CurlTalk

Share your Hair Biography

Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
Here is where you share it all! A thread to help us keep our hair proprties, etc. straight and to hopefully learn from eachother. I've posted the template and you can copy and paste it in to your reply to ill it out. When you have things to add or change you can just edit your post.
Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2a, 2b, 2c
Texture: fine, medium, coarse
Porosity: low, med, high
Density: thin, medium, thick
Elasticity: low, normal, high
Characteristics: flat top/no root curl, hard to straighten, easily weighed down, etc.

CG/ModCG/not CG:

Hair ingredient likes:
Hair ingredient dislikes:

Hard/Soft Water:

HG/Go-to Products: up to 5 products that are constantly in your rotation

Average climate/dew points: humid or dry then typical dews

Fall/Winter combos:
Spring/Summer combos:

Favorite styling techniques and why:
Techniques that didn’t work and why:

Hair Twins:

Here are some links to help you figure out yur hair properties.

Curly hair basics from Live Curly, Live Free
Fia hair typing system
Hair elasticity
Weather with dews from WeatherUnderground

If there is anything else you think I should add or helpful links you think could add to learning about hair properties feel free to PM me and I can edit the chart. Have fun Wavies!!!
High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern:2c
    Texture: fine
    Porosity: med to high
    Density: thin
    Elasticity: ?
    Characteristics: flat top/no root curl

CG/ModCG/not CG: CG

Hair ingredient likes: Coconut oil, behentrimonium methosulphate, honey, agave
    Hair ingredient dislikes: AVG, hydrolyzed wheat protein

Hard/Soft Water: ?

HG/Go-to Products: Moisture Maniac condish, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-in, Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee

Average climate/dew points: It's pretty average here in SoCal. Not too humid, not too dry. Dews are around 40 to 50 in the fall.

Fall/Winter combos: CJ CALI, DoC, BRHG
    Spring/Summer combos:

Favorite styling techniques and why: Pixiecurl diffusing for volume, Clipping for root lift
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: SuperSoaker method I couldn't get root lift even with clipping

Hair Twins:
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• GeorgeGlassGeorgeGlass Posts: 22Registered Users
    Curl Pattern: 2a
    Porosity: high
    Elasticity: med
    Characteristics: Weak wave pattern, prone to flatness around the roots, very easy to straighten/curl, frizzy!!

CG/ModCG/not CG: new ModCG (less than 2 months!)

Hair ingredient likes: Unsure - I am a n00b.
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Whatever was in Redken Touch Control mousse! I will have to compare with other mousses to find out if it's just a mousse thing.

Hard/Soft Water: Unsure

HG/Go-to Products: Kevin Murphy easy.rider, *very small amounts* of MOP Liquid Wax (does a great job of defining the ends of dry hair), starting to use V05 Mega Hold Gel, but not sure if I like it. Still trying to figure out what my hair likes. I'm pretty reluctant to buy new things before I've run out of the old ones. On the look out for a good strong hold product to give my waves definition.

Average climate/dew points: dry and hot!

Fall/Winter combos:
    Spring/Summer combos:

Favorite styling techniques and why: Icequeening for root lift and clumps, placing my part in the shower (I side-part my naturally centre-parted hair - seriously, this changed everything for me!), plopping. Tried spritz and condish once and it was pretty awesome.

Techniques that didn’t work and why: Diffusing of any kind. My hair will puff up like a dandelion.
    Australian 2a wavy, very fine, porous, rather thin, below the shoulders and slowly growing out to bra strap length.

Daily: co-wash Ecostore Normal Hair Conditioner, rinse-out Kevin.Murphy Luxury Rinse.

Weekly: low-poo Kevin.Murphy Angel Wash, d/t Redken Real Control Mask (NOT CG - looking for a good, available in Australia, 'cone free d/t)

Style: Redken Touch Control mousse, and lots of it, SOTC with Kevin.Murphy Easy Rider, define the ends with MOP Liquid Wax
  • currlybirdcurrlybird Posts: 33Registered Users
    Thank you for doing this Jess. The links are useful. Now I can confidently say I'm a 2C curl type but medium texture, medium density and at least medium porous. I'll work on my bio. :profileright:
    2C - fine but lots of it, porous.
    Religiously CG since Sept. 2008
    Products: for cowash/condish mostly Deva but about to try CJ; lately loving BRHG, new Deva Foam
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2c
    Texture: medium,
    Porosity: med,
    Density: thick
    Elasticity: normal,
    Characteristics: tends to frizz, tends to be bulky without product

CG/ModCG/not CG:

Hair ingredient likes:
    Hair ingredient dislikes: glycerin

Hard/Soft Water:?

HG/Go-to Products: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutriton
    conditioner, homemade FSG with ACV,
    Queen Helene hot oil, Lustrasilk Olive Oil Conditioner

Average climate/dew points:?

