Styles for hair that won't hold a style?

3jen3jen Posts: 2Registered Users
I feel like I'm spending too much time styling my DD's hair lately. She has very shrinky 4A coils but they have a silky texture that won't hold a style and any braids, twists etc look really fluffy/fuzzy after about three days, especially in summer with the humidity.

She's 5 and to avoid her crying over tangles I've kept her hair in about 16 individual braids which I take down, no-poo, and re-braid one at a time once a week. Her hair is in awesome condition (been no-pooing for 4 years) and very long (to her waist when pulled) but it takes 90 minutes to do this, and to me, spending 90 minutes a week on a 5 year old's hair is too much. It's not like she's a tv star or anything! I trimmed off several inches in early summer to see if that shortened the time, but no real difference.

Any suggestions for styles that will hold better? Or that are quicker to do but will prevent tangling? Or products that will hold a style without buildup? Fortunately she's vain so she doesn't mind having her hair styled as much as some 5 year olds might, but I'm going to get carpal tunnel syndrom from all this braiding.

She'd love to wear it in a big fro if she could, and that does look great on her, but it tangles like crazy and then there are lots of tears.

Styles? Products? Ideas? I'd love any help and I'm all ears!

Jen

Comments

• *Jane**Jane* Posts: 18Registered Users
    Sounds like you're doing a great job with your little one's hair so far! And I'm so happy to hear of a paretn who hasn't succumbed to texturizing their toddler's hair. I think that's thee biggest mistake parents make, but you really do seem to have it down to a science.

I think when it comes to proper hair care time isn't really an issue, and i can assure you when she's old enough to take care of her tresses herself, she will thank you for the time and effort you made.... And the protective styling practices you are implementing now, will carry over into her teen and adult years and when she has her own little-ones... So you are already reinforcing great habits.

Maybe a teensy bit of styling gel will help to set her twists so they will last longer.
    You can try Suave Professionals Biobasics to help with detangling. And you can even try protective cleansing, cleansing her hair in flat-plaits may help with tangles during cleansing...

ETA: I nearly forgot, there are a few interesting kid's styling books that you might like, One is by Michele N-K Collison
    (It's All good Hair...children's styling guide )and the other is by
    Jim Jordan (Hair Syling Tips and Tricks for girls)

HTH!
    3d4a-z Coily [x-dry]-
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 177Registered Users
    3jen wrote:
    I feel like I'm spending too much time styling my DD's hair lately. She has very shrinky 4A coils but they have a silky texture that won't hold a style and any braids, twists etc look really fluffy/fuzzy after about three days, especially in summer with the humidity.

She's 5 and to avoid her crying over tangles I've kept her hair in about 16 individual braids which I take down, no-poo, and re-braid one at a time once a week. Her hair is in awesome condition (been no-pooing for 4 years) and very long (to her waist when pulled) but it takes 90 minutes to do this, and to me, spending 90 minutes a week on a 5 year old's hair is too much. It's not like she's a tv star or anything! I trimmed off several inches in early summer to see if that shortened the time, but no real difference.

Any suggestions for styles that will hold better? Or that are quicker to do but will prevent tangling? Or products that will hold a style without buildup? Fortunately she's vain so she doesn't mind having her hair styled as much as some 5 year olds might, but I'm going to get carpal tunnel syndrom from all this braiding.

She'd love to wear it in a big fro if she could, and that does look great on her, but it tangles like crazy and then there are lots of tears.

Styles? Products? Ideas? I'd love any help and I'm all ears!

