..umm...So what's 'heat trained' hair?

SansSans Registered Users Posts: 11
Hey guys! So I guess my question is what is 'heat trained' hair and is it considered healthy for hair.

Reason for me asking is, I saw a girl with waist length afro textured hair (she said her hair is 4a/b) and she said it is heat trained but it looks very healthy and thick.

I know heat is sometimes the enemy for most people but can hair with heat still look healthy?:shaking2:
It's come to my attention that I'm my harshest critic.
One day I will truly and unequivocally accept myself.
:love1:

Comments

• lsubabiedeelsubabiedee Registered Users Posts: 53
    it's hair that's been permanently straightened completely or a little due to frequent heat usage.

personally, i wouldnt want heat trained hair because it means that i've damaged my hair in someway.

can it be healthy? *shrugs* i guess.
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    Heat Trained= Heat Damaged
    I've had heat damage and trust me, you don't want that. The trained hair tends to be stringy and doesn't curl in the same way as the healthy hair. Its sticks out of the kinks and looks very odd. Not a good look.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • hypnotichypnotic Registered Users Posts: 613
    im lost was her hair straightened? like i said in another post i had heat trained hair and it grew and it looked good...however i couldnt wear it naturally kinky cause i had no kinks left

i'll pass
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • SansSans Registered Users Posts: 11
    hypnotic wrote: »
    im lost was her hair straightened? like i said in another post i had heat trained hair and it grew and it looked good...however i couldnt wear it naturally kinky cause i had no kinks left

i'll pass

No her hair wasn't silky straight, it just didn't have define curls but I assumed it was because it was so long.
    It's come to my attention that I'm my harshest critic.
    One day I will truly and unequivocally accept myself.
    :love1:
  • NikG20NikG20 Registered Users Posts: 461 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with heat trained is heat damaged.

My hair is naturally thick and curly (I'm mexican/white) Not sure of my curl type but due to yearsssssss of flat ironing I have completely flat ironed my curls OUT! Now, after washing my hair, instead of it curling up it's kinda straight with a slight wave. It doesn't even curl up anymore. :sad7:

This is how my hair looks now after all of the heat damage. This was taken after washing my hair and letting it air dry.
    l_376835b70ae54934b2e1c9d298182e9b.jpg
    As you can see, not a lot is going on. It's just lifeless.

Anywayyyy, I'm on the 4A board for my daughter but I figured I would share my personal experience.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    It's damaged hair. My grandmother used that term, years ago, to describe hair that won't kink up when wet.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    NikG20 wrote: »

My hair is naturally thick and curly (I'm mexican/white) Not sure of my curl type but due to yearsssssss of flat ironing I have completely flat ironed my curls OUT! Now, after washing my hair, instead of it curling up it's kinda straight with a slight wave. It doesn't even curl up anymore. :sad7:

This is how my hair looks now after all of the heat damage. This was taken after washing my hair and letting it air dry.

Anywayyyy, I'm on the 4A board for my daughter but I figured I would share my personal experience.

is that your daughter in your avatar? she's so cute!!!
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
    Sans wrote: »

i'll pass

No her hair wasn't silky straight, it just didn't have define curls but I assumed it was because it was so long.

i see, i mean i think having long hair can perhaps "elongate" the curl giving it a stretched appearance.

but if she's using phrases such as "heat trained" i think she is trying to mask the fact that her hair is permanently damaged
    Cowash Conditioner:
  • jamaica68jamaica68 Registered Users Posts: 85

Totally off topic, I just checked out your blog and your daughter is adorable and her hair is too cute with all the different styles.:)
  • werenumber2werenumber2 Registered Users Posts: 260
    Haha, I remember being on another forum (not for hair) and this girl so happy about the fact that now when she wears her usually flat-ironed hair curly, the curls are so much looser than they used to be. I told her it was because of the heat-damage and she was amazed. It never occurred to her that would be the cause.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
    hypnotic- yes that's my daughter...thank you!!! :)

jamaica68- thanks so much!