Fall/Winter combos:
    Spring/Summer combos:

Favorite styling techniques and why:What works best is cowashing, scrunching in gel upside down, clipping and sitting under the bonnet dryer.Sleeping on a satin pillowcase, my hair looks pretty good second or third day, just have to mist it with conditioner/water mix, and scrunch in some more FSG.
    Air dry or sit under the dryer a few minutes.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Plopping resulted in frizz. Diffusing resulted in frizz. Drip drying resulted in frizz, because I couldn't leave it alone.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Falbum.php%3Faid%3D3644%26amp%3Bid%3D1744062716%26amp%3Bl%3D1acf58be15" class="Popup
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Curl Pattern:2bmii
    Texture: Medium
    Porosity: Normal
    Density: Medium
    Characteristics: ?

Hair ingredient likes: FSG, small amounts of protein
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Too much protein

Hard/Soft Water: Harder than soft, but not horrible

HG/Go-to Products: FSG, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel-p-941.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel]Aloe Fix[/buylink] Gel, AOMM - all layered under HETT

Average climate/dew points: Hmm, am in NorCal. Never really humid, alot of rain in the winter, dew points in the 50s?

Fall/Winter combos: FSG/HETT, AOMM/HETT, AFG/HETT
    Spring/Summer combos: Same as above :lol:

Favorite styling techniques and why: Pixiecurl diffusing for volume, IceQueen for rinsing
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Plopping, it gets all weird.

Hair Twins: possible WavyCurly40+
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    Curl Pattern: I think 2b, maybe c. I think in the summer I can get to 3a???
    Texture: between fine and medium
    Porosity: i think low
    Density: have no clue
    Elasticity: I think i'm low, but not sure
    Characteristics:

CG/ModCG/not CG: modified

Hair ingredient likes: aloe, honey , FSG, coconut , glycerin, ACV
    Hair ingredient dislikes: castor oil

Hard/Soft Water: soft

HG/Go-to Products: DM HJ, FSG, JC RR&CC, BRHG

Average climate/dew points: ??

Fall/Winter combos: it seems [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], DOH and curl gelles'c combo is really working for me
    Spring/Summer combos: KY, Komaz hair pudding, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]CJ CCCC[/buylink], DMCHB

Favorite styling techniques and why: ice queen- for clumps. Pixie diffuse - for curl formation.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: super soaker- hair looked really frizzy and stringy

Hair Twins: runnerchicki.
  • kelnerankelneran Posts: 8Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2a, some 2b with a weird straight section underneath in the back of my hair that absolutely refuses to curl.
    Porosity: med to high
    Density: medium
    Elasticity: low
    Characteristics: flat top, easily straightened, lazy wave pattern, easily weighed down.
    CG/ModCG/not CG: Mod CG

Hair ingredient likes: Protein! And toooons of moisture, wherever I can get it.
    Hair ingredient dislikes: None so far. I need to experiment a little more.

Hard/Soft Water: Soft. It's killing my curl!

HG/Go-to Products: I'm new, so I haven't had much time to experiment, but I like VO5 conditioners, and the HE gel is really working for me.
    Average climate/dew points: It's pretty average around these parts, but in the winter it gets really dry. Eep!

Fall/Winter combos: ?
    Spring/Summer combos: ?

Favorite styling techniques and why: Anything that involves scrunching is great for my waves! And clipping works well for me.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Plopping! It gave me super weird curl patterns, and flatness in strange places.

Hair Twins:
    2a, with a little 2b mixed in
    Mod CG since 10/29/09

Low Poo: Burts Bees More Moisture Shampoo
    CO Wash: V05 Raspberry Conditioner
    Rinse Out: Burts Bees More Moisture Conditioner
    Styling: HE Totally Twisted Gel, Garnier Fructis Wave Enhancing Spray
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2b
    Texture: very fine
    Elasticity: Low
    Characteristics: Never grown past shoulders,hard to weigh down,very easy to straighten, hard to encourage curls, dry

CG/ModCG/not CG:Mod CG, I low poo 2-3 times per month in winter, weekly in summer.

Hair ingredient likes: Behentrimonium Methosulfate,
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Had straw like reaction to several conditioners, many conditioners cause producty frizz, hates epsom salt (adds curl, but drying). jojoba,shea butter, PEG castor oil
    Hard/Soft Water:
    Hard

HG/Go-to Products: IAgirl's gelatin PT completely changed my hair for the better, Honey (mixed into rinse out), BRHG, Ecostyler Krystal in summer, and coconut oil

Average climate/dew points: North Dakota. Cold to extremely cold and dry in winter, normal to slightly humid in summer

Fall/Winter combos: Humidifier, especially in the bedroom where your hair spends 1/3 of its life. No gylcerin in styling products or leave in. FSG+BRHG
    Spring/Summer combos: FSG+ecostyler+BRHG, loves humectants in normal dews

