So frustrated! UPDATE

CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Registered Users Posts: 6,343
Are you on the honor system regarding your timesheet?

We get paid hourly here. I am in charge of handing the hours in every week. I am VERY honest with my own timesheet, and everybody else sends me their hours. It's not up to me to keep track of THEIR time, but I can't help noticing things. (Like people coming in 2 hours late every day. Leaving early. Taking 2 hour lunches.)

There is one girl who is a supervisor (of four other workers.) She is about an hour late every day. Her clients will call and get mad at the rest of us because she's never around when they call. However, she's VERY strict when other people are late.

(She's my age, by the way, and I think on a huge power trip because she's a supervisor.)

This week, she was probably an hour late every day, took long lunches and left at the strike of 6.

Today I had to get the timesheet in by 10 AM because of the holiday. I asked the boss of the whole office, "Emily's not here...but I need to put the timesheet in...should I just put her down for 40 hours?"

Boss: Well, she's over an hour late now, and was late other times this week, so she's missing hours and shouldn't get paid for them. Put her down for 40 and take them out of next week's timesheet.

I submitted the timesheet with 40 hours for her.

She didn't come in until 10:45.

I said, "I had to get the timesheet in by ten, so I just put you down for 40 hours this week."

She gives me this nasty, condescending look and goes, "Um, but I worked 5.5 hours overtime this week. Can you change it?"

I KNOW it has nothing to do with me, but it makes me STEEEEEEEEEEAM.

Last Friday, she called at 10:30 and said, "I don't feel well, I'm going to sleep for another hour or two and then come in."

Calls again at 12:30.

"I might be in around 3 or 4."

Calls at 3:30.

"I'm not coming in today."

She also has a good friend at work who pulls the same tricks.

Granted, the two head bosses aren't exactly enforcing rules, but it just makes me really bad to see people blow off their responsibilities like this. I've always had a strong work ethic, no matter where I was working, and the fact that someone like HER gets promotions... :x :x :x

Is this typical? Do things like this go on all the time in offices?

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, that's pretty bad. The people in my office aren't clock-watchers at all, but it's nowhere near what you're describing. We enter our own time too, and nobody cares if you're late here and there, take a longer lunch, or leave a little early. I wouldn't dare try to pull what you're co-worker is doing though.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Wow, that's pretty bad. The people in my office aren't clock-watchers at all, but it's nowhere near what you're describing. We enter our own time too, and nobody cares if you're late here and there, take a longer lunch, or leave a little early. I wouldn't dare try to pull what you're co-worker is doing though.

Yep. My department is the most lax in the school (Info Tech Svcs) and many of us don't come in until up to 12:00 some days. We don't really document all of our hours, but we do end up working late many times and don't account for those hours either. I am usually late, but will often work through lunch to personally account for the time, even if nobody is tracking me.
    That chick needs a reality check. That won't hold up in most workplaces!
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Registered Users Posts: 6,343
    Should I say something to my boss about this??? I am torn. I don't want it to get back to them that I said something, but at the same time, my boss TOLD me that both girls didn't work 40 hours this week (Her friend was late today too and put herself down for 41 hours. Her r) But, magically, they both said they worked over 40 hours. I couldn't fight them about it...so confused/annoyed.

Her friend is, no exaggeration, two hours late EVERY DAY. She has a child, but she lives at home with her parents and they take care of her while she's at work, and I hear that she was just as tardy before her maternity leave, so she can't even blame the kid!
  • PoochiePoochie Registered Users Posts: 315 Curl Connoisseur
    I understand your dilemma. But... is it your job to document/ keep track of everyone else's hours, or simply to hand in what is reported to you? If the latter is true, then if these people are falsifying their hours, it is their transgression and not yours. If you're not sure which one is your job description, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to ask the boss about it and you wouldn't even have to mention any names.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    Poochie wrote:
    I understand your dilemma. But... is it your job to document/ keep track of everyone else's hours, or simply to hand in what is reported to you? If the latter is true, then if these people are falsifying their hours, it is their transgression and not yours. If you're not sure which one is your job description, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to ask the boss about it and you wouldn't even have to mention any names.
    I agree.
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    Why not go to your boss, and tell her that you know she said she worked under 40 hours, but the girl claimed to have worked overtime, so you wanted to know what you're supposed to do.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    Today I had to get the timesheet in by 10 AM because of the holiday. I asked the boss of the whole office, "Emily's not here...but I need to put the timesheet in...should I just put her down for 40 hours?"

Boss: Well, she's over an hour late now, and was late other times this week, so she's missing hours and shouldn't get paid for them. Put her down for 40 and take them out of next week's timesheet.

When she asked you to add her overtime, you should have mentioned that the boss thought she had worked less than 40 hours and she would need to take that out of the next week. Then you should tell her to take it up with the boss.

