Honey?

CurlyFlixCurlyFlix Registered Users Posts: 58
I read on someone's blog that they used honey on their hair as a conditioner - is this a good idea? Can you use any honey (e.g. supermarket's own brand) or should you splash out on getting a great brand?

I'm thinking of using honey now and then as a sort of deep conditioner, would that work for my hair?

Thanks for your help!

:D
[FONT=&quot]Hair type:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 3a/3b, 'tanned blonde', fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity, fine texture, naturally curly hair.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Conditioner:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Pure Coconut Oil Conditioner worked in, left for several minutes, washed out, second gentler application, left in for 3 minutes, washed out.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Styling:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Boots Essentials Curl Creme or Styling Mousse for Curls[/FONT]

event.png

Comments

• YanoiYanoi Registered Users Posts: 18
    Yup, I have 4a type hair and i use honey in my conditioner. I mix honey with coconut oil and sometimes I'll add olive oil in a V05 or Suave conditions (cheap). It leaves my hair super soft and manageable. Plus contrary to what you may believe, it's quite easy to rinse off.
  • MochachinoMochachino Registered Users Posts: 191
    Be careful using honey because it can lighten your hair color. It happened to me.
    I've got a pair of ruby slippers that I don't wear much anymore
    And if I had the nerve I'd click my heels and return o the wonderland I knew before
    Alana Davis "Crazy"
  • belasunabelasuna Registered Users Posts: 599
    Mochachino wrote: »
    Be careful using honey because it can lighten your hair color. It happened to me.

Honey will lighten your hair only if you use 1/2 cup or more and mix it with water. Honey needs water to react with the molecules to lighten the hair. Most honey hair lightening recipes require 1/2 cup honey and 1 1/2 cup water. This produces peroxide which lightens the hair. The honey mix must be left to set 1-8 hours to produce the hydrogen peroxide. In general there is only a small amount of peroxide molecules in honey which is why you needs a large amount to actually lighten hair.

So no need to fear. If you are only adding 1-2 tbs to your hair for a few minutes to condition, it probably won't lighten your hair. And just to make sure I would not leave it in your wet hair for a long time.

The honey and coconut oil combo sounds real nice. I've used honey + olive oil which worked well also. (I have dark brown hair and left it on for 20 minutes with no hair lightening). And I just used the plain old supermarket brand honey.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyFlixCurlyFlix Registered Users Posts: 58
    How much does it lighten your hair? Say with my hair (see my signature and profile pics) would it look more blonde than light brown?
    [FONT=&quot]Hair type:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 3a/3b, 'tanned blonde', fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity, fine texture, naturally curly hair.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Conditioner:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Pure Coconut Oil Conditioner worked in, left for several minutes, washed out, second gentler application, left in for 3 minutes, washed out.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Styling:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Boots Essentials Curl Creme or Styling Mousse for Curls[/FONT]

event.png

• elm0505elm0505 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Yanoi wrote: »
    Yup, I have 4a type hair and i use honey in my conditioner. I mix honey with coconut oil and sometimes I'll add olive oil in a V05 or Suave conditions (cheap). It leaves my hair super soft and manageable. Plus contrary to what you may believe, it's quite easy to rinse off.

I always mix honey and coconut oil to my fave conditioner when I want a deep conditioning effect. Not only it leaves my hair shiny, nourished and soft but I've also discovered that honey helps avoiding shrinkage, turning my curls into waves (and I love it!)
    -Goal: loooooong curls that don't shrink like mad
    -Hair type: 3c
    -Cowashing every 2/3 days with Flex Revlon conditioner for normal hair
    -1 weekly shampooing with Creme of Nature (red label) + 1 weekly deep conditioning with Loreal Elvive Re-Nutricion
    -Styling with coconut & almond oil. Sometimes S-curl
    -Monthly clarifying with Pantene Clarifying
  • belasunabelasuna Registered Users Posts: 599
    CurlyFlix wrote: »
    How much does it lighten your hair? Say with my hair (see my signature and profile pics) would it look more blonde than light brown?

Consistent use of honey (with water) will lighten your hair over time, similar to the lightening that happens during the summer time. I don't think honey will change your hair an entire shade unless you use a ton of it to produce tons of hydrogen peroxide and even then you'd have to do this all the time. The color will depend on if you have red or gold undertones.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyFlixCurlyFlix Registered Users Posts: 58
    belasuna wrote: »
    CurlyFlix wrote: »

Consistent use of honey (with water) will lighten your hair over time, similar to the lightening that happens during the summer time. I don't think honey will change your hair an entire shade unless you use a ton of it to produce tons of hydrogen peroxide and even then you'd have to do this all the time. The color will depend on if you have red or gold undertones.
    Great thanks, that really helps!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

event.png

• gypsyoftheworldgypsyoftheworld Registered Users Posts: 54
    I use honey in my deep treatments. I mix about a tablespoon of natural honey, bought from the local farmers, olive oil, and i put that in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Then i mix some giovanni deeper conditioner into the mix and apply it to wet hair and leave it up in a tshirt towel for about half an hour to an hour. i've noticed my hair getting lighter, but only my natural highlights seem to be affected.
  • curledlovecurledlove Registered Users Posts: 444
    I do the same as gypsyoftheworld, but my hair hasn't gotten lighter. Remember everyone's hair is different. Also, after reading about so many ladies on here doing it, I tried something new last time I washed. I put some honey in my hair mixed with my rinse out condish. I left it in while I did the rest of my shower and then rinsed. My hair is still super soft and shiny (3days later) and it relaxed the curls a bit too because I have a lot less shrinkage.
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • coscasscoscass Registered Users Posts: 90
    This is only my second time using honey, and I LOVE it. I have really dry hair, and it's always crunchy and straw-like. It took me forever to figure out that what I needed was MOISTURE, not PROTEIN! I tried all the moisture conditioners, all the deep conditioners- they didn't do squat.

Eventually I tried olive oil, which, in ANY dosage, proved to be too MUCH for my hair. Then, out of curiosity, I tried honey. I got amazing curl, and amazing shine.

I colour my hair red (it's a different shade every time, a little lighter, a little darker) will it lighten my hair? I don't really mind, to be honest. I just don't want ORANGE hair.
  • angiekayangiekay Registered Users Posts: 137
    Some have said they mix honey with their fav wash out condish, heat it up, apply to wet hair, wrap in a t-shirt or whatever, and leave on for 1/2=1 hour......

Curious, can you mix a teaspoon of honey like this to say.....Vive Pro Nutri Gloss condish to do a deep treatment? I mean does it really have to a particular brand to do this?
  • coscasscoscass Registered Users Posts: 90
    angiekay wrote: »
    Some have said they mix honey with their fav wash out condish, heat it up, apply to wet hair, wrap in a t-shirt or whatever, and leave on for 1/2=1 hour......

Curious, can you mix a teaspoon of honey like this to say.....Vive Pro Nutri Gloss condish to do a deep treatment? I mean does it really have to a particular brand to do this?

I'm no expert, but I don't see why WHAT condish you mix it with should matter. Honey is a humectant(sp), after all. It's just going to lock the moisture in and give you shine and all that good stuff.

I've never applied the honey directly to my hair, though, I always mix it in with my condish.
  • curledlovecurledlove Registered Users Posts: 444
    You're right, it doesn't really matter what you mix the honey with, it benefits your hair regardless. I've used honey in my DTs, mixed with HEHH, and alone. All of these techniques give me great results: soft, shiny, manageable hair for at least 4 days.
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • angiekayangiekay Registered Users Posts: 137
    Thanks girls!! I'm def going to do this as DT tomorrow!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file