Favorite styling techniques and why: Coconut oil prewash (prevent hygral fatigue, adds moisture when I need a hit) . Modified super soaker method (clumps),Plopping (promotes curls). Pixie curl diffusing (enhances curls) Smasters method. (enhances curls some more, cuts drying time)

Techniques that didn't work and why: Overnight plop (short hair), raking (pull out curls with weak curl patterns), skip curl (one side started unwinding before I was done with the other side. Epic failure.) scrunching with a towel (causes frizz, breaks up clumps)

Hair Twins: Nah, my hair is too weird. :)

user_online.gif report.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SouthernMossSouthernMoss Posts: 291Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Characteristics: flat top, thin along front hairline (age/hormones), prone to “floaty” frizz, prone to tangles, curlier underneath/less curly on top

CG/ModCG/not CG: mod CG

Hair ingredient likes: protein, behentrimonium methosulphate, oils and butters in moderation

Hard/Soft Water: moderately soft

HG/Go-to Products: BRHG, FSG, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]JC WDT[/buylink], Nexxus Emergencee

Average climate/dew points: high humidity in summer, moderate in winter, average summer dew points are in the 70s, average winter dew points are in the 40s

Fall/Winter combos: ?

Favorite styling techniques and why: sleeping on crunchy hair helps hold style, pineapple protects curls while sleeping, satin pillowcase reduces frizz potential from hair dragging on pillowcase, air drying protects from heat damage, flour sack towels remove water without creating frizz
    Currently trying Spritz & Condish-I like it so far!
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: icequeen makes too many tangles; extra water in super soaker pulls out waves, plopping with heavy materials or for longer than 5 minutes flattens hair and creates weird waves and curls

Hair Twins:
    Wavy, fine texture, med/high porosity (?), med density
    2cFii on the Fia System

Current products
    :
    Low-poo: JC GLS or JC HCC
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut (also do water-wash)
    Rinse-out: AO GPB, Mop C Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: BB FSG, BRHG, JC Oil Blend, BB Hemp, Grapeseed, & Clary Sage Hair and Body Butter
    Deep treatments: Nexxus Emergencee PT, Jessicurl WDT
    Occasional ACV rinses

mod-CG since June, 2009

sigpic.jpg
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: Fia 2c? (big, loopy, loose spirals; tight spirals around face) The (old) photo with my profile gives you a sense, even though the cut is different now.
    Texture: medium
    Porosity: don't know. Sometimes it seems to take my hair a long time to get fully saturated with water. It dries very fast with no product.
    Elasticity: ?? (probably normal)
    Characteristics: prone to frizz; limited root curl; very irregular pattern (more consistent in high dewpoints). The curl pattern seems weak in that combing or conventional ponytails will remove most of it, but once the curl is established by scrunching, it doesn't fall out. Instead, my hair tends to get big and poofy, losing definition, if I don't use products with enough hold.

Hair ingredient likes: Hair seems to tolerate most ingredients. I like a number of products with panthenol, glycerin, aloe. I can handle pretty substantial conditioners or leave-ins, and I like good holding ingredients to tamp down the fuzziness.
    Hair ingredient dislikes: A few products give me a gunky, producty look (KCCC; DMCJ if I use too much). BRHG made my hair stringy and almost seemed to inhibit curl.

Hard/Soft Water: Hard (well water)

HG/Go-to Products: No product is 100 percent foolproof. The ones that have been most consistent over time are: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner; Giovanni Direct Leave-in; Beauty without Cruelty Leave-in; Duchess of Curls; [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink].

Average climate/dew points: Dewpoints vary from single-digit to 60+

Fall/Winter combos: leave-in + DoC or AOMM + medium hold, low-humectant gel (like Aubrey Organics B5 Design gel) OR CJ Coffee Coco Curl Creme + gel.

Spring/Summer combos: leave-in + [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] or Curl Junkie Aloe Fix + medium-to-firm-holding gel

Gels in current (summer) rotation are: LA Looks Sport; Clairol Herbal Essences Set Me Up (works most of year); Giovanni LA Naturals (may work most of year)

Favorite styling techniques and why: Ice Queen (modified to use less condish); scrunching products upside down (both help with root curl); styling hair while very wet and then scrunching with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-ease-Towel-p-500.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlease-curlease-towel]curl-ease towel[/buylink]; airdrying
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Diffusing with anything other than the pixiecurl method; diffusing longer than 1 minute (frizz/dryness); plopping (layers too short)

Hair Twins: Still looking!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: mostly 2b/2c with some 3a bits underneath.
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Was high, but seems much lower after using henna
    Density: Thick
    Elasticity: Low/medium
    Characteristics: Thick, prone to frizz, mix of waves and big fat loose spirals. Currently a bit below shoulder length

CG/ModCG/not CG: CG since 4/29/09

Hair ingredient likes: Aloe, coconut oil, ACV
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Used to love protein but after hennaing seems to like it less