I also agree that you should straighten out your job description with the boss.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
    Oh, it's DEFINITELY not my job to keep track, just to send it all to the payroll department.

I WISH I had said something, but that girl is such a **** and just walked in and I knew she'd be really nasty to me if I said anything.

I think I'm just going to send my boss the timesheet (he never sees it) and let him see that these two gave themselves about ten extra hours a person and let him do with that information as he wants.
    Oh, it's DEFINITELY not my job to keep track, just to send it all to the payroll department.

I WISH I had said something, but that girl is such a &%$@#! and just walked in and I knew she'd be really nasty to me if I said anything.

I think I'm just going to send my boss the timesheet (he never sees it) and let him see that these two gave themselves about ten extra hours a person and let him do with that information as he wants.

I would actually speak to him in person, not just send it.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

• ScarletScarlet Registered Users Posts: 3,125 Curl Neophyte
    If it's not your job to keep track of when people come in and leave, then I think you should ignore it. However, if you run into another situation like today where she asks you to change the entry (which your boss told you to make) tell her that you're sorry, but she'll have to talk to your boss about that.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • ScarletScarlet Registered Users Posts: 3,125 Curl Neophyte
    And by the way, it seems the boss does realize what's going on. It'll catch up with these folks... eventually.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    ITA w/ Scarlet...ah, karma...
  • wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Registered Users Posts: 1,728 Curl Neophyte
    The people you work with don't know how lucky they are. My friend works in a FedEx call center and has to clock in and out even for 15 minute breaks. Now that's a little much! But now I can see where companies might want to do that when people abuse the honor system.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Do you e-mail the timesheets to payroll? Maybe you can start CC-ing your boss on the e-mails just to make him aware of what you're sending in, since you said he never sees them.

For my job I get paid hourly and have to submit a timesheet, and I'm super-honest on it. If I'm even 5 minutes late I'll put that I came in at 8:05, and then I'll make up the 5 minutes at lunchtime or by staying late.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    Thanks for the replies...

Pixie, I think I AM going to start CC-ing him. I can just say, "I thought you would like to take a look at this..." and just glancing at it and seeing the hours these two put themselves down speaks for itself. It's RIDICULOUS.

I'm a little concerned because two of my coworkers (two of the four who have to report directly to this supervisor...I don't) are talking about her on their MySpaces. (Yeah, I know, can you believe we're all adults?)

I understand how frustrated they are, since they feel the burn of her never being around more than the rest of us...but MySpace is public and this is a young woman who can very easily surf on MySpace herself and see what they're writing.

(I don't share with them what hours anyone give me, but they were sitting right there yesterday when she told me she worked 5.5 hours overtime.)

One coworker wrote in another coworker's comments section:

Time Sheet for the Week of 8/28-9/1

Monday: got in at 10:15, took 2 hour lunch, left at 4.

Tuesday: same

Wednesday: got in around 9:28, took an 1.5 hour lunch, came back. took 35 minute 7-11
    break. left at 3:30.

Thursday: got in at 11, left for lunch at 1, got back at 3:30. left at 5.

Friday: called out "sick."

Total hours: 57.25 hours.

Which is pretty much accurate! :roll:

I told them they should take that down in case she sees it.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Just thought of something else - is there any remote chance that she comes back to get some work done at night? Like maybe she's a night owl and works best when no one else is in the office? I know when I have a lot of work to get done I prefer to do it late in the day or on weekends when customers won't be calling and bugging me.

It's a long shot, but a slight possibility.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote:
    Just thought of something else - is there any remote chance that she comes back to get some work done at night? Like maybe she's a night owl and works best when no one else is in the office? I know when I have a lot of work to get done I prefer to do it late in the day or on weekends when customers won't be calling and bugging me.

It's a long shot, but a slight possibility.

Definitely definitely definitely not! :lol: She works a second job at night. She walks away at 6 (or before then) and never looks back!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I agree it's not your job to monitor time just to record it. Buy why aren't the managers/supervisors signing off on timesheets? That's a pretty lax workplace. I'll take a job there if I can come in at 10:30 and claim overtime. :P

Have you talked to your supervisor about what you've noticed? I'm not suggesting you rat out anyone, but express your concerns and suggest that maybe it would be increase productivity if direct reports had their time sheets approved by their managers?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Karenmc3 wrote:
    I agree it's not your job to monitor time just to record it.

Everyone keeps saying that, but when her boss has expressly told her that he/she knows this woman was late and worked fewer than 40 hours. So telling the boss that this supervisor has asked her to put more hours than that is appropriate, because if not she's going directly against what her boss told her. It IS her job to follow her boss' directions, even if they're not directly in her job description. It's NOT in her job to ignore her boss and aid someone cheating the company. She could plead ignorance at other times, but not for this past week.
    -Speckla

Karenmc3 wrote:
    I agree it's not your job to monitor time just to record it. Buy why aren't the managers/supervisors signing off on timesheets?

