Upgraded board

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
We've upgraded the board; please be patient while we adjust to the new look and feel. We'll be making adjustments as we go.

Let me know what you like/don't like.
Remember, some things take time to get used to.

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    It's definitely going to take some getting used to, but I like it!!

You guys are the best!! Thanks for a great site! icon_biggrin.gif
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users
    Things are looking great so far!!! I have even seen some changes made right before my eyes this morning!

I really like the ease of being able to select the smiley faces and UBB code from the "bank" below the reply space-- I could never remember all of the codes in the first place and now I don't have to! icon_biggrin.gif

I also like the addition of member #'s and the hometown profile!

Excellent so far! NC.com, you just keep getting better!!! I am so glad that I have been here from the very beginning (late 1998) to see you grow!!!

Congratulations!

Sher
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
  • hairhealthhairhealth Posts: 90Registered Users
    I never noticed this Feedback Section before. I love the new format. Instant Graemlins!!!!! For sections that have more than one page, now you can just click on the page you want without going to the first page initially, then navigating where you want, you can view the last topic without going into the boards, I wish the grid lines were still there, but hey, the board is excellent, and I look forward to great navigating as well as super topics!!!!!!yeaaaaa
    growout from baldy since 10/11
    modified cg; cones & mild sulfate 'poo
    -cowash: fave 2: vo5 strawberry
    -rinseout:herbal essencesbodyenvy;color mehappy
    -leave in: infusium 23 repair/renew spray
    -dc: gvp conditioning balm

www.fotki.com/browncoily :toothy4:
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I miss the grid lines, too. Or at least alternating colors to better delineate messages. I'll go over the admin settings tonight to see if I can change that.

I've also noticed that if we use too many Graemlins in posts, pages take forever to load, so we may want to be judicious about that.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I'm not sure that the light bulbs are working. They are always showing lit up...but I know I've read the posts.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • spanish_curlsspanish_curls Posts: 14Registered Users
    Oh wow, i have not been here for a few days -and i come back and its totally different!..
    It's going to take some adjusting but I like the new look and the new features icon_smile.gif..

Although, i can of prefer the gridlines...
    Its amazing how much things have changed this board and how much it has grown since i started coming here way back in July 99....it feels good to have been part of this growth...

Thanks, for a great board!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curlygreeneyes:
    I'm not sure that the light bulbs are working. They are always showing lit up...but I know I've read the posts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think ya have to leave the site then come back. I tried "refresh" but it did not work.

icon_cool.gif
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• naturaltnaturalt Posts: 175Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The light bulbs are working for me. I like that there is a link for web sites and I like that private message thing too. So people who are shy about giving out their personal emails and use that.

The alternating colors would definitely be great since it looks like some messages are running together.

I like the location listing too!

I saw something earlier today about ratings, but it was gone before I could check it out.
    cloud9.gif
  • GracycurlygirlyGracycurlygirly Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hi!
    Wow! This board is sooo different. It will definetly take some getting used to! But, I like it I wish the gridlines were back though! icon_sad.gif Anyway, Michelle & Gretchen, thanks for all your hard work!!!
    -Gracy
    3a/b
    "Despite everything, I still believe all people are good at heart"
    -Anne Frank

"This diva needs her stage, baby!"
    -Rent
  • GayleGayle Posts: 7Registered Users
    I also wanted to thank you guys for all your hard work! The new board will take some getting used to, but considering I visit the site about 20 times a day, I should be used to it by Friday! icon_biggrin.gif
    "I fear that one day I'll meet God, He'll sneeze, and I won't know what to say." --Ronnie Shakes
  • Lil 'CLil 'C Posts: 3Registered Users
    Wow you guys are amazing !!

Oh Geez ... I just wrote a message but the flood control thingie caught me so I have to do it over.

The only things I don't like are the fact that when you go back, your post is gone (like what just happened to me)

and you can only do 8 smilies in a post !!

Oh well, I like the easy acsess to the smilies and instant ubb codes.

icon_smile.gif
    icon_biggrin.gif
    icon_wink.gif
    icon_razz.gif
    icon_cool.gif

Thanks !!

Lil 'C icon_smile.gif
    Lil'C ... 15 Year old curly

Don't make me promises baby you never did know how to keep them well
  • corkscrewedcorkscrewed Posts: 34Registered Users
    Thanks Gretchen and Michelle,
    I love the new features! the private messages are so cool!

Here's another site I frequent that uses UBB. www.soulcysters.com they use the color differentiations for the messages and have some other very cool features too! It might be worth checking it out.
  • musicatmusicat Posts: 19Registered Users
    Hi Gretchen and Michelle,

Thanks for all of the work you put into this site! It's the best!!

I have a quick question about the new board. When we are done with a particular session on CurlTalk, is it preferable to log out in addition to exiting the browser? I never did this before; I would just exit my browser when I was done with a particular session (that way the colored folders would be correct when I got back in showing which threads had new posts, etc.).