Hard/Soft Water: Very hard

HG/Go-to Products: Suave Naturals condish, LVPNG, aloe vera gel, HETT, BSRHG

Average climate/dew points: Coastal New England -- variable weather and dew points

Fall/Winter combos: AVG under HETT
    Spring/Summer combos: AVG, honey and coconut oil under BRHG

Favorite styling techniques and why: Icequeen method, plopping, pineapple at night, Pixiecurl diffusing sometimes when I don't feel like waiting for airdry
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Super Soaker

Hair Twins:
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    Curl Pattern: Fia 2cFi
    Porosity: normal to low
    Elasticity: low & normal
    Characteristics: flat top/no root curl, easily weighed down

CG/ModCG/not CG: Um, Mod CG. Don't use cones on a regular basis, though I do experiment with them occasionally. I don't have a problem with the a-cones or c-cones and usually use them. I also end up using a sulfate shampoo quite frequently.

Hair ingredient likes: Coconut oil as a DT. Hydroxyethylcellulose -- it's a double duty ingred. Solution Thickener and it gives my body a lot of bounce.
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Other oils in general. Weigh down my hair and make it limp and stringy. I don't like Aloe Vera Gel straight, but like it in with other products. Glycerin -- too humid here for it.

Hard/Soft Water: Extra Hard Water!

HG/Go-to Products: Spiral Soultions CEJ, SS Caitlin's Condish. Brocato Hold On Gel for the Summer, Chi Infra-Red in the Winter. Seasons make a huge difference in my routine.

Average climate/dew points: humid, high dews--year round

Fall/Winter combos: Redken Soft Spin 05, SS FHG (I love this combo in dews of 55 or lower!!!)
    Spring/Summer combos: SS CEJ, Brocato hold on, Curlisto Protein Boost, Structura Lotion, Biogel mousse

Favorite styling techniques and why: modified super-soaking to reduce stringy hair. Sometimes I will rake in a product for good distribution then supersoak the clumps back in. Roller Jaw Clamp for crown volume (See Curly Hair Solutions Website for a video). smasters awesome hair technique for hold.

Techniques that didn’t work and why: Overnight Plopping, my hair is too fine and thin. I looked like a bag lady.

Hair Twins: Rymorg2. Since I have different mixtures, I take a lot of info from different peeps! I like to steal info from Alex and xcptnl. Invu said she was going to stalk me :) LOL.

Additional Note and Disclaimer: I am a product junkie, I'm constantly trying new things. However, I will state that SS always makes it back into my routine. I, in some way use one of the SS products on a weekly basis. CJ Daily Fix is incredible, seriously.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2C on top layer, 2B bottom layer
    Texture: Medium
    Porosity: Medium
    Density: Medium
    Elasticity: Normal
    Characteristics: Less wavy on longer layers, no root curl

Hair ingredient likes: Sea Salt
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Protein
    Hard/Soft Water: Hard

HG/Go-to Products: DevaCare OneC, FSG, BRHG, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Co

Average climate/dew points: Dry

Fall/Winter combos:
    Spring/Summer combos:

Favorite styling techniques and why: Pixie Curl Diffusing (gave my better curls),
    Plopping in a microfiber turban (dries hair fast), scrunching in products (encourages curl),
    IceQueen method (leaves my hair shiny and soft)
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Pineappling left my hair flat

Hair Twins: None
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: Fia 2b/2c
    Texture: ??
    Porosity: Normal
    Density: Thin
    Elasticity: Normal
    Characteristics: Wave doesn't start until the top of my ear, lack of definition when I don't use product (kind of fly away-ish), curlier underneath than on canopy, simple routines and minimal products work best

CG/ModCG/not CG:
    CG

Hair ingredient likes: Honey
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Have to be careful with protein
    Hard/Soft Water:?

HG/Go-to Products: KCKT, Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries

Average climate/dew points: Humid and hot in spring and summer. Warm-ish to cool and sometimes humid in fall. Cold and kind of dry in winter.

Fall/Winter combos: Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries and honey rinse

Spring/Summer combos: Honey rinse

Favorite styling techniques and why: Raking product in while hair is sopping wet (better product distribution), scrunching out excess water (encourages curl), air drying (less frizz, less volume and more curl)

Super soaker. Pulled out wave, flat and limp.

Hair Twins: None that I know of yet. Still looking
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • INVUINVU Posts: 90Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2a/b/c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: High (due to coloring)
    Density: Normal or Medium not sure
    Elasticity: Low to Normal
    Characteristics: flat on top/no root curl; really have to encourage curls; weighs down easily; Dry; Frizzy without product; easy to straighten

CG/ModCG/not CG: no longer CG; my hair is a cone junkie unfortunately

Hair ingredient likes: Aloe, Protein, Cones
    Hair ingredient dislikes: oils, heavy creams, soap bars

Hard/Soft Water: I use a filter sooo ?

