Cassia curl reviver?

AmortentsiaAmortentsia Posts: 8Registered Users
Hi there!

I've been using Henna to color my hair for years, and I desperately need to redo it soon. My issue is that since I've been using the henna, my curls have totally relaxed, and I want them back and sproingy!! I've read on the Henna for Hair website/forums that Cassia can be used to bring the life back to curls and/or keep henna from relaxing them.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get my sproing back? (lol)

Thanks!!
Curl Type: 3a/3b mix
Hair Texture: Thick, smooth, elastic; medium porosity
Hair Length: between the shoulder blades

My hair likes: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle; FOTE/Aloe Vera Gel; Aussie Sprunch.

Currently Battling: dry, itchy scalp (and skin in general)

Comments

• SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I haven't heard of cassia having that effect; I was under the impression that it had a similar effect to henna but without the color.

Amla is supposed to restore curl...I just ordered some from Mehandi.com and am planning to try a treatment tonight. I'll update when I do and let you know if it worked. Henna has relaxed my hair slightly -- at first it was significantly straighter but it has since started waving and curling again. However, I won't be doing any more full-head applications as I don't want to go darker, I'm just going to henna my roots from now on.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    Update: I did an amla treatment -- I mixed it with water, heated in the microwave per the instructions, let it cool and worked it into my hair. I covered with plastic wrap then wrapped my head in a towel to keep it warm. Left it on for 30 minutes and I'm pleased to say it brought back my spirals.

I only did 30 minutes as I was short on time; the instructions said to leave it for 30 minutes for wavy hair and 1 hour for curls. Next time I'll try it for an hour and see what happens.

It did not have any effect on the color of my hair, at least not that I could tell.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • Khadija.D.CarrylKhadija.D.Carryl Posts: 68Registered Users
    For maintaining the curls of your hair, yes you can use amla powder to your henna recipe to bring them back.

Keep in mind that amla powder does tone down the red of henna though, so if you really want color, make sure you use a good henna powder like Yemeni henna. It's also very acidic so you can omit the lemon juice if you do that. Lemon juice can br drying anyhow, and warm water is a better choice as it won't dry you out as much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file