Jen

when i was little my mom would do my hair every two days..... but simpler styles.... then i would usually sleep at night with a stocking cap to extend the style to a second day

have you considered alternating the following styles - cornrows, larger braids (4, for example) and the front can be braided into the back ones, occasional ponytail/pigtails

what do you put in it before you make the afro...... did you try putting in a really good leave in before.... and then maybe putting it in two very loose braids to sleep at night

have you also considered doing much smaller braids (or having someone else do them) that can last a month.... like mini-micros without the extensions might end up taking 2-3 hours to do but THEN you can wash and (lightly) condition your hair in this state and then no worries about detangling after each wash and then you can still style the braids.... and then after taking it out (if desired) she can even have a braid out

also have you tried twists with braided ends (to make them stay).... would be much faster
    4a/4b tiny penspring curls
    Lifelong natural i.e. never relaxed

hair growth journey
    http://public.fotki.com/boboleta/
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    If you add up the time it takes someone to do that much hair on a daily basis, I think you're doing good at 90 mins a week.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 177Registered Users
    If you add up the time it takes someone to do that much hair on a daily basis, I think you're doing good at 90 mins a week.

yes but her concern was strain on her arms - doing short stretches during the week and/or one big marathon braiding session once a month - you're still saving time
    especially the marathon small braids..... i know from personal experience

and if she did small twists she could probably do the whole head 1-2h and keep that for the month

and do half head one day...... the other half a second day

there is a nice website that has lots of styling ideas and explains how long you can stretch things

http://www.roshini.net/
    she has so many ideas here from high to low maintenance....... some styles stretching to 6 weeks or so, maybe more

and really the microbraids with natural hair only can stay in 3 months easily that's how i wore my hair
    hairline does not get damaged b/c extensions are not adding the weight.......
    it would take 2-3h to put in....... longer to take out depending who was doing it and how long braids were in 2.5-5h.... so at most you have 8h spread over 3 months..... and in between there's no worrying at all

you can swim, play whatever

twisting a thick head of natural hair and braiding the ends 2h - i didn't do that but had a friend who did..... also stayed in 3m
    4a/4b tiny penspring curls
    Lifelong natural i.e. never relaxed

hair growth journey
    http://public.fotki.com/boboleta/
  • 3jen3jen Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies (including the offlist one I can't figure out how to reply to :? ) You gave me some good ideas to try.

We've had the book It's All Good Hair for a few years and love it. My DD loves to flip through it and pick a style to try. :D It seems like we could do more when her hair was shorter though. I used to love to part her hair into all those triangles/octagons, but for some reason I can't imagine doing all that geometric parting with hair this long to braid as well :shock:

I tried two strand twists again last week for the first time in a while and they just unravelled in 1-2 days. I'm going to try using some aloe vera gel next time I do them, and I'll try braiding the ends too--I never thought of that. It's so true that twisting is much easier and quicker than braiding and her hair holds twists pretty well. Maybe if I did it while the hair is damp rather than wet.... We used to do them all the time, but they seemed to hold up better when her hair was shorter.

For the last year and a half or so if the humidity is low I just put it in 4 braids, then have a braidout for 1-2 days. It looks good and that's certainly the least time consuming style, but her hair does tangle if it's in only 4 braids so there are some tears at wash time, and in summer it tangles waaaay tooooo muuuuch, hence the 16 braids.

Yesterday I tried single strand twists for the first time. About 35 of them. They look so cute! I'm sure they will be fuzzy at the roots by tomorrow but I can gather them into ponytails which solves that problem. That might become a regular style for us as it is similar to what her hair does by itself so I'm hoping it will hold up well.

I like the idea of having her hair professionally braided. I've never been able to do neat cornrows (and the thought of doing all that parting and braiding then having it look fuzzy the next day scares me off) so one day we'll try that. She would LOVE to not have her hair styled so often. I'm such a DIY person though and I hate parting with $$$...

Mariposa--what leave-in do you recommend for the fro? Usually the only leave in I use is the Suave Coconut Conditioner that I no poo with (I leave her hair saturated with it every time) and sometimes I add some Lusters No-Drip S-Curl (which is good for shine/smoothing and leaves no build up). Is there something that will prevent tangling?

Thanks again for the help!

Jen
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    My comment was actually meant as an encouraging compliment, sorry the context didn't come across right.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file