HG/Go-to Products: CK, KCKT, MOP LI, Deva Arc AnGell or BRHG

Average climate/dew points: High humidity summers, mild winters; dews...?

Fall/Winter combos: KCKT, Deva AnGell
    Spring/Summer combos: CK, BRHG or Deva AnGell
    Favorite styling techniques and why:
    Diffusing upside down (gives me better curls/volume)
    Scrunching in products (encourages curl)
    Blot with a t-shirt right out of shower (to hold some water/moisture in my hair)

Pineappling left my hair flat

Hair Twins: Goobernut!! Possibly Rymorg :love7:
  • motleyjmmotleyjm Posts: 168Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2b, 2c
    Characteristics: frizzy and weak curl pattern on canopy, much tighter waves underneath. Inconsistent - never looks the same 2 days in a row!

CG/ModCG/not CG: CG with low poo a couple times a week

Hair ingredient likes: protein

Hard/Soft Water: soft

HG/Go-to Products: Loreal Vive Nutri Gloss for curly/wavy hair, bioterra curl creme

Average climate/dew points:

Fall/Winter combos: Work in progress
    Spring/Summer combos: Work in progress

Favorite styling techniques and why: washing at night and sleeping with pineapple because it takes so long to dry. Clipping helps with root curl. Pixie diffusing! Diffusing used to be on my "didn't work" list, but now I love it. It gives me so much volume.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: too much scrunching - gives me stringy curls.

Hair Twins:
    2A (fine hair but a lot of it), High Porosity
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Rinse: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutrigloss (without cones)
    Leave-in: Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Potion
    Gel: HETT and HETMS spray gel
    Occasionally: Nexuss Emergencee protein treatment and Naked Naturals Smoothing Low Poo
  • NainaNaina Posts: 6Banned Users
    Curl Pattern: 2a
    Texture: Coarse
    Porosity: Low (that's a guess though ^^)
    Density: Medium/Thick
    Elasticity: Low
    Characteristics: It tends to be flippy :') And it has no root curl, but that doens't bother me, as long as it doesn't lay flat. Btw, I still brush it, because otherwise it gets really stringy.

CG/ModCG/not CG: ModCG

Hair ingredient likes: Glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, aloë vera, coconut oil, henna.
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Too much protein, almond oil, cones of course, anything drying.

Hard/Soft Water: Hard =(

HG/Go-to Products: Nivea Flexible Curls curlcreme, Karpati Paste Shape, Enliven conditioners, Logona Lava Power shampoo (Yes, those are only 4, couldn't think of anything else xD)

Average climate/dew points: Humid.

Fall/Winter combos: A little bit more oils.
    Spring/Summer combos: No oils, all humectants.

Favorite styling techniques and why: Super-soaker, because it really brings out my wave-pattern. Plopping, because it dries faster.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Too much scrunching, because it makes my hair go flippy. Diffusing, becaue it makes my hair look really dry and frizzy (and again flippy xD)
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    Texture: MED-Coarse
    Porosity: Low on crown-Med length
    Density: VERY Dense/thick
    Elasticity: normal I think...
    Characteristics: no root curl, heavy hair, hard to maintain style, prone to frizz,

Hair ingredient likes: Coconut/Honey/Behentrimonium Chloride & Methosulphate Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine
    Hair ingredient dislikes:/ Oil heavy products/SOAP BARS/ some proteins but it depends on the product.

Hard/Soft Water: Soft

HG/Go-to Products: Depends on the weather see my siggie but these are some faves: Curl Junkie and Spiral Solutions are my favorite lines CJ CIAB/CJ H&B Fix/CJ CFix/SS CEJ & FHG/SS Caitlin's condish/BRHG can not live without

Average climate/dew points: There is no Avg. in New Eng we get it ALL. Constantly rotating products to accommodate the weather.

Favorite styling techniques and why:Clipping/Pixie Diffuse to encourage curl

Techniques that didn’t work and why: Skip Curl, Super soaker washed out my products, too much brushing or combing all pulled out my waves

Hair Twin: Still Searching.......Kitara is the only one and she never posts anymore :(
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • PonyGirlPonyGirl Posts: 24Registered Users
    Hair Biography
    Curl Pattern: 2c (usually)
    Texture: on the medium side of fine
    Porosity: uber high
    Elasticity: normal
    Characteristics: wave is very easily pulled out, usually not much root wave, very irregular pattern with some "wurls"
    CG/ModCG/not CG: CG, at least for a while. my hair loved poo bars but hated low-poos.

Hair ingredient likes: lots and lots of protein!!! other than that it isn't at all picky.

