CurlTalk

Pics of Short 3c Hair?

EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
Hi, I'm currently transitioning with a curly mohawk type hairstyle (haha). My hair is natural on the sides and back, but still very short, so I'm trying to figure out my curl pattern. It seems like there there coffee stirrer/pencil sized curls, so 3c/4a combo? I was wondering if any of you guys have pics of short 3c hair (TWA - curly fro length); usually I see pics of shoulder length hair or longer, so i was wondering what it looks like shorter. Also, about how long does it take curly hair to grow out? I assume longer for seeing length because of the curls...

Any help would be great, thanks!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube
Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Really short (and dyed golden brown)

img005.jpg

Less short, Feb. 2008:

043-copy.jpg

Everyone's hair grows at a different rate, but an average is about .5 inches per month.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    Thanks Bekka, you have great hair! When my hair was shaved (long story, haha) it looked pretty similar to yours. I have a bunch of pics on my blog -- questfortheperfectcurl.wordpress.com.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    I like your cut! It's really funky.. :happy10:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    Here is some of mine:

DSCF2998-vi.jpg

DSC_0890-vi.jpg

I'm not sure if this is too short :/ I would recommend getting your hair trimmed by a professional to shape it though. I wish that I did because my hair is uneven.
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users
    Here are pics of my 3c/4a hair when I started my journey, I was NL stretched...

Wash n go
    2l92rup.jpg
    2w6dykg.jpg

My first puff
    3178b9d.jpg
    2n090m0.jpg
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flilnicka4u2nv%2F" class="Popup

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • JerrycurlJerrycurl Posts: 7Registered Users
    que gorgeous~!
  • LucianCurlsLucianCurls Posts: 7Registered Users
    My signature pic is about 1 month after I big chopped. 3C/4A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural 3c/4a
    Last relaxer December 08
    Big Chop 8\1\09
    Pretty! How long did you let it grow out before you bc'ed?

I also wanted to ask you guys...have any of you used regular dye on your hair (not henna)? When I was relaxing I used Feria sometimes...and kind of want to dye again, but am not sure if it will damage my hair. I don't think it really did before...actually, after I dyed my hair shaft was usually smoother and my hair felt fluffier.
    YouTube
  • PeanootPeanoot Posts: 11Registered Users
    i'm looking for some opinions on my curl type. i'm thinking it's 3c/4a? but i'm not quite sure. i rarely can find a picture close-up of the curls and mine are not very long because i've been transitioning from relaxed hair for about 5 months now so my natural hair is only 3-4 1/2 inches long when stretched. i don't see a coil yet just an s shape but that may change when my relaxed hair gets cut off, i think?

any opinions?
    thanks all for this great community! i was going to drive myself batty with researching different techniques for curly hair. i've slowed down now haha.

the picture came out small if you click it i think it'll show a closer view. ^___^
    Looks like 3c to me...although you'll be able to tell better with the relaxed hair cut off. I think my hair is 3c/4a on the sides/back, but I still have relaxed hair up top so I have no idea what it's doing...
    YouTube
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »

I also wanted to ask you guys...have any of you used regular dye on your hair (not henna)? When I was relaxing I used Feria sometimes...and kind of want to dye again, but am not sure if it will damage my hair. I don't think it really did before...actually, after I dyed my hair shaft was usually smoother and my hair felt fluffier.

i have my hair colored all the time. in the summer its often bleached and colored. i have never had any damage from color but i think it has everything to do with the fact that i have it professionally done, and i do frequent protein treatments as well as moisturizing dt's.
  • PeanootPeanoot Posts: 11Registered Users
    Looks like 3c to me...although you'll be able to tell better with the relaxed hair cut off. I think my hair is 3c/4a on the sides/back, but I still have relaxed hair up top so I have no idea what it's doing...

thank you! =D

I can't wait 'til it's long enough for me to cut the relaxed hair! I'm waiting until after winter so that I don't freeze to death. It's already hit below 10 here! (which is late for this area)
  • april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Posts: 345Registered Users
    i'm a 3c/4a (i think), color treated. at this point no matter how i get my hair layered it shrinks up to what you see in the pictures. i prefer my hair short because when i get length i lose my volume.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • gg862gg862 Posts: 2Registered Users
    yes, it does look to be 3C.
  • JustSimplyTishJustSimplyTish Posts: 94Registered Users
    The ladies on here told me I was 3C...So I think I am...Not sure...
    But here is a picture (if I post it right) of my short freshly today chopped hair 1/15...I had colored it lighter and it was extremely damaged and hay dry so I had to do do the BC#2 within two months of the last one ... Oh what fun...

