We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Question about permanent color

KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am in a slight panic mode right now. Ok, I lied, full panic mode! :shock: I used a permanent (loreal Preference) to lighten my hair. I went from light ash brown to dark ash blonde, figuring the actual color will be somewhere in between. Well, the color seems to have turned out lighter than the box! I'm not sure at this point if it's the lighting, but it looks way lighter than I intended. I used to dye my hair very dark, and even with permanent dyes the color always faded after a few months. So here's my question: As this color fades, will my hair get a bit darker? My understanding was that these dyes deposit color, but don't "bleach" the actual hair color. Am I correct or am I going to have to dye it darker? I already feel bad about damaging my hair, I'd hate to damage it even more.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I don't want to alarm you- but it's been my experience that dyes always fade to a lighter color. I don't know if it's my hair, or if it's the same for those of us with really dark hair vs people with lighter hair... maybe someone else has had a different experience. But if there is ammonia or peroxide in the dye, it's going to lift the natural color at least a little bit.

When did you color your hair? I would give it a few days, if you haven't already. See how the color "settles" once your hair comes out of "shock". Hey, maybe you'll start to like it once you get used to it! Anyway, if you do decide to color it darker, you should wait at least a few weeks in order to minimize damage.

Good luck!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, I'm in an all out panic now. It's even lighter than it was last night. i can't stand it. It's a 3 day weekend, so I'm going to give it a few more days and dye it back. I won't be able to stand it for any longer than that. I feel like such a complete idiot. I love my hair color, I always have. And even since I found this site and started taking good care of my hair, it has looked bautiful. Why did I have to ruin it? It's not curling as much today either. I used to starighten everyday and dye my hair all the time, so I know my hair will bounce back. I just feel so stupid for taking such a step backwards. :oops:

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users
    Bailey, any updates? What did you wind up doing? How is it now?
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F54501272%40N04%2F" class="Popup
    Website: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthycurls.net" class="Popup
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for asking! It's mostly fixed now, thankfully, so I can leave the color alone for a while. Thanks to Colorsilk Dark Brown, I am no longer a blonde. :D I was trying to really concentrate the color on my roots, where it was the lightest, so I felt like I didn't have enough color to evenly coat all my hair. I'll do it again in a few weeks and do a more even application. It's really not bad though. The differences in color aren't that noticeable, except to me b/c I'm an anal perfectionist. :wink: When it's curly, you can't even tell it wasn't done that way on purpose. I still wish I hadn't messed with my color because I don't really want to start coloring again, but I do like my hair dark like this. The Colorsilk didn't really seem too damaging either.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file