Dry Brine vs Wet Brine-Turkey

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have heard all this talk about wet brining and how much better a turkey tastes when you brine them. But - it just seems like soooo much work. I do not have the space in my frig to store it (because you have to have totally in the brine so you would then have to something big enough to hold the turkey in the brine, etc etc. I just came across some recipes for dry brining. Same idea but you can just keep in the frig covered after you put the brine on it so a large container is not needed.

Has anyone done this method? Good, bad or indifferent?
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you have ever had fresh, kosher poultry--it's similar to dry brine idea. Because of the space considerations, I've only brined turkey in the sink for a shorter period of time--and it does make a difference. I do smaller items, like a roaster, in a 2 gallon ziploc in the refrigerator. If you have a large cooler, you could probably do the turkey in that and put it on a back porch, etc.

Why don't you try a roaster, brined, this week and see how you like it and if it's worth it to you to try it with the turkey??
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You're in the northeast, correct? It's cold enough outside to mimic a refridgerator. I soak my turkey the night before in a big covered crab pot full of salt water and just stick the whole thing out on my back patio. It's never been a problem with animals or anything.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You're in the northeast, correct? It's cold enough outside to mimic a refridgerator. I soak my turkey the night before in a big covered crab pot full of salt water and just stick the whole thing out on my back patio. It's never been a problem with animals or anything.

RCW - I thought about that but it has been kinda warm here. I thought about using our bigger cooler too and sticking it on the deck.

I am thinking I will try the dry brine for Thanksgiving-I have read about it on Chowhound.com and they all seem to like it and it appears to compare with wet brining.

Then I will pick up a smaller turkey at some point and try the wet brining for us at some point.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I never brine my turkeys or chickens - wet, dry, or otherwise - so I'm no help.
    But man, am I hungry for a stuffed chicken right now!!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file