Hey there, new transitioner

paganmistpaganmist Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi! So why am I transitioning? Can you believe it's because of a guy?

So get this: I was attempting to transition. I have type 4a or 4b (I think more 4a because there's a definite natural waviness near the roots, not sure.) Anyhow, transitioning from literally years of relaxers was incredibly tough, with how crazy my hair looked sometimes... kinky at the bottom, straight on the ends. I kept my hair back in ponytails or in braids.

And then I met this guy and fell in love, and immediately relaxed my hair again. Consider it having been "mentally conditioned" to believe that straight hair would be more attractive, especially considering that the boyfriend is caucasian, and has never dated anyone who didn't have straight (or perhaps European-textured) hair.

So one day, after seeing my wet, curly hair (even when relaxed, my hair still becomes tightly curled when wet), he wondered why I didn't leave my hair styled that way. I explained relaxing to him, and he was horrified by the idea. And then we ended up getting into a conversation about why I don't like my natural hair, and what I could do to learn to love it.

As you can imagine, I felt pretty silly for a variety of reasons, including (but not limited to) trying to change myself for someone else... who actually prefers me natural anyhow! It is a relief to not have to think so much about the millions of little rituals I used to do before I would consider myself attractive. Loving my curly/kinky hair seems like a good first step.

So I stopped relaxing (again.) It's only been a couple of months, so there's about an inch worth of new-growth (my hair grows so slowly!) I have since discovered that my natural hair is gorgeous! The new growth is thick, but not as kinky as I once thought. Instead, it has very tight, defined waves, and is kind of naturally glossy when allowed to air-dry. If I had a little more courage, I'd do the big chop, but right now I am trying to figure out ways to make the different textures of my hair work until it is at least a few inches longer.

I've just discovered twist-outs, and am thinking about spending the ~$50 for Miss Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Meringue-p-576.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-meringue]Curly Meringue[/buylink]. If anyone knows of similar products to the curly line which can help my transitioning hair without costing so much, please feel free to share!

I can't wait until I'm 100% natural again. I am 28, and I've been a slave to chemicals since 12. :(

Comments

• drineybeardrineybear Registered Users Posts: 27
    well congrats on finally getting over the hump of loving your naturally textured hair. i am also transitioning for the second time. right now i've just been co-washing my hair in the morning and slicking it back into a ponytail bun with fantasia ic gel (blue). i've tried braid outs and twist outs but those only last for a day b/c my hair is fine so once i sleep on it it's done. i actually bought the miss jessie [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Meringue-p-576.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-meringue]curly meringue[/buylink] and didn't like it. it was really thick and it left my hair with this coated feeling to it and i had this white residue on my hair. i'm not sure if i may have put to much or what. i still have a full jar (only used once), so if you want it i can sell it to you.
    Last Relaxer - April 2006
    Hair Type - 4a (so far from what I can see)
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    Congrats on deciding to go natural! And good luck! :D

A good styling product for you to use is Smooth N Shine's Curl Activator Gel. It acts as a curl enhancer, moisturizer, and styling gel all in one.
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
  • paganmistpaganmist Registered Users Posts: 3
    SYB> Thank you for the suggestion. I think I've seen that before, so I'll give it a try!

driney> I would love to talk with you about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Meringue-p-576.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-meringue]curly meringue[/buylink]. If you e-mail me at paganmist SPAMAT gmail DOT com, we can talk about price/shipping info. If you are in Philadelphia, I can even come and pick it up. :)

Thanks so much!
  • paganmistpaganmist Registered Users Posts: 3
    also: what is "co-washing"?
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Registered Users Posts: 523
    co washing is using conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair.
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • Mixed ChicaMixed Chica Registered Users Posts: 150
    Qurlee Q your hair is so pretty
  • Mixed ChicaMixed Chica Registered Users Posts: 150
    how long did it take you to get your curls back?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file