Exactly!!!! I don't know why either! I discussed this with my mom and she couldn't believe that they just let me send it to payroll without ok-ing it either.

It bugs me, because it took me a LONG time to find a job in this community, and I think it was because people are reluctant to hire outside of NYC because they're worried about people being late and stuff. I have a helluva commute every day and have been on time every single day for the past six months. This girl LIVES IN MANHATTAN and comes in late every day. It's ridiculous.

I am also so sick of dealing with her clients. Last Friday, when she kept calling every two hours and saying she wasn't sure she was coming in, I had so many people snap at me because she wasn't around. They're sick of hearing, "She is at a meeting" and stuff and I am sick of lying! :x
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    NetG wrote:
    Karenmc3 wrote:

Everyone keeps saying that, but when her boss has expressly told her that he/she knows this woman was late and worked fewer than 40 hours. So telling the boss that this supervisor has asked her to put more hours than that is appropriate, because if not she's going directly against what her boss told her. It IS her job to follow her boss' directions, even if they're not directly in her job description. It's NOT in her job to ignore her boss and aid someone cheating the company. She could plead ignorance at other times, but not for this past week.

I re-read CanItBeChristine's post. CanItBeChristine did what her boss told her to. She was smart enough to go to the boss to say this woman wasn't here and she had no record of her hours.

However, I still think this is an issue between management and the slacker. The boss already knew this woman was late and told CanItBeChristine to put in 40 hours. If the slacker wants to record different hours she needs to talk with the boss. Then it's in the boss' court to take corrective action.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Yes, this week I told her that it was too late and I had already sent in the timesheet with 40 hours on it. I didn't argue with her that she didn't work 45.5 hours, just said it was too late. I know she expects it to be added on to next week's timesheet.

(Sorry this is probably confusing.)

...but it's a weekly occurence and I am DEFINITELY showing my boss the timesheet from now on and he can do what it as he sees fit!

It's just very frustrating to those of us who are there on time every day and picking up the work when THEY don't show up!

She is also very "strict" about making sure people ask for a vacation day very far in advance and getting it "approved" (by her!).

However, when I got the timesheet from two weeks ago, she put herself down for a vacation day that Friday she kept calling in. (Because she's used all her sick days because she is never here!)

I swear, WHO PROMOTED THIS GIRL??????????? :roll:
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    Perhaps you could ask your boss to look at and approve the timesheets before you turn them in. I'm sure she/he would be happy to since she/he is aware of this problem employee.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Registered Users Posts: 5,633 Curl Connoisseur
    Nobody signs the timesheets? Usually a manager has to sign off on timesheets.

Does your company bill a client for hours worked? That can make a difference and could be a crime if someone is lying about time worked.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
    Karenmc3 wrote:
    NetG wrote:
    Karenmc3 wrote:

I re-read CanItBeChristine's post. CanItBeChristine did what her boss told her to. She was smart enough to go to the boss to say this woman wasn't here and she had no record of her hours.

However, I still think this is an issue between management and the slacker. The boss already knew this woman was late and told CanItBeChristine to put in 40 hours. If the slacker wants to record different hours she needs to talk with the boss. Then it's in the boss' court to take corrective action.

Right-she put in the 40 hours she was told to. However, just staying out of it and waiting until timesheets go in next week is expressly ignoring the fact that her boss said she'd have to adjust downward and this supervisor is telling her that she is going to have to add overtime. She should tell her boss about that fact.
    -Speckla

I said something!

I emailed my boss this morning with:

Ed,

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. I would feel a lot more comfortable if I could send the timesheet to you every week before I send it to Payroll. Sometimes people’s hours seem very off (it’s hard not to notice people coming in two hours late, taking breaks, leaving on time and then saying that they worked 40-plus hours.) We had a couple of issues with this on Friday. I know it’s not my job to keep track of people’s hours, but I would feel better if you or Jack could look at the timesheet first and if anybody’s hours seem way off, then you can deal with it the way you want.

Thanks!

Christine

My boss, who I like a lot, called me into his office to talk to him and said he had no idea that these two were giving themselves overtime every week. (Personally, I think he should have!!!) He told me it's not my job to keep track of hours, but that I should let him know how late they are coming in each day and he'll take it up with them and HR if it gets worse.

I also told him that I had been stressing out over this and really didn't want to be a "snitch" but I felt I had to say something after what happened on Friday. He told me I did the right thing.
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    I'm glad everything worked out for you.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Good for you! :)
  • goldilocks777goldilocks777 Registered Users Posts: 1,020
    I think you made the right decision. The only people that will think of you as a "snitch" are those who are being dishonest about their hours.

What's going on in your workplace is *ridiculous*, since people are paid hourly.
    Good job!

Glad to hear it sounds like it'll work out for you.
    -Speckla

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file