if you use a leave-in conditioner...why?

SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I always use a leave-in conditioner, whether I CO wash or WO wash. I need it for detangling. Also, my hair is dry, so I like the bit of extra conditioning I get.

Why do you use a leave-in?
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I do on a fairly regular basis, mostly for extra conditioning but also for curl definition and stopping the frizzies. That said, it has to either be very little of a LI or it has to be very light weight.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    LI are absolutely necessary for me. I know that some use a regular condish for a LI but usually condishes are heavier on the surfactants and lower on the moisturizers and oils (obv. not always!!) so I usually use a LI, except for AOHR or EO.

Anyway, LI's help with detangling, moisture, setting my hair against frizz, curl formation, you name it. Sometimes I use 2 LI's in the routine.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I voted to reduce frizziness as that's the main reason, but I also use it as a curl cream for curl definition. I don't need hold so a leave-in does the job for me.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • sweetypiesweetypie Posts: 86Registered Users
    I use a leave-in for extra moisture, really. Now that the weather has changed I use it more often now.

4b
    BC May 2009
    less product is enough
  • janieboojanieboo Posts: 141Registered Users
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    I voted to reduce frizziness as that's the main reason, but I also use it as a curl cream for curl definition. I don't need hold so a leave-in does the job for me.

Boomygrrl, your dog is adorable!!

To the OP - I use it because [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] seems to work best with it, and to add extra moisture. Can only use a little though, otherwise I lose my wave.
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I do on a fairly regular basis, mostly for extra conditioning but also for curl definition and stopping the frizzies. That said, it has to either be very little of a LI or it has to be very light weight.

+1

I voted first for the curl definition, because to me my hair doesn't really seem super dry, but for whatever reason, the LI really seems to bring out my waves.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    goobernut wrote: »

+1

I voted first for the curl definition, because to me my hair doesn't really seem super dry, but for whatever reason, the LI really seems to bring out my waves.

You know goobernut....I was thinking from your siggie recently that we're probably darn near to hair twins. :D You just reminded me of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Really? that's cool!

I know my hair is low elasticity. That was one thing I figured out right away. LOL. The other stuff I was kinda iffy on till I got my hair cut and I was informed heh. The majority of my hair is normal porosity, but I know I have big patches of high from the bleach damage, and then patches of low, because that's just the way it grows.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    I use a leave-in conditioner for extra moisture, to help with frizz, and a little bit as a base for my other products :) It's especially needed since the cooler weather is here.

I don't really use it for detangling, as my hair is detangled when I come out of the shower (I gently comb through it with both a wide-toothed comb and my fingers).
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • TreviannaTrevianna Posts: 7Registered Users
    I think it helps keep my 'poof' down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2C/3A MedThick/Coarse/High porosity/damaged
    CO & LI: AOHR, DevaOne, testing Inecto Pure coconut oil
    Curl Enhancers: KCCC, FOTE AVG
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,155Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use it for extra moisture and frizz control.
    3b in South Australia.
    Really? that's cool!

I know my hair is low elasticity. That was one thing I figured out right away. LOL. The other stuff I was kinda iffy on till I got my hair cut and I was informed heh. The majority of my hair is normal porosity, but I know I have big patches of high from the bleach damage, and then patches of low, because that's just the way it grows.

Yeah, I have a leg up because I'm a stylist....so I'm already trained in that stuff. LOL....It's very typical to have different textures as well as different porosities on your head especially if you chemically treat it. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In high humidity, I use it because it loosens the curl a little bit (which I now can't believe I ever want.....)

In winter, I use it because I feel that I need extra moisture.

All year, I use it because it decreases the "crunchiness" of my gels.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I only use it in drier weather, when I need the extra moisture. I guess that helps with frizz too.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users Curl Novice
    I use a leave in to add moisture and act as a buffer for my other styling products that have glycerin (or other humectants) in them. If I use a little KBB Super Silky, then I can still use products that would otherwise dry my hair out.
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• INVUINVU Posts: 90Registered Users

+1

You know goobernut....I was thinking from your siggie recently that we're probably darn near to hair twins. :D You just reminded me of that.

Awesome! Now there are two people I can stalk :laughing6::laughing6:
  • tonsofcurlztonsofcurlz Posts: 323Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The primary reason I use a leave-in is for detangling. Even though I apply all of my products in sopping wet hair, I cannot rake my fingers through my wet curls unless conditioner is present and I need this base coat to start the styling process off right. I know the leave-in also provides extra moisture and aids in curl definition, but they aren't my main reasons for using it.
    3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
    Low Poos:
    MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
    Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
    Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
    Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: SOF540.
    INVU wrote:
    Awesome! Now there are two people I can stalk :laughing6::laughing6:

LOL invu! You probably know more than I do. I should be stalking YOoooooOooou!

• INVUINVU Posts: 90Registered Users
    Oh contrare(?), I wish! I still have much to learn grasshoppah :wink: I have decided to try a leave-in alone tho as soon as my samples come in from Kathymack...gonna try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and CJ CA. I would LOVE to get by with just a leave-in!!!! So this is my new quest...please let me know if you find one you really like.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    janieboo wrote: »
    Boomygrrl wrote: »

Boomygrrl, your dog is adorable!!

To the OP - I use it because [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] seems to work best with it, and to add extra moisture. Can only use a little though, otherwise I lose my wave.

That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file