Hard/Soft Water: very very hard

HG/Go-to Products: LVPNG, Suave Coconut, any cheapo CG gel (and lots of it), EcoStyler Krystal gel, FOTE

Average climate/dew points: very humid in summer, pretty dry in winter/ i don't keep up on the dews :confused1:

Fall/Winter combos: lots of LVPNG, GVP CB, and gel
    Spring/Summer combos: honey rinses, gel and FOTE

Favorite styling techniques and why: PLOPPING!!! Absolutely must plop for about 10-15 min. after heavily applying gel. After plop I scrunch in a little more, then let it dry and then sleep OTC., I also always always do the icequeen method.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: pineappling... I'm a wild sleeper and it bothered me...

Hair Twins: don't have one as of yet...
    2cMiii, overly porous, very thick

Co-wash: Suave Berry, sometimes Suave Coconut, add lemon occasionally
    Rinse-out: alternating: LVPNG, Suave Coconut, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: One of the rinse-outs
    Styling Products: Suave Basic Gel, FOTE!!, HESMU, an old gel called Curls Up that they don't make anymore :(, L.A. Looks Gel,
    Experimenting with (and loving :D ): Eco Styler Krystal Gel

Hair loves: the WINTER!!! protein, moisture, gels, lots of FOTE!! occasionally honey or lime rinses.
  • alyssa_kalyssa_k Posts: 51Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Texture: coarse
    Porosity: med (I'm assuming, since I haven't observed either extreme)
    Elasticity: high
    Characteristics: flat top/no root curl, heavy and lots of it, very prone to "poofing", prone to frizz

CG/ModCG/not CG: ModCG

Hair ingredient likes: haven't noticed anything specific yet
    Hair ingredient dislikes: certain alcohols (especially in conditioners)

Hard/Soft Water: neither

HG/Go-to Products: BRHG, HE SMU, LOOB, TIGI MM GTTT shampoo

Average climate/dew points: varies from day to day/season to season(Ontario, Canada)

Fall/Winter combos: I get lazy because of school and usually just wear it up with LOOB, bioterra gel or HE SMU (trying to change that this year)
    Spring/Summer combos: LOOB/Homemade jojoba gel, HE SMU and BRHG

Favorite styling techniques and why: putting on product in sections (only way to get all of my hair covered) and pixie-curl diffusing (more curl and quicker drying time)
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: any upside down-rinsing (gave me skin breakouts and have shied away every since) and scrunching in product (too much hair)

Hair Twins: don't know of any yet
    2cCiii
    Using: Testing new stuff :)
    :toothy6:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Texture: mixed, mostly coarse
    Porosity: med
    Density: medium-thick
    Elasticity: normal
    Characteristics: strong waves root to tip, very resistant to straightening and color, tends to frizz, straight hair underneath at nape.

CG/ModCG/not CG: Not CG, hair seems happier with weekly shampoo. I do avoid silicones and use a Lot of Conditioner.

Hair ingredient likes: Things with a little oil
    Hair ingredient dislikes: Some proteins make it like greasy straw, not sure which ones yet.

Hard/Soft Water: hard. Florida well water.

HG/Go-to Products: GFTriple Nutrition. Loreal Glossy Curls Gel.

Average climate/dew points: humid and hot, no idea of dew point.

Fall/Winter combos: Leave in, maybe curl cream, and gel
    Spring/Summer combos: Curl cream and gel

Favorite styling techniques and why: Overnight plop 'cause I do not have time to do hair in morning. Raking in gel in sections, then combing w wide tooth comb, before scrunch and plop, for even application and at least a chance at smooth and untangled. If there is time, diffusing most of the way then pineapple and satin cap for sleep works great too.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Washing in morning because it was wet ALL DAY at work. Scrunching in product because it doesn't get on most of the hair, and I end up combing it anyway because it looks tangled and messy.

Hair Twins ?
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Curl Pattern: Fia 2c
    Porosity: normally high but got low with henna andis now climbing back to higher porosity
    Characteristics: someroot curl, easy to straighten, can get weighed down but can generally take some heavier products pretty well. Canopy is wavy with ringlet's underneath so the curl pattern is very diverse. Not prone to frizz or poof--I want body!

Hair ingredient likes: Aloe Vera, Avocado, Coconut, protein, shea and cocoa butter, glycerin, biotin, panthenol,
    Hair ingredient dislikes: olive oil, BTMS in some products

Hard/Soft Water: Not sure (SoCal--likely medium)

HG/Go-to Products: BRHG, CJ Smoothing Gellee, Duchess of Curls, Sweet Nature by Eddie Inspiration Shampoo, Mop C Curl Creme, Abba Pure Finish Gel, DM MCCG

Average climate/dew points: Average. San Diego. Dews 40-70

Fall/Winter combos: DM Detangler/Leave in + Mop C Curl Creme + BRHG, CJCALI + DMMCCG + BRHG, KBB Milk + Darcy's Botanicals NCCJ + Abba Gel
    Spring/Summer combos: DOC + Abba Gel or BRHG
    , no leave in and any of my many curl creme's and Abba Gel or BRHG
    Favorite styling techniques and why: Icequeen gives me more curl and more body and volume, pixie diffuse helps with curl formation, clipping occasionally
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Super Soaker Method--flattended my curls