So, is it cleaner/preferable to log in and log out each time, or is exiting the browser sufficient?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif
    Hair type: 2A/3A; soft, fine, thin
    Products: Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo;
    Robert Craig color
  • DivastateDivastate Posts: 2Registered Users
    Great stuff!! I really like the new board- plus its loading much faster for me than the old one did. Definitely like the new profile pictures too icon_smile.gif
    3c/4a 100% natural 100% curly 0% lyes
    "I love my hair in its Afro...It's like a halo, like antennae, like some idea that started in the soul and couldn't stop so it had to keep on going until it found its conclusion back in the source of creation." - Carolivia Herron
  • CurlyLaurenCurlyLauren Posts: 18Registered Users
    I agree about the lines, Gretchen! Without them, my eyes hurt.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Thanks for all your feedback.
    I got the lines in here, as you can see. I'll work more on getting alternating colors, too; I think that'd be even better. I think it'll be easy; I just gotta work on it.

Good question on the logout thing; my initial guess is that it doesn't matter, that quitting the browser takes care of it. But I'll try to read about it.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • RagdollRagdoll Posts: 7Registered Users
    Great!!! Thanks for your hard work to make my home away from home so nice icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif
    Oh, and in the profile area, I added a spot to put your hair type! (Thanks to reader request!) icon_smile.gif

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • raven mraven m Posts: 1Registered Users
    the board looks nice -- good job!

i think there may be a little too much information in each individual post -- seems a little cluttered almost. things like "member" status and member # seem a bit unnecessary to me.

if would be great though if each post displayed the poster's hair type since that question is always asked. i'd say leave "member" status and member # in the profiles, and keep them out of the posts.

of course, i am a fan of minimalism, simplicity and necessity when it comes to BB boards.

and, as you already mentioned, the pages take A LOT longer to load.
    3c or something.
  • musicatmusicat Posts: 19Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gretchen:
    Good question on the logout thing; my initial guess is that it doesn't matter, that quitting the browser takes care of it. But I'll try to read about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Gretchen! I know you're busy with a bunch of issues. I tried it both ways (quitting the browser with logging out vs. quitting the browser without logging out). It seemed to work fine both times, but I just didn't know if I should get into the habit of logging out to prevent possible corruption of my account, etc.

The lines and other changes are great! Again, thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: musicat ]
    Hair type: 2A/3A; soft, fine, thin
    Products: Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo;
    Robert Craig color
  • SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users
    Ok-- I've done a bit more browsing and I have two issues:

1. I don't like the fact that we can't e-mail people anymore... the personal private messages are inconvenient.

2. There definitely needs to be some lines on the thread page which define the boundries more clearly where one post ends and another begins.

Other than that... love it!
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
    OK, I've alternated the colors; that should make it even easier to differentiate posts.
    I've turned on "signatures," which means you can edit your profile to include a signature that will always be placed at the end of your post. You can put your hair type here. I can't put it to the left, under your name. Nor have I found a way to get rid of "member" over there. I can trun off "member #xxx" but jury seems to still be out on that one.

I'll keep checking into the e-mail thing.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Here's a test post to see what a signature looks like.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • LinseyLinsey Posts: 3Registered Users
    I keep on seeing/learning new things! I can now see where everyone is from. wow!

cheering.gif
  • Ronda615Ronda615 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I like the NEW format! I have another suggestion. How about adding our age to either the profile or the signature.

Just a thought! Ronda icon_wink.gif
    *****3a/b******
    *****Ronda*****
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a question and I think the answer might be because of a more updated browser at my home, but I'm not sure. The Message Icons I see on my home computer are differnet (the new ones) than the ones I see on my computer at work. Why is this?
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • sapphire963sapphire963 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hi there icon_smile.gif
    I LOVE the new look.
    I am having one problem though. After I post a reply and it says to "sit tight we are taking you back to ......." it sits literally forever. I always have to either refresh or hit my back key both of which will tell me "there is flood control to try posting again in a few seconds"
    HUm.... otherwise I love it!
    Now hip length 3 a,b,c,d (??) golden brown sorta curly, sorta wavy hair. :-)
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like the new look, now that you put back the grid lines and added the alternating colors. That really helps! That's a good idea to put our hair type in the signature too.

I kind of like the private messages---maybe it will keep the "arguments" in private. icon_smile.gif
    You can still email too, you just need to go into the profile first.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Thanks, y'all; we'll continue to work on it.
    Riotkitty, my guess is it's the browser thing. Which looks better, the upgraded broswer at home or the old one at work? Which brower/computer are you using?

And I agree that sometimes it takes forever to get back to where you were. It drives me crazy, too, and I've asked our ISP guy to check into it. It could be our server, which means you guys'll have to buy a bunch of hats and t-shirts so we can afford to buy a new one. Haha! Just kidding. We'll see what the problem is and try to fix it.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Oh, and flood control is something we have turned on to prevent hackers from flooding the boards with a bunch of bogus posts. It won't let a single user post more than x msgs in x amount of time. I'll check to see that the settings are reasonable.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file