adding preservatives..

When using preservatives (grape seed oil, vitamin e, etc) how much should one use in a hot oil treatment vs a body scrub vs a hair gel, etc.

How do you all use them?

Comments

• holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    drbey2003 wrote: »
    When using preservatives (grape seed oil, vitamin e, etc) how much should one use in a hot oil treatment vs a body scrub vs a hair gel, etc.

How do you all use them?

Hi,grape seed oil isn't a preservative.Grape fruit seed extract(GSE) is a preservative.GSE that has 60% GSE and 40% vegetable glycerine is the best one.The usage rate is (0.5-1%).

In case you don't know rosemary oil extract (best one to get is undiluted) is the preservative not rosemary oil.Usage rate for the undiluted one is (0.15-0.5%) and for diluted use (1-5%)

I haven't use these expensive lol natural preservatives as yet but I do have tea tree oil.

You can put any amount of natural preservatives in your products as long as you don't go over the usage rate for each one.

I read somewhere that products with more water,complex ingrediants,and proteins needs more preservatives than other products .I'm not sure if there is a total amount limit of preservatives that people should use in their products.Anti-oxidants like vit e oil pervents oils from going rancid but you'll need a pervservative (GSE) that can kill germs for herb infusion oils.

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/preservatives.asp
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Rosemary oil extract and vitamin e oil are not preservatives, they are antioxidants which in general help keep oil based products fresh.

You don't need a preservative for hot oil treatments that contain only oils. (If you notice many oil only products don't contain a preservative at all). However, you can add (0.5% by volume) of vitamin e oil to keep the oils from going rancid. However, even the oils with the shortest shelf life don't go rancid before 6 months. The exception is hemp seed oil which can go bad in 4 weeks, but if you keep it in the fridge it will last about 6 months. There may be other oils with short shelf lives, but in general the most common oils that curlies use don't go bad for 6mo-2 years.

If you make herbal oil infusions with dried herbs you do not need a preservative. Dried herbs have all the water removed which is why you don't need preservatives. It is water that cause bacteria, mold and fungus in most products to grow. For herbal infusions that are made with fresh herbs you can use GSE at 6 drops per oz. That is the recommendation that is on the GSE website. This same quanitity can be used for any natural product you make, including FSG. However, be warned that GSE is not as effective as many of the commercial preservatives. You should make sure you only make enough product which you can use up quickly even if preserving with GSE.

Bath salts do not need any preservatives. Salt is not an effective enviornment for bacteria, mold or fungus to grow. Notice that most commercial bath salts and salt scrubs do not have preservative.

Sugar scrubs however do need a preservative. You can try using 6 drops per ounce. Mix the GSE into the liquid portion of the scrub very well prior to adding the equal volume of sugar.

In general if you are using the products within a short time and if you keep them refrigerated, you don't need preservatives.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • drbey2003drbey2003 Posts: 24Registered Users
    Thank you both so so so much. I'm doing some experimenting and I want to make sure to just make enough to be used once or twice....that way nothing goes bad. However, I def want to use preservatives just in case. You have been so helpful :)
  • Akua WoodAkua Wood Posts: 23Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »
    Rosemary oil extract and vitamin e oil are not preservatives, they are antioxidants which in general help keep oil based products fresh.

ITA.

Preservatives preserve against mould [water based] whilst anti-oxidants (vit. e, ROE) slow down oxidisation [oil based]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file