Hair Twins: Not sure
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • runnerchickirunnerchicki Posts: 475Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: FIA: 2cFii
    Texture: fine/medium
    Porosity: medium;high where highlighted
    Elasticity: normal;low where highlighted
    Characteristics: curlier on the canopy than underneath, gets curlier as it gets longer, forms long stretched out spirals, loves humidity

CG/ModCG/not CG: Mod

Hair ingredient likes: protein, honeyquat, aloe vera, agave nectar, botanical extracts

Hair ingredient dislikes: mineral oil, plastic polymers,

Hard/Soft Water: soft, it's mountain water

Average climate/dew points: dry, dews in winter: teens to low 20's, practically zero at times, dews in summer: ~20-30

Fall/Winter combos: co-wash/leave-in/curl enhancer/holding gel/hair butter to seal in moisture; PT & DT weekly

Spring/Summer combos: co-wash or low-poo/curl enhancer/holding gel; lots of protein

Favorite styling techniques and why: mix fave curl enhancer and gel into a nice cocktail and rake through wet hair; for clumpage add more water then do a mini-plop (use a t-shirt or soft towel to gently press hair to the head to remove excess water without disturbing curls too much); for volume diffuse upside down and scrunch away; Spritz with protein mist or moisture mist when hair needs a pick-me-up; pineapple at night; Flexi-8's for any up-do's including ponytails (doesn't break my hair)
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Air drying only (no volume) Full on plop: I think my hair is too short to plop right now, and my curls look all weird. Clipping my roots: because I'm "clip challenged" and cannot manage to do this without getting all tangled up in the clips. Rinsing upside down: water gets in my nose, and I don't see a difference from when I rinse standing straight up.

Hair Twins: wavy wonder (before the haircut)
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2a/2b/2c, 3a when healthy or when in a more humid climate
    Texture: fine/medium
    Porosity: medium;high where highlighted
    Elasticity: normal;low where highlighted
    Characteristics: curlier on the canopy than underneath, gets curlier as it gets longer, forms long stretched out spirals, loves humidity

Hair ingredient likes: aloe vera, panthenol, protein, shea butter, jojoba oil, avocado oil, coconut oil
    Hair ingredient dislikes: mineral oil, I think

Hard/Soft Water: soft (I think), it's mountain water

HG/Go-to Products: FSG (my own recipe), Aloe/water spritz, KBB Luscious Locks, the rest is a work in progress

Average climate/dew points: dry, dews in winter: teens to low 20's, practically zero at times, dews in summer: ~20-30

Fall/Winter combos: Suave Naturals/Ion Moisturizing Masque/KBB Hair Milk/FSG (for now)
    Spring/Summer combos: work in progress

Favorite styling techniques and why: Smooth conditioner over dry hair, then get in shower and co-wash; rake a ton of gel through when wet; gently scrunch by pressing hair to scalp with microfiber towel (like a mini-plop to absorb excess water and encourage curl); Spritz with aloe/water when hair needs a pick-me-up; pineapple at night; Flexi-8's for any up-do's including ponytails (doesn't break my hair)
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Full on plop: I think my hair is too short to plop right now, and my curls look all weird. Clipping my roots: because I'm "clip challenged" and cannot manage to do this without getting all tangled up in the clips. Rinsing upside down: water gets in my nose, and I don't see a difference from when I rinse standing straight up.

Hair Twins: wavy wonder

see highlighted.
    I am much curlier underneath than on top.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I am much curlier on top than I am underneath, which apparently is opposite to most people.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • currlybirdcurrlybird Posts: 33Registered Users
    Curl Pattern: 2c/b
    Porosity: at least medium
    Density: dense (2 strands growing out of each follicle, I'm told)
    Elasticity: pretty high
    Characteristics: flat top, BSL, tends to poof and frizz, longer layers curliest (or more ringletty), s-waves and some spirals/not uniform, tends toward dryness but much improved since finding the right routine and sticking with it

Hair ingredient likes: not sure, just know which products work or don't
    Hair ingredient dislikes: WIND! (is that an ingredient?) -- dries it out & makes it frizz and poof

Hard/Soft Water: hard

HG/Go-to Products: Found a local Deva stylist recently who's terrific so now using all Deva: No Poo, One Condish, Arc Angel, SIF, Mirror Curls (for shine and frizz control)
    Average climate/dew points: average So Calif. dew pts. but coastal climate can vary drastically from coastal fog to inland dry heat (when good hair days go bad?)

