (I'm a wavy) which may or may not be something you want to do. I have heard of people who have gone from curly to wavy or even straight after repeated full-head henna applications. I don't want to get straighter, so I only henna my roots and I used amla to bring back my curl.

Did you add the amla to the henna mixture? I want to keep my curls, i just ordered the regular BAQ henna (i'm already a red-head, but all the straightening left my hair very very dull) Your hair looks beautiful, but of course I wouldn't expect mine to come out that light, since my hair is darker.
    curly type 3 (a b & c!!!)
    m iii
    BSL
    CG as of 02/10
    No-pooing for years (always left my hair dry)
    Cond: AOHR + Honey Rinse
    DT: Coconut Oil!!! - LOVE THE STUFF!
    Styling: aiming for none, but DevaCurl SIF, HETT, and/or AVG (and more often than my hair would like baby drool and finger styling with baby food - at least it's fresh and organic!)
    Testing: Henna/Cassia + Amla (just ordered it, will try asap!)
  • PreciousHoneyPreciousHoney Posts: 254Registered Users
    If you do a google search on Megumi Organic Salon she has lots of pictures of the differnt colors you can get with different henna mixes
    Precious Honey :)
    3c with some 3b at the bottom.
    Im lovin HENNA
    Light protein use

Co-wash: Suave Daily Clarifying Co
    Rinse-out: Back to Basics Pom Peach (old bottle) or GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: GVP Condidtioning Balm with heat
    Leave in: Elucence MBC
    Gel: HEBE or Aussie Instant Freeze gel.
    Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Balance
    http://public.fotki.com/Precioushoney/
  • tinymandolintinymandolin Posts: 157Registered Users
    Why does henna loosen curls/waves? My hair has a very loose wave already and I don't want to lose whatever I have--I want to encourage it instead so they won't be as lazy--but I also want some shine/blonde tones added to my naturally medium blonde hair... so what would be best according to your experiences?
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me, it wasn't a permanent thing. It's just that the henna dried me out so my curl wasn't quite up to par for a little while until I got it sorted out again.

Beyond that, it IS bonding with your hair, so maybe it's the extra weight of it that's curl-reducing for some? I'm not sure, but I know it doesn't have a permanent affect on ALL curlies.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file