Root Touch-up ??? between colors

FTFEFTFE Posts: 163Registered Users
I did a search on root touch-ups, but I didn't see any of the "daily" or temporary touch-up wands, pens or crayons mentioned.

I imagine the crayons are out since they use wax and would build up, but what about the mascara type wands or pens?

Anyone try any of them?
CG (modified) since 6/18/2009
ii, 2c/3a?, med/course, porous (I think), normal elasticity
co-wash: Suave green apple, Deva no-poo, Giovanni TTTT, occasional Deva low-poo
condish: playing with NatPathAV, AOHR,
leave-in: KCNT
styling: HE set me up, curl keeper, KCCC, and BRHG

Comments

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I haven't used them. I think the mascara wand type touch up would cause frizz if you applied it to dry hair.
    A marker sounds ok.... just like coloring a picture.
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used the mascara-type wands to touch-up my roots. They work well as a quick fix. :)
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Get the Fanciful rinse in your choice of color and dab it on with a cotton ball.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    crwritt wrote: »
    Get the Fanciful rinse in your choice of color and dab it on with a cotton ball.

Excellent idea! I have used the mascara type before, it left my hair feeling coated and made me break out along the hairline. :( I'll bet the Fanciful would work better. :) I'll have to try it! Thanks! Have you actually done it? Does it work well?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I just use waterproof mascara to touch up - to keep up with my roots I'd have to color every two weeks and I just don't have the time for that. (Major gray roots in dark brown hair...)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • FTFEFTFE Posts: 163Registered Users
    Thanks for the input. Those of you that use the mascara touch up, use it while the hair is still wet, right?
    Does anyone use non-waterproof touch-up? Assuming there is such a thing..

Those who use waterproof, how often you find you need to use it? Do you clarify often?
    CG (modified) since 6/18/2009
    ii, 2c/3a?, med/course, porous (I think), normal elasticity
    co-wash: Suave green apple, Deva no-poo, Giovanni TTTT, occasional Deva low-poo
    condish: playing with NatPathAV, AOHR,
    leave-in: KCNT
    styling: HE set me up, curl keeper, KCCC, and BRHG
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    crwritt wrote: »

Excellent idea! I have used the mascara type before, it left my hair feeling coated and made me break out along the hairline. :( I'll bet the Fanciful would work better. :) I'll have to try it! Thanks! Have you actually done it? Does it work well?

Its one of those daily things. I've used the brown one, frivolous fawn, on my gray roots. I dabbed it on after putting in the gel, then clipped and sat under the dryer. There is mousse or liquid, i'd recommend the mousse since the liquid is pretty runny.
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    FTFE wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. Those of you that use the mascara touch up, use it while the hair is still wet, right?
    Does anyone use non-waterproof touch-up? Assuming there is such a thing..

Those who use waterproof, how often you find you need to use it? Do you clarify often?

I have used the mascara-type on DRY hair. It washes off while shampooing. I don't know if there is a waterproof kind.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    When I say I use mascara, I mean I use mascara. Not mascara-wand hair color, but plain ol' Maybelline waterproof mascara. Obviously not a long-term fix but it covers up the roots and blends them in so I can go three weeks between color instead of just two.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never had problems with the mascara-wand hair color. No build up that I'm aware of. It washes out easily. I like to use it, so I can go longer without dying my hair too.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file