chocolate covered orange peel

JA1813JA1813 Registered Users Posts: 8
Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate covered orange peel? Several people have mentioned them to me in the last few days but I can't find a recipe anywhere!

Thanks!
Today is whatever I want it to mean.
-- Beth Orton

Comments

• Nacho_MommaNacho_Momma Registered Users Posts: 28
    Here's one.....haven't tried it tho:CANDIED ORANGE PEEL

2 cup Sugar (as 1 cup + 1 cup)
    3/4 cup Water
    3 tbsp Corn Syrup (light)

Peel of (choose one):
    3 Oranges
    2 Grapefruit
    6 Lemons

PREPARE THE PEEL

Peel the fruit into large strips which should include the zest (colored outer peel) and white. Excessive white peel should be removed a moderate amount should remain. Place the peel into a saucepan or frying pan and add water until covered. Bring to a simmer for 30 minutes. Drain, cover with cold water, and bring to a simmer until the peel is tender. Drain and cut the peel into thin strips about 1/4" wide and 2-3 inches long.

PREPARE THE SYRUP

Mix 1 cup of sugar with the corn syrup and water in a 3 quart saucepan and dissolve over a medium-low heat. Add the sliced peel and cook under low heat until most of the syrup has been taken up. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand overnight.

THE NEXT DAY

Return to heat and bring to a simmer, then cool slightly and drain. Spread out newspaper and cover with a couple of layers of paper towels. Spread out the remaining sugar and roll the warm peels until thoroughly covered. Let them stand uncovered until dry. Store in an airtight container. Lasts months.

NOTE: Excellent taste and easy to prepare but it takes time. Consider making a double batch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file