Sans- I wanted to add, I think hair with heat can still look healthy but it's all a front. Heat damaged hair is unhealthy. But, most people think my hair is healthy. I know better though.:thumbdown: I cut 8 inches off months ago after having my son, thinking it would start curling up more but nope. I guess I have to cut much more off. And I will soon enough.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Upon further reflection, I think "heat trained" would describe a small section of my hair near the temple. I bought a flat iron recently and it gets HOT. I think I overdid it, but, luckily, just in that small patch.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212

i see, i mean i think having long hair can perhaps "elongate" the curl giving it a stretched appearance.

but if she's using phrases such as "heat trained" i think she is trying to mask the fact that her hair is permanently damaged

+1
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Registered Users Posts: 384
    As someone who used to have "trained" hair via heat damage from blow dryers + pressing combs + hot curling irons, I wasn't trying to mask what was really going on--I was just an ignorant child. That was what my stylist and family taught me to call it. I know my family wouldn't have seen it as heat damage. I do wonder if my stylist did . . . *smh*
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    If your hair is heat damaged, couldn't you just cut it off to get your curls back? Not that you'd want to cut all of your hair off (obviously) but I mean...in essence, you *could* do that, right?
    comic-p.jpg
  • mwedzimwedzi Registered Users Posts: 86
    If your hair is heat damaged, couldn't you just cut it off to get your curls back? Not that you'd want to cut all of your hair off (obviously) but I mean...in essence, you *could* do that, right?

Absolutely, just like if you have a relaxer and want your curls back.

Heat-trained is hair that has had high enough heat applied, or heat applied frequently enough, that it has less of a curl pattern than it regularly would. It can range from just making it slightly less curly to making it almost straight. It is damaged, though in my opinion it is no more damaged than hair that is made less curly through chemicals like relaxers. And it can still grow long. Whether it looks good depends on if you like the look of the damage (just like with relaxers).

My cousin has hair below her waist that is natural type 4 heat trained hair. I haven't seen it since I've been on hair boards so I can't say what I would think of the look now, but she definitely has the longest hair in our family.
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    Ok just checking lol. I had someone try to tell me that after I stopped perming my hair, I would never know what my "real" hair type/texture was b/c I permed it. I was like: ummm even if I cut off all the relaxed ends? She was trying to tell me that the new growth growing was permanently changed. I really hope a lot of women don't actually believe this. I think it could prevent women from going natural. She was saying that u could never get ur original texture back. It bothered me especially b/c she is so bright...I wonder if a lot of women think this.
    mwedzi wrote: »

Absolutely, just like if you have a relaxer and want your curls back.

Heat-trained is hair that has had high enough heat applied, or heat applied frequently enough, that it has less of a curl pattern than it regularly would. It can range from just making it slightly less curly to making it almost straight. It is damaged, though in my opinion it is no more damaged than hair that is made less curly through chemicals like relaxers. And it can still grow long. Whether it looks good depends on if you like the look of the damage (just like with relaxers).

My cousin has hair below her waist that is natural type 4 heat trained hair. I haven't seen it since I've been on hair boards so I can't say what I would think of the look now, but she definitely has the longest hair in our family.
    comic-p.jpg
  • LynneryLynnery Registered Users Posts: 303
    Haha, I remember being on another forum (not for hair) and this girl so happy about the fact that now when she wears her usually flat-ironed hair curly, the curls are so much looser than they used to be. I told her it was because of the heat-damage and she was amazed. It never occurred to her that would be the cause.

LOL thats funny. I was on a hair board and women actually wanted to heat stretch their hair so it would be wavy.

But anywho- is it true that if you wear your hair stretched most of the time that your curls won't revert back as much? Like most curlies have a looser texture in the front because of wearing their hair pulled back most of the time. I heard this on Nappturality.

