Detangling vs Definition dilemma x-post

Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I love my hair but I have noticed some crazy changes since doing my final chop.
Sometimes I wash my hair I get great definition other times I don't. And that's naked.
Now I know this has to do with 2 factors 1. products certain products make my hair beautiful others make it look like I got electrocuted. But I have noticed this even before cutting the damaged hair that whenever I detangle with a comb or denman my hair never has definition. But when I was doing finger detangling I had magnificent hair naked, but still so much shed hair trapped in my hair. I've tried both dry with oil and wet with condish detangling but same results. I've tried switching denman brush styles and wide tooth combs. I recently tested out my K-Cutter and now I have definition in the front (yay!) where I had very little more definition and frizzy curls undefined curls in the back. Before I knew if I didn't clumping anywhere else I would get it in the back of my hair at least.
Oh to make matters worst when I do get definition its not from the root its from mid-way down and then it spiral, curls, kinks, coils etc. Why does it do this?
Do I sacrifice definition for detangling or vice versa?
Does anybody have any suggests, tips, advice,guesses, spells, prayers?

Thank you
confused curls
addicted to henna

Fotki

Comments

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Have you ever tried the Super Soaker Method? You get to detangle with a brush and then reclump.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Posts: 240Registered Users
    I have the same problem

I would love to detangle more often (I don't like the idea of having shed hairs just suspended in the web of curls for days and days), but my Denman and wide-tooth comb both ruin my definition.

I wish I had some advice for you, but I haven't found a solution either :dontknow: I just finger detangle as best I can and make sure my hair is saturated with conditioner so that it clumps well.
    certain products make my hair beautiful others make it look like I got electrocuted.
    :laughing3:
    I recently tested out my K-Cutter and now I have definition in the front (yay!)
    Hmm... :study:

Super Soaker...it seems like that would leave my hair so drippy and it would take forever to dry...but I'll give it a hot
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I have the same problem

I would love to detangle more often (I don't like the idea of having shed hairs just suspended in the web of curls for days and days), but my Denman and wide-tooth comb both ruin my definition.

I wish I had some advice for you, but I haven't found a solution either :dontknow: I just finger detangle as best I can and make sure my hair is saturated with conditioner so that it clumps well.
    certain products make my hair beautiful others make it look like I got electrocuted.
    :laughing3:
    I recently tested out my K-Cutter and now I have definition in the front (yay!)
    Hmm... :study:

Super Soaker...it seems like that would leave my hair so drippy and it would take forever to dry...but I'll give it a hot

If you can plop or scrunch with a curl-safe towel, the drying time should be the same. There is also a new thread for a technique by Del2C which I believe involves combing then a way to reclump ; look for the Spritz thread for porous heads.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • AimWardAimWard Posts: 192Registered Users
    But when I was doing finger detangling I had magnificent hair naked, but still so much shed hair trapped in my hair...

I feel you on this one.Though denmans tend to give me pretty good definition, I've learned to live with the trapped shed hair because my breakage has greatly decreased since I've suspended using combs/brushes. I touch my hair with a comb/denman about once or twice a month (mostly to remove the trapped shed hair). This has led to greatly defined curls (with less work) and length. I guess to me, a little trapped shed hair is a small price to pay for nicely defined curls and length.
    I like my gels light, my oils heavy, my conditioners thick, and my curls long...
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First thank you for answering these are the first responses I've gotten.

Why I have never heard of the Super Soaker method, but I am willing to try it.
    My hair is pretty defiant when I detangle it will take a few washes to get it self together. All the products with bad ingredients like mineral oil, petroleum my hair becomes defined. :dontknow:When I use cg products I get a big wad of fuzz and frizz. So I don't know what to do with this hair. I've tried talking to it, buying it pretty new things and it insist on being uncooperative. :mrgreen:I'm on a protective challenge right now so I don't care about definition BUT come summer I like to do my wash-n-gos because other styles don't exactly hold well in my hair due to humidity.
    until then... :banghead::banghead::banghead:
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    When are you detangling? Do you detangle before you rinse out your conditioner, or after you are totally done, right before you step out of the shower?

I had this problem a lot until I learned to detangle while I was conditioning, before my final rinse out. After the final rinse I don't even run my fingers thru my hair.. I just apply my products, add more water, then plop.
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Now I detangle when I pre-poo with oil. Before I detangled in the shower with condish before the dt. And when I first started I detangled after the dt which made things worst. If I do decided to detangle wet with condish I always do it after the poo but before the dt. (I know it's confusing).
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file