Fall/Winter combos: Products I'm using seem to work year-round but we don't drastic seasonal differences here
    Spring/Summer combos: I'll see what happens this summer with the humidity

Favorite styling techniques and why: Ice Queen method! Other than that, pretty classic CG methods-- squeezing dripping wet hair with hands, then immediately scrunch in SIF and Arc AnGEL, blot with t-shirt, clip crown hair with small clips, air dry as long as possible, at least an hour, then minimal pixie diffuse.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: plopping, pineapple, too much diffusing makes frizz. The less I mess the better.

Hair Twins: ?? Still looking. (I'll try to post a pic soon, maybe it'll look familiar.)
    2C - fine but lots of it, porous.
    Religiously CG since Sept. 2008
    Products: for cowash/condish mostly Deva but about to try CJ; lately loving BRHG, new Deva Foam
    gekko422 wrote: »
    I am much curlier on top than I am underneath, which apparently is opposite to most people.
    I wish I was curlier on top. It's like a waste of curl;) underneath.
  • peaches1975peaches1975 Posts: 211Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern:2aFii
    Texture: baby-fine to fine
    Porosity: low to low-normal
    Density: I have a LOT of hair, but medium ponytail
    Characteristics: flat top/no root curl, easy to straighten, prone to frizz and lacks volume

CG/ModCG/not CG: mostly CG (occasionally use ApHogee 2-Step) and currently investigating low/no-poos due to hard water

Hair ingredient likes: protein, oils/butter (especially coconut oil and shea butter)
    Hair ingredient dislikes: straight olive oil

Hard/Soft Water: hard

HG/Go-to Products: FSG, EcoStyler Krystal. Still working on a HG harder hold gel. La Bella Ultimate Hold has the best hold/root lift, but producty feeling. But your hair will stand up for days...literally.

Average climate/dew points: just moved here to the SE GA coast, but they are like N. FL (humid)

Fall/Winter combos: Still working on this. I either get great volume but more frizz than I want, or shine and no volume nor hold.

Favorite styling techniques and why: Spritz & Condish; modified icequeen method (for LIs and styling, not in the shower); SSM for products like EcoStyler; pixiecurl diffusing for volume and curl enhancement
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Plopping. I still use it, but that's just because it gets my hair out of my face so I can do my makeup. Air drying is good for my hair's health, but not for root lift.

Hair Twins: Working on it!

11-13-2009 Edited to add elasticity
    12-2-2009 Edited to change CG status
    2aFii, low porosity, :love4: protein!
    Color treated (blonde, but darned grays!)
    COwash: Suave, V05, Salon Care Honey Almond
    CO: GVPCB, LVNPG, GFTN, HSH Pumpkin, Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    DTs: Lustrasilk SM, GVPCB
    PTs: Aphogee 2-step, ION Effective Care inbetween
    LIs/Stylers: Any of my COs, FSG, EcoStyler Krystal, LOOC, shea butter to SOTC

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeaches1975%2F" class="Popup
  • waterlilywaterlily Posts: 39Registered Users
    Hair Biography

Curl Pattern: 2a, some b?
    Porosity: med
    Elasticity: low/normal
    Characteristics: flat top/no root curl, easy to straighten or encourage waves, blonde hilights and lowlights in front and crown (natural underneath), weak wave pattern.

CG/ModCG/not CG: Just beginning a ModCG. (last week) I am a total newbie and I read this site every day for help. I am off silicones which is hard for me because I truly miss my Garnier Fructis pomade for finishing. But I hate that it is next to impossible to wash out.

Hair ingredient likes: silicone
    Hair ingredient dislikes: silicone

Hard/Soft Water:? I am on city water.

HG/Go-to Products: currently enjoying Live Clean Fresh Water shampoo, Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss/curly hair conditioner, Alberto Moussing Gel/curls, Loreal Studio Architect texturizing wax, Tresemme extra hold hairspray.

Average climate/dew points: humid in summer, dry in winter (Canada)

Fall/Winter combos:
    Spring/Summer combos:

Favorite styling techniques and why:Plopping - I just learned about this and it's giving me waves at the roots! But my hair must be VERY wet and have product in it first. Then I diffuse my hair upright but gently so as to not get too frizzy.
    Techniques that didn’t work and why: Not ready to do the co-wash thing yet, I think I still have to eliminate some hidden silicones. 2nd day hair will never happen for me! I love the idea but my hair is a flattened mess in the morning.

Hair Twins: Would love to find one. I saw kelneran's photo and my hair looks and sounds very similar. Since I am new I need lots of advice and I will be back with questions, thank you!
    my hair:
    2a/b, fine-haired but lots of it, highlighted on top/front, shoulder length, trying to balance out frizziness versus flatness.

products I use:
    low poo - Live Clean Wave Enhancing or Giovanni 50:50
    conditioner - LaCoupe Colour Rescue, Joico KPak for protein deep treat once/wk
    styling - AG Recoil, HESMU gel, Loreal Studio Architect Wax, Tresemme tres two hairspray

modified cg since November '09
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    gekko422 wrote: »

+2

I am straighter-underneath, as is another lady at my work.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!