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Registered Users Posts: 793 Curl Neophyte
    Lynnery wrote: »

LOL thats funny. I was on a hair board and women actually wanted to heat stretch their hair so it would be wavy.

But anywho- is it true that if you wear your hair stretched most of the time that your curls won't revert back as much? Like most curlies have a looser texture in the front because of wearing their hair pulled back most of the time. I heard this on Nappturality.

There is some degree of truth to that. Because it is a form of stretching. I didn't know a thing about heat damage until I came on to this board. I thought my hair just had a bunch of different textures. Good thing is after cutting it off my hair got even thicker.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte

NikG20, OMG your daughter is so cute!!! I love her hair! You do a great job on her hair.

Oh and sorry you lost your curls. My stepdaughter was using a curling iron every day and now she has straight pieces, curls, its terrible. I have been babying her hair since we took custody and it looks much healthier. Her hair is MBL and I will most likely trim an inch here or there for a few months until her hair is healthy.

I've heard about "heat training" hair while at the salon. Its a bunch of BS! Plus I would imagine your hair will eventually get split ends.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Thank you!!! & What a great step mom you are to be taking such good care of her hair!! And YES split ends out of this world!!!!!!! Before I got my hair cut I tried taking a picture to show people that my hair WAS crappy, lol, but the split ends wouldn't show up in the picture, go figure.
    mariag002 wrote: »

NikG20, OMG your daughter is so cute!!! I love her hair! You do a great job on her hair.

Oh and sorry you lost your curls. My stepdaughter was using a curling iron every day and now she has straight pieces, curls, its terrible. I have been babying her hair since we took custody and it looks much healthier. Her hair is MBL and I will most likely trim an inch here or there for a few months until her hair is healthy.

I've heard about "heat training" hair while at the salon. Its a bunch of BS! Plus I would imagine your hair will eventually get split ends.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
    "Heat trained". I have heard it all. That's bad. There was a girl I used to work with who was natural, but got her hair straightened, and now it will not revert back. It doesn't even really look that good when she doesn't get it straightened, because there is barely a pattern there.

I used a blowdryer on my hair once since going natural. It was back in May. My oldest son wanted to see how long my hair had gotten so I blew it out a little. I never tried to get it straight just "out" LOL It took about 4 days (and a lot of co-washing)for my curls to get back like they were prior to the blow drying.

Needless to say, I will not be doing that again - although I would love to see my hair straigntened with the henna - I bet it would be fierce - but I will never know! LOL
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Registered Users Posts: 551
    I think whether you determine Heat Trained as damaged or not is relative to your view of how you want your hair.

I don't call relaxed hair damaged although it is permanently straight. Therefore i don't call hair that has been Heat Trained damaged.

What has happened is that the heat has permanently changed the shape of the hair. However if it isn't breaking off or shedding like crazy then i don't think it's "damaged". I think you have to be careful with that term.

I think moreover it's important for people to know that continued pressing will permanently straighten the hair overtime because it will change the structure of the hair.

I don't know that i think structure change=damage.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
    That makes sense. I have a few pieces in my hair that (after reading this thread!) I suspect are heat trained. The reason I say this is b/c they are of a looser curl and there are only a few strands. So I doubt I have a diff texture in this one tiny random spot. I think its "heat trained" but it doesn't behave like damaged hair. I think I just need to get a trim.
    h2wQueen wrote: »
    I think whether you determine Heat Trained as damaged or not is relative to your view of how you want your hair.

I don't call relaxed hair damaged although it is permanently straight. Therefore i don't call hair that has been Heat Trained damaged.

What has happened is that the heat has permanently changed the shape of the hair. However if it isn't breaking off or shedding like crazy then i don't think it's "damaged". I think you have to be careful with that term.

I think moreover it's important for people to know that continued pressing will permanently straighten the hair overtime because it will change the structure of the hair.

I don't know that i think structure change=damage.
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file