Anyone else have one kidney...? ~=o}

CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
Or am I the only one? Ever since Fred went to the great kidney pie in the sky 3 weeks ago, I've been surprised at how many people have told me they, or a relative or friend, have lost one as well. Which got me to thinking...I wonder if any fellow curlies are fellow one kidney wonders...
3B, bra-strap length
laidback, very-modified CGer
HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio

Comments

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I still have both, but I was recently very surprised to learn that almost every woman in my office over the age of 40 has had her uterus removed! I know that doctors in general tend to view the female parts as disposable, but geezaloo.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    Sorry, I don't normally pop in this area, but Castella, your term 'geezaloo' just cracked me up. :lol: Of course it's after 1am here so that might make it even funnier. :wink:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • CricketCricket Posts: 205Registered Users
    My mom has only one kidney. She was born with only one, but did not find out until she was pregnant with my older sister.
    3a fine, thin, loose curls
    http://public.fotki.com/CricketCurl/
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I still have everything I was born with except my tonsils. I've asked my doctor to yank out my uterus since I don't use it and it's the major cause of my migraines, but he just laughs at me.
    My cousin has only one kidney (and she is a closet curly). She had bits and pieces of most of her organs removed due to cancer but she has done really fine without them (she even had a baby at 40+ after being told it would never happen).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I have all my organs, but I know someone who was the recipient of a kidney transplant. God bless organ donors.
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    Jeep, my migraines as estrogen-triggered as well. The week before your period, it dips & off you go... I started taking magnesium before bed during that week. (relaxes blood vessels & stops the spasming, which causes that horrible throbbing feeling) Cut my migraines by 70%. Helps insomnia too.

Castella, that still amazes me. When I was taking Women's Studies classes, it was a whole political issue. As more & more becomes known about how the uterus is linked into sexual response & menopause status, Dr's are becoming less eager to take them out, & women are more feisty about hanging onto them.

Yes, I've always been an organ donor, & it really hit home how neat a thing that is.
    3B, bra-strap length
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for the info celticurls. I tried magnesium to no avail. I think after having migraines for over 40 years they are just immune to anything I try. Relpax is still my lifesaver.

I'm still willing to give up my uterus. :)

Organ donors = wonderful people.

ETA - Just in case anyone thinks I'm an idiot (well, I am quite often but not all the time) I realize it's my ovaries that cause the migraines, not my uterus. But the word uterus is funnier and always makes people laugh when I tell them I'm will to sell mine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    LOL jeep. I kind of feel that way about my ovaries, as in "dammit -- these things work too well!" :roll:

Migraines are something else, aren't they. My BF suffers from them as well, but his are triggered by atmospheric changes. Dissolving Maxalt is my HG; can't tolerate any of the others. Feverfew works for him, but not for me. Magnesium works for us both (taken daily). And of all things, Midrin is my fave: cheap, older drug that works w/out side effects for me. Took me years to find the combo of drugs/natural therapies to keep them under good control.
    3B, bra-strap length
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My best friend gave one of hers to her sister,who has lupus.
    That was 25 years ago,and both are healthy and happy :)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • curly in wacurly in wa Posts: 2Registered Users
    My son was born with only one kidney. When we found out we were told that a lot of people were born with only one but don't know it because they've never had a reason to check.
    3b course, dry, very thick, with a tendency to frizz, when dry about 5 inches past my shoulders
    Yes, I'm definitely finding one good kidney (I call mine Ethel) is far, far better than one good one -- dragged down by one sick & failing one (Fred). I feel very, very well these days. Ethel & I are doing just fine on our own.
    3B, bra-strap length

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file