011510drya.jpg
    BC: Jan 1, 2010
    Hair Type: Curly (who knows), Color Treated
    Shampoo:None
    Conditioner: TJ Nourish Spa, Suave Tropical Coconut
    DC: HV Vatika Frosting, TJ Nourish Spa, Joico K-Pak
    Leave In: KCNT, KBB Milk, KBB Nectar
    Moisturizer: KBB Milk, QBRC
    Sealant: HV Cocasta Oil
    Stylers: AV Whipped Gelly, HV Whipped Gelly, UFD Butter
    But here is a picture (if I post it right) of my short freshly today chopped hair 1/15...I had colored it lighter and it was extremely damaged and hay dry so I had to do do the BC#2 within two months of the last one ... Oh what fun...

011510drya.jpg

I can't really tell but it looks like a 3c/3b combo to me! I got tired of trying to figure out my curl pattern because I was told by the Curls expert that I'm a 3c, but I also have some smaller coils on the sides that are bigger than the 4a description (coffee stirrer), but smaller than a straw.
    YouTube
    My hair looks almost identical to that in the back too...so I thought I was 4A...I think I am a mixture of so many it's hard to tell....Your hair is so pretty
    My hair looks almost identical to that in the back too...so I thought I was 4A...I think I am a mixture of so many it's hard to tell....Your hair is so pretty

Thank you! Yours is too. :) Yea, my curls are looser on the top as well, some are almost wavy. There's a lot going on on my head, haha.
    YouTube

Thank you! Yours is too. :) Yea, my curls are looser on the top as well, some are almost wavy. There's a lot going on on my head, haha.

Here is my back...it was hard getting a good shot....But I think we are close

I have wavey on the top and curly on the sides and coils in the back...I'm just all mixed up in the head lol
    back011510.jpg
    Yep! It's pretty close, and you have the forest hair too. :)

My top has "fatter" curls, I'll be interested to see it when it grows out b/c of them getting weighed down.

ps I'm glad you put up a pic with your top a little longer than the sides...my top looks longer b/c the curls are looser and I was afraid of what'd it look like when it started growing out more! But yours looks good.
    YouTube
    Yeah I had him cut the sides shorter today because I always looked like I had a bowl on my head when my hair was all one length...plus my sides grow faster than my top so this will hopefully keep them balanced as it is growing out...hopefully
  • tressedforsuccesstressedforsuccess Posts: 87Registered Users
    @JustSimplyTish: Did you cut your hair like that yourself or did someone else do it? Just asking b/c that's the exact shape/length I want when I BC (sometime this summer) and I'm not sure if I can get it to look like I want on my own.

011510drya.jpg
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
    Here are a few pics of mine. I just BC'd on December 20th. Although I do believe I have more than just one texture in mine.

15247121_475.jpg?1263597435
    untitled11.jpg?t=1263726670
    :love1:3c/4a Hair
    Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
    BC: December 20, 2009
    5yrs Natural
    2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary
    @JustSimplyTish: Did you cut your hair like that yourself or did someone else do it? Just asking b/c that's the exact shape/length I want when I BC (sometime this summer) and I'm not sure if I can get it to look like I want on my own.

Yes, I did the top and the sides and I had my husband help me with the top portion in the back and the back to make sure it was even..well as even as we could eyeball it to be...neither of us are stylist but his sister is and she kinda talked me thru how to do it...because she lives on the other side of town and I was too lazy to drive there
    It was basically just tapered short on the sides blending it back to the back area....The top was left long at the band and cut shorter in layers as it blended back to meet the top of the back...and the back was pretty much just cut in layers longer as it tapered to the neck...I was aiming for a fro hawk type look if that helps...but I didn't want to shave my hair on the sides of the back..I twist the top with gel so that it stands up and just comb it straight up HTH
  • tressedforsuccesstressedforsuccess Posts: 87Registered Users
    @justsimplytish

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions! I'm definitely saving this thread so that I can refer to it when I chop.
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Posts: 827Registered Users
    Im not 3c but check out my pics anyway. Im have very defined 4a hair: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMissKinkyCoily%2Fnew-do%2F" class="Popup
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMissKinkyCoily%2F" class="Popup : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
    @MissKinkyCoily - I looked at your Fotki, your hair is too cute! I can't wait for mine to grow out.

@JustSimplyTish - Concur, thanks for the instructions! I may start twisting my top to stretch for more of a "mohawk" look when it's a little longer since the curls are looser up there.
    YouTube