salt in fsg

laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Ok so I would like to make flax seed gel with sea salt in it. I have done this before but the gel did not come out as thick as I would have liked. So, I was wondering when the best time to add it was.

The first time I added it while the water was boiled but before I added the flax seeds. I don't know how much I added but the water tasted sufficiently salty. The gel came out thick enough to be usable, but not as thick as I would have liked. Any suggestions?

Comments

• belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Sorry I have bad news. Salt can affect the viscosity (how thick a gel gets) of a product. Unfortunately, you may never get the gel as thick as you would like if you definitely want to have salt in the recipe.

You can play with your recipe though. To thicken it up you can reboil the strained gel. Lots of people have success with this method of thickening. You can also add one pinch of xanthum gum at a time until desired consistency. But again, salt will affect this